Texas Fishing Forum

Suspended Fish in Timber

Posted By: Walker61

Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 03:19 PM

Anyone care to share tips and tactics for fishing for suspended bass in timber? Like 20 to 25 feet but fish are suspending in down about 10 feet? Fish don’t want to chase. I guess they might break a sweat.
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 03:23 PM

Tried Carolina rigging a 10" Berkley worm?
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 03:29 PM

Drop a spoon with single hook down on top of them.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 03:41 PM

PM sent ... yeah it's a secret
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 04:21 PM

I break some off but I’ll pitch a jig and shake down. If that’s not doing it I’ll throw a senko texas rigged no weight and let it fall right next to the tree.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 04:24 PM

Sounds like the perfect scenario for livescope and a deep diving, suspending jerkbait.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 04:24 PM

^^^
same---1/2oz jig with a boottail trailer comes through deep timber well usually. Agree with senko as stickbaits get through branches well also.

At times, it doesn't hurt to 3/16oz trig pegged or put a nail weight in the senko
Posted By: 361V

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 05:04 PM

Medium diving crankbait banging off the trees. Have had good success stopping your retrieve when you hit the tree/branches. The crankbait floats up and back and that’s often when they hit it. Often!
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
Medium diving crankbait banging off the trees. Have had good success stopping your retrieve when you hit the tree/branches. The crankbait floats up and back and that’s often when they hit it. Often!

I'm with this guy...also a drop shot along the trees doesn't hurt either

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 05:16 PM

Try a DD22 but don't stop, bring it over the branch nice and slow.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 05:31 PM

Umbrella rig and live scope.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 05:32 PM

Fluke on light weighted swimbait hook, drop shot, underspin, 3-4" swimbait and livescope
Posted By: Rog

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 05:49 PM

Magnum fluke or similar type bait on 4/0 or 5/0 offset shank heavy wire hook fished weightless. Cast out count down, twitch twitch, count to 5, twitch twitch. Vary count down and cadence until you get them going. Right now I am catching them in 19-21 fow on a cr fluke on a 3/0 light wire hook with 6 ft mono leader and working it similar to how I would a shallow weightless fluke by twitching the weight hard twice and then letting it sit then repeating. Color has been significant it seems. Let you know once I make trip and stock back up. Lol
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

That don’t always work evidently, saw Josh Jones over here at lunch buying 100$ worth of live perch and have his customers carry them to the boat.
Posted By: Dogfish_Jones

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 07:10 PM

I would try a Neko rig.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Caymas Cx 21

That don’t always work evidently, saw Josh Jones over here at lunch buying 100$ worth of live perch and have his customers carry them to the boat.

Lol, 1000 dollar a day guide trip swimming perch.....
Posted By: Walker61

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 08:03 PM

Thanks all, going tomorrow to see if I can smash em
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 10:03 PM

I thought guys always used drop shots and vertical glass beaded worms for suspended fish in the trees. I would definitely want livescope for this.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 11:34 PM

roflmao
Posted By: Overworked2020

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 11:35 PM

lol. Here we go with the haters that wished they could. Bless your heart.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Overworked2020

Hating on what? Tough fishing, got to do want you got to do to make it happen. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/07/21 11:56 PM

How do you drop shot suspended fish 15 feet above the bottom in trees? Just like a reaction bite?
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
How do you drop shot suspended fish 15 feet above the bottom in trees? Just like a reaction bite?

That’s a damn good question and I’ll not be trying that but I bet Ratz will.

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by rj74955

Same question for Carolina rig, frankly. I’m genuinely asking.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Overworked2020

Hating on what? Tough fishing, got to do want you got to do to make it happen. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

What hook is preferred for swimming these perch ????
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 12:43 AM

Seriously…. I don’t think he read the OPs question if he is suggesting a C-rig for suspended fish. As for a drop shot, you can get directly over the fish, drop it down and stop it in front of their face.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 12:45 AM

Livescope and take Patrick Walters with you. Ride with him on day 1 on Fork two years ago when he caught them 6 feet down in 20 to 30 feet on Vision 110+ jerk baits. He had to mess with them hard to coax them to bite. Most bit quite a distance away from the tree he lured them out of.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rog
Magnum fluke or similar type bait on 4/0 or 5/0 offset shank heavy wire hook fished weightless. Cast out count down, twitch twitch, count to 5, twitch twitch. Vary count down and cadence until you get them going. Right now I am catching them in 19-21 fow on a cr fluke on a 3/0 light wire hook with 6 ft mono leader and working it similar to how I would a shallow weightless fluke by twitching the weight hard twice and then letting it sit then repeating. Color has been significant it seems. Let you know once I make trip and stock back up. Lol

THIS ^^^ whacky rig, (hook the fluke in the middle) no weight, let the Fluke float down , twitch,..twich....makes the fluke look like a dying shad. Fish slow...
I think there's a color called disco violet,..pearlish with a light tint...

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 01:16 AM

Video game fishing, just like they do on the smallmouth up north.

This was the other technique that I’ve read about. Seems simple enough and should be fairly snag resistant.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/arti...odle-slide-how-to-entice-suspended-bass/

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket

Seriously…. I don’t think he read the OPs question if he is suggesting a C-rig for suspended fish. As for a drop shot, you can get directly over the fish, drop it down and stop it in front of their face.

thumb
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 01:45 AM

I have had to force myself to start cranking more and did it more last year than I ever had. cheers

It helped getting a rod designed for them and making myself do it over and over again. thumb
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 03:02 AM

big senkos t rigged?
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 03:04 AM

smallmouth crush mentioned in one of his videos 8 foot leaders....i think he mentioned 8 foot PLUS iirc. That dudes a pretty solid stick so ill trust him....since ill never have the confidence to try! LOL
Posted By: Cheesehead Wes

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 04:41 AM

Split shot rig a fluke/senko/4” hags or you could do it with a pegged light carolina rig. great way to catch em at lah
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 06:18 AM

He's from the OT. Maybe forgive him and hope he sales more vehicles?
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Chasin Hogs
[quote=Duck_Hunter][quote=rj74955][quote=Duck_Hunter]How do you drop shot suspended fish 15 feet above the bottom in trees? Just like a reaction bite?

Guy, Guys, it is NOT "SALES more vehicles" .....ever heard of a verb? "SELLS" is a verb; try it some time!
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 10:55 AM

JB
Posted By: JPeel

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 11:36 AM

Yeah definitely don't try a Carolina rig for fish suspended in timber, unless you want to show them something they aren't used to seeing every day and are likely to eat.

When I fished regular baits, pre swimbait addiction, I had some great summer trips swimming a lighter c rig through tress. It takes some finesse touch to learn how to bring the weight over branches and not get the bait hung up but the technique works. I always used a 8" or larger worm, but a creature bait would work.

I remember reading about that well over 15 years ago.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 12:51 PM

Jerkbait in timber catching suspended fish is all the rage since the Walters win on Fork last fall. Wish I had more confidence in that bait. I'm making myself throw jerkbaits more this yr. Crankbaits work well to though. Those suspended fish will feed up so start shallow and work down. Some people would be amazed what they can catch with a 1.5 size square bill cranking tree tops in 20-50ft of water. I've found that the Rapala DT series cranks also work well . They seem to come through those tree tops better than many other brands and offer lots of options to target fish at various depths.

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 01:25 PM

Thanks, that makes more sense re: drop shot.

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by JPeel
Yeah definitely don't try a Carolina rig for fish suspended in timber, unless you want to show them something they aren't used to seeing every day and are likely to eat.

When I fished regular baits, pre swimbait addiction, I had some great summer trips swimming a lighter c rig through tress. It takes some finesse touch to learn how to bring the weight over branches and not get the bait hung up but the technique works. I always used a 8" or larger worm, but a creature bait would work.

I remember reading about that well over 15 years ago.

Seems like hangups would be the result of most casts, even after you figure out how to finesse it, and a lot of break offs would occur when you hook a fish, especially with light line and multiple knots.

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

Video game fishing, just like they do on the smallmouth up north.

This was the other technique that I’ve read about. Seems simple enough and should be fairly snag resistant.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/arti...odle-slide-how-to-entice-suspended-bass/

Interesting! Thanks for the link.
Posted By: Hammbone

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 01:56 PM

I’ve been Vertical jigging Timber, Points, Creeks, Ledges & drop offs for 50 years. Spoons & jigs in Winter & Wacky worms & Wacky Tubes & Wacky Flukes in the the Summer.
Winter jigging 20-60 ft requires Great Sonar (old school) and delicate slow movements of your bait. 90% of most spoon fisherman, use high sweeping motions of there rods which moves the spoon long distance at a fast rate and the Bass react to the flutter, I found accidentally that leaving the spoon still in the strike zone and adding an occasional side to side wiggle pause and lifting an inch or two allows the Bass to “Home in on” the spoon/bait. Summertime patterns where the Bass are suspended and moving in schools/packs; both fast Flittering and subtle techniques work. My biggest surprise was at Sam Rayburn in Five Fingers, Fishing the “guts” on each side of long points, I would just hold a Wacky tube perfectly still in 20 ft over 40 ft and caught 30 good fish that just swam off with it.
I fish Ray Roberts regularly and this technique works are RR also, summer & winter. I didn’t know I was going on a long rant I will try and add pictures ?
Hope this helps !👍🎣
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 01:59 PM

Livescope is preferred, if they are very picky you can take an 1/8oz grub head and small swimbait and reel it through them with a fairy wand. Move up to 1/4oz if you throw it on a baitcaster on a rod similar to a weightless worm rod and light line (10lb). Don't need live scope but you need to know how fast you bait falls to reach 10ft and throw it out and count it down. Or as others have said get over the top and dropshot but you stand a pretty good chance of spooking them.

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
Jerkbait in timber catching suspended fish is all the rage since the Walters win on Fork last fall. Wish I had more confidence in that bait. I'm making myself throw jerkbaits more this yr. Crankbaits work well to though. Those suspended fish will feed up so start shallow and work down. Some people would be amazed what they can catch with a 1.5 size square bill cranking tree tops in 20-50ft of water. I've found that the Rapala DT series cranks also work well . They seem to come through those tree tops better than many other brands and offer lots of options to target fish at various depths.

thumb
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 08:29 PM

7” M Pack Shad with only a swivel
Posted By: JPeel

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/08/21 11:52 PM

Seems like hangups would be the result of most casts, even after you figure out how to finesse it, and a lot of break offs would occur when you hook a fish, especially with light line and multiple knots.

Not at all. 1/2 oz weight, 2-3' leader, big slow falling worm or creature. Main line 50lb + braid, leader 20lb flouro. Fish on the outer edges or over the tops, keep it swimming until you make contact, hesitate a few seconds and give slack. Raise the rod tip and crank the rig fast a few cranks, repeat. Get bit, crank'em out with a stout reel and heavy rod.

Seriously, if I could figure out how to do it it hammer

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/09/21 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by JPeel

Not at all. 1/2 oz weight, 2-3' leader, big slow falling worm or creature. Main line 50lb + braid, leader 20lb flouro. Fish on the outer edges or over the tops, keep it swimming until you make contact, hesitate a few seconds and give slack. Raise the rod tip and crank the rig fast a few cranks, repeat. Get bit, crank'em out with a stout reel and heavy rod.

Seriously, if I could figure out how to do it it hammer

I learn by example. I might give this a try. Thanks!
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/09/21 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
[quote=Duck_Hunter][quote=rj74955][quote=Duck_Hunter]How do you drop shot suspended fish 15 feet above the bottom in trees? Just like a reaction bite?

Guy, Guys, it is NOT "SALES more vehicles" .....ever heard of a verb? "SELLS" is a verb; try it some time!

thanks
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/09/21 11:34 PM

Neko or jig a blade
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/10/21 11:59 PM

Swim jig, weightless magnum fluke, wacky rig senko w/ hook guard.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/11/21 06:11 PM

Seriously…. I don’t think he read the OPs question if he is suggesting a C-rig for suspended fish. As for a drop shot, you can get directly over the fish, drop it down and stop it in front of their face.[/quote]

Thanks, that makes more sense re: drop shot. [/quote]

Duck you can fish a drop shot just like you fish a crappie jig.....get the depth, get your bait to the depth, and just dead stick it, wiggle it, lift and drop....whatever
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/11/21 06:25 PM

The old unnamed jerkbait seems to catch a bunch.

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/11/21 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by txmasterpo

Thanks, that makes more sense re: drop shot. [/quote]

Duck you can fish a drop shot just like you fish a crappie jig.....get the depth, get your bait to the depth, and just dead stick it, wiggle it, lift and drop....whatever [/quote]

thumb thank you, sir!
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/14/21 09:46 PM

Spinnerbait slow rolled
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/15/21 09:31 PM

Put on a crappie jig and you will catch all you want of those nasty things on the trees.
Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/15/21 10:15 PM

Years ago on fork i used to put a 3/8 worm weight on then tie a balsa b on slide weight up 2-3 ft. and crimp weight. Pitch it out past tree let it fall till it stops then reel slowly till you feel the weight bump a limb hold it for a couple of seconds so bait will float up then slide weight over limb by lifting rod. Let it fall to next limb and repeat. Had some good days doing this with lots of 5-8 lb. bass and two over 10lb.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Suspended Fish in Timber - 07/16/21 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

Susie sales see shales on the see shore and sells away in her sale boat to fine see shales on sail
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum