Texas Fishing Forum

Jig Questions

Posted By: Lee Finlay

Jig Questions - 07/10/21 01:34 AM

Do you prefer buying or building your jigs?
Where do you get your supplies?
What styles do you prefer? Brands?

I recently bought a few flipping and finesse jig heads and really enjoyed putting them together and hand tying the skirts. I'm looking at TW and Flatlands Custom Tackle, but I'd like to hear your experiences and opinions.

I'd like to buy locally if possible.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Jig Questions - 07/10/21 01:19 PM

I build and customize jigs. I use 5 colors that match the TX. Crayfish.
- Fist jig is done by CAST Industries and is my heavy jig. It has huge eye sockets and deep pit to hold a BB under each eye. The eye provides that sound chamber to give that Crayfish tick. My dome eyes are no longer made; but I still have several in 5 colors.
- The second jig is from Lure Parts on line and has the hidden line tie. I drill the eye sockets to hold the larges 3D Prism eye that it will hold. It is great for pitching, flipping and skipping under docks as well as heavy shoreline cover. It is 1/2 oz.
- I will be glad to help you place your order if you would like to build your own.

Picturing two of the Crayfish and the jigs to match:
1. Creek Craw BB:
In setting traps of each tournament where Jigs were called for; the creeks will produce more of this color in Crayfish. I have built a jig that is Brown and Black with the Tan belly. When the water is up get as far away as possible and use the jig along the lip of the channel.
Order in 3/4 Oz. Only:
Green Pumpkin Head – 6.0 Owner Hook - 1/2 Inch Rattling BB Dome Eye For Sound – Eye is a Clear Dome – Living Rubber Skirt Crayfish Scented – Laminate Craylic Scented Trailer.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

5. Blue Stone Craw Pitching:
Hard Woods and Rocks will hold the Blue Stone Craw next to the shoreline. These are deep water craws and live in the rocks; so work the last vegetation on points and any heavy cover that is holding rocks.
Order in 1/2 Oz. Only:
Black Blue Flake Head - 5.0 Owner Hook – 3D Eye with Black Pupil – – Living Rubber Skirt Crayfish Scented – Laminate Craylic Scented Trailer.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Jig Questions - 07/10/21 01:27 PM

https://fishingskirts.com/ - sells both skirts and jigs.

https://www.lurepartsonline.com/search?keywords=jigs&page=1 - sells both skirts and jigs.

https://barlowstackle.com/ - sells both skirts and jigs.

Re: Jig Questions - 07/11/21 01:42 AM

Great info. Thanks!
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Jig Questions - 07/11/21 02:45 AM

Those are good looking jigs.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Jig Questions - 07/11/21 10:41 AM

Barlow’s is just a few miles from my house and they have everything I need.

Re: Jig Questions - 07/11/21 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
Barlow’s is just a few miles from my house and they have everything I need.

Their website says the retail store is closed indefinitely.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Jig Questions - 07/11/21 04:22 PM

Yes, all orders are now online.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Jig Questions - 07/11/21 04:26 PM

I make all of my own jigs I flip and pitch with. I keep order down to the few I use. I like having the ability to.choose my hook and build a skirt color that works. I buy 99% of my stuff from BOSS.

Re: Jig Questions - 07/12/21 09:59 AM

Mark do you order directly from BOSS?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Jig Questions - 07/12/21 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lee Finlay
Mark do you order directly from BOSS?

Yes.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum