Texas Fishing Forum

Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius?

Posted By: SC-001

Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 01:25 PM

They do say any press is good press,

Cox disqualified from Elite event

John Cox has had to make several decisions this year in regard to tournament participation as he's attempted to fish a rigorous three-tour schedule. Now one has been made for him: B.A.S.S. has ruled him ineligible for its season-ending Elite Series event at the St. Lawrence River, which gets under way July 15.

Cox was a Top-10 finisher in the recent MLF Bass Pro Tour event at that venue, the timeframe of which fell within the off-limits period for the Elite Series derby. He said he knew the situation he finds himself in was a possibility when he embarked on this journey, but there was still uncertainty about the New York events in late 2020, when he was making his plans, due to ongoing coronavirus concerns. He said he didn't get final confirmation from B.A.S.S. about the DQ until last week.

"I understand the rule, but I'm just disappointed with the outcome," he said. "I'm just kind of shocked that some way couldn't be found to work around it.

"I did bring it up at the beginning, but they (B.A.S.S.) weren't sure either. They said they'd look at it when it got closer, but it was never set in stone what it was going to be. At that time, nobody knew if we were even going to end up going (to New York)."

In a statement issued to BassFan late last week, B.A.S.S. emphasized that it won't alter its off-limits rule to accommodate an individual angler's schedule.

"The Bassmaster Elite Series competition rules are very clear that the off-limits period for events begins 28 days prior to the first practice day," the statement read. "B.A.S.S. is committed to maintaining the integrity of our tournaments by holding every angler to the same rules. Unfortunately, this is not the first time that an angler has been disqualified for violating the off-limits rule."

Cox bypassed two MLF Pro Circuit events (Lake Okeechobee and Lake Murray) in order to compete in Elite Series tournaments on those same dates. The DQ leaves him with virtually no chance of qualifying for either this year's Pro Circuit TITLE championship or the 2022 Bassmaster Classic via the respective points lists.

He's 37th in the Elite Series Angler of the Year standings going into this week's event at Lake Champlain (which he will participate in). He won the Pro Circuit derby at Lewis Smith Lake in March, but is 105th on that list due to having competed in only three of the five tournaments held thus far. He's 20th in the BPT points race and on track to qualify for the 2022 REDCREST.

Cox had petitioned his fellow Elite Series pros via email in an attempt to garner support for his cause. Two veteran Elite anglers contacted by BassFan said that most were supportive of Cox's unprecedented quest, but they were also in favor of the off-limits rule being upheld.

Upon the conclusion of the Champlain Elite event, he might remain at the lake for the Northern Division Toyota Series tournament (July 15-17) or may return to home. The progress of Tropical Storm Elsa, which is scheduled to reach Florida in the next day or so, will be a factor in that decision.

He said his current predicament won't deter him from competing on all three tours again next year.

"I'm sure there's going to be some that overlap, but I'll just be wiser about the ones I skip. I just want to be sure up front without any 'maybes.' If everything's good, I'm okay with skipping certain events."

Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 01:48 PM

While I think it’s cool what he’s doing and certainly admire him for trying, I’d also like to see him pick a tour, like BASS and focus on it and see how good he could be on it. Heck, fish the opens too. Just want to see how good this guy actually is, because I think he has a very special gift and he would be a contender for AOY if he dials in and focuses on 1-circuit.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 02:11 PM

Rules are rules. Nobody should be above them
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 02:34 PM

As long as no rules are broken, these guys are independent contractors paying entry fees ($200-300 for a BFL/MLF event, $5K for a BASS tourney). If he's legally able and has the desire to compete in three tours, I don't see an issue. Of course there are consequences, off limits regulations and scheduling conflicts are just a few as detailed above.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 02:44 PM

Rules are rules but the organization's should get together and come up with Schedules that allow the guys to fish. He earns a living fishing and probably wants to maximize his opportunities. If you want to treat these guys like cattle, ie the nfl you better figure out a way they can make proper money fishing one trail.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 02:56 PM

Sounds like be knocked himself out of the Classic and whatever they call the championship over at MLFLW/PBsT... Somedays your the bug and somedays your the windshield... Dan

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dan21XRS
Sounds like be knocked himself out of the Classic and whatever they call the championship over at MLFLW/PBsT... Somedays your the bug and somedays your the windshield... Dan

He is still in the cut for the BPT championship Redcrest, but out of the other two championships Classic and Title. I am fairly certain he would have won FLW AOY last year had he fished every event last year.

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
Rules are rules but the organization's should get together and come up with Schedules that allow the guys to fish. He earns a living fishing and probably wants to maximize his opportunities. If you want to treat these guys like cattle, ie the nfl you better figure out a way they can make proper money fishing one trail.

I don't see them working together on schedules in near future when ones goal is to kill the other one off.
Posted By: Brandon Dickenson

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 03:31 PM

He's awesome. That dude has done nothing but put himself at a disadvantage all year, and very unfortunate that he will not be able to fish.

Good news is, BASS implemented a drop for each angler's worst tournament, so he should still be in good shape for the classic.

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon Dickenson
He's awesome. That dude has done nothing but put himself at a disadvantage all year, and very unfortunate that he will not be able to fish.

Good news is, BASS implemented a drop for each angler's worst tournament, so he should still be in good shape for the classic.

Negative, he already has a 97th place finish so with this DQ he won't make Classic, I do think he has put more priority on the MLF side.

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001

Negative, he already has a 97th place finish so with this DQ he won't make Classic, I do think he has put more priority on the MLF side.

He's currently in 37th.... Why wouldn't he just drop the St Lawrence score, looks to be in good position to me unless I am missing something.

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 03:38 PM

I'm guessing you can't drop a DQ

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 03:39 PM

I'm kind of thrown off by the "drop your lowest"

Haven't seen that in an AOY race since my days in the local bass club.

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 03:40 PM

How are you DQ'd from an event 2 weeks before it starts? ineligible maybe. Well, if he can't use that as a drop, that's just stupid!

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 03:41 PM

How are you DQ'd from an event 2 weeks before it starts? ineligible maybe. Well, if he can't use that as a drop, that's just stupid!

He fished the the MLF St. Lawrence during BASS off limits.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 03:48 PM

Don’t think it’s possible for him to make the classic with two last place finishes. Doubt it matters to him. He put in little effort at the Classic. Shame because I think he’s one of the best out there. Clearly he’s good with showing up and making cuts and having a chance to win. Seems to be working for him.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 03:48 PM

BASS will have a short field, Cox is not the only angler who's been disqualified for off limits violation and there is several who already called it quits for the year because their AOY points are so low they are not going to re-qualify
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 05:07 PM

He is an amazing talent but I think with all the tournaments, he is simply chasing 10k checks. Anything else is a bonus, like the win he got on Smith and the top 10 on SLR. I agree with what was said before, it would be great to see him focus on 1, preferably BASS as I would like to see him win a Classic.
Posted By: Igofish2

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 10:25 PM

I wonder how many of you 'al in Texas fish several series. Are you fishing for that check or just to donate? Cox is expanding his area, so what's the problem.
He has the drive & sometime there are bumps get'n there.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/07/21 11:23 PM

He fishes for checks. The more tournaments he can fish, the more checks he has the opportunity to cash. It's a simple business practice he has.

I'm sure he knew going into the BPT St. Lawrence River event there was a highly likelihood he would be in violation of the off-limits rules.

By my math, I've got him making $264,982 so far this season, with 1 Elite Series, 2 BPT & 1 Pro Circuit event left. If he cashes a $10k check in each of the last 4 events he can fish, he will have won over $300k this year. A successful season by any measure.

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/08/21 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Igofish2
I wonder how many of you 'al in Texas fish several series. Are you fishing for that check or just to donate? Cox is expanding his area, so what's the problem.
He has the drive & sometime there are bumps get'n there.

Don't interpret my OP that way, I wish more guys had the cajones to do what he is, I think maybe only Ish would do it if he Opens qualified again, he did double tours 10 or so years back when some events clashed.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/08/21 12:25 AM

I agree. Also, the 28 day off limits rule is weird to me, especially if there is an official practice period immediately before the tournament. Every time I watch fishing on TV, they’re talking about how conditions changed from the previous day or even previous hour. Both tours fish the same lakes every few years, if not the same year, and with today’s mapping and other tech, having a 28 day off limit period but having practice for a couple days the week of the tournament is silly to me.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/08/21 12:27 AM

And for the record, I don’t blame him for fishing three trails in the same year. I imagine, with his talent, he does well enough over the course of those three trails to make a lot of money. More power to him.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/08/21 12:51 AM

If you ever have been around John he has a little crazy in him. He can catch them dirt shallow.
Posted By: basseditor

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/08/21 01:49 AM

No matter how it shook out, his schedule was crazy. Such as driving all night and launching as soon as he arrives. More power to him. His attitude is infectious.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/08/21 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

I agree. Also, the 28 day off limits rule is weird to me, especially if there is an official practice period immediately before the tournament. Every time I watch fishing on TV, they’re talking about how conditions changed from the previous day or even previous hour. Both tours fish the same lakes every few years, if not the same year, and with today’s mapping and other tech, having a 28 day off limit period but having practice for a couple days the week of the tournament is silly to me.

cheers
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/08/21 03:08 AM

Maybe this DQ will recharge him for the rest of this season. I think him and wheeler probably love fishing/being on the water more than any other anglers out there....Connell I think is up there too. But wheeler and cox seem to just be glued to the water
Posted By: buda13

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/08/21 12:17 PM

After blowing off the Classic this year I’m not sad at all for him. Great guy and one of my favorites to watch, I doubt he cares at all about not being in the classic in 2022. Hopefully next year he will narrow down his focus and get back to dominating.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/08/21 12:26 PM

DQ?? He’s currently in 2nd place

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/08/21 12:28 PM

He got DQ at St. Lawrence not Champlain

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/08/21 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet
He got DQ at St. Lawrence not Champlain

thumb
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/08/21 12:41 PM

John is an amazing talent and seems like a cool guy to be around. However, I can't believe that he expected BASS to rule any other way on this. The rule is what it is and he knew it before the season started. BASS should have never even acted like they were going to negotiate on it. Did fishing every tournament on planet earth hurt John this year? If his goal was AOY or winning tournaments then you have to say that it most definitely hurt him. Like said above I don't think that is his deal. Cutting checks and being on the move seems to be what makes him happy. That layup at the classic pretty much proved that.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/08/21 02:14 PM

Big fan of John, but he knew when he was looking at the multiple schedules that he might be in this situation. Once it was confirmed they would go to NY, he should have skipped the MLF event if he was shooting to make the Classic.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/08/21 02:33 PM

I seriously doubt he cares what bunch of hacks on a fishing forum think about his decision to fish 3 tours. He will make maybe $300k+ fishing this year just in cashed checks, not including endorsements. Guys a hammer. One of the best in the world.

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/09/21 04:55 PM

Ok so I looked at the BTP schedule and Aug.5 they are at Champlain. MLF has a 30 day off limits policy, so technically Cox is breaking that right now in the Elite event. Will MLF vote and let him fish that one or not???

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/09/21 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
Ok so I looked at the BTP schedule and Aug.5 they are at Champlain. MLF has a 30 day off limits policy, so technically Cox is breaking that right now in the Elite event. Will MLF vote and let him fish that one or not???

Is it fair for the other BPT anglers who cant fish there right now? I think both tours need to stand their ground and enforce the rules.
Posted By: pchapin

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/09/21 06:12 PM

Looks like it is up to the tournament director.
F. There will normally be a 30-day off-limits period leading up to 12:01 am the morning of the first day of official practice. During the official off-limits period a Bass Pro Tour Angler cannot be on the event water, gather any information, or intentionally, purposely, or knowingly, receive any information from any source that is not publicly available. MLF Big 5 off limit exemptions will be at the discretion of the MLF Tournament Director.

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/09/21 07:04 PM

I wonder if BTP off limits exemptions are also at discretion of TD

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/09/21 07:13 PM

My post was a copy and paste from the Bass Pro Tour Rules 2021 Official Rules (Updated 02-26-21) https://majorleaguefishing.com/circuits/bass-pro-tour/rules/
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/09/21 11:18 PM

He is a jackpotter. Out to cash as many checks as possible. Not many could pull it off across the country.

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/10/21 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by pchapin

My post was a copy and paste from the Bass Pro Tour Rules 2021 Official Rules (Updated 02-26-21) https://majorleaguefishing.com/circuits/bass-pro-tour/rules/

Understand but it says MLF Big 5 off limits exemptions, Bass Pro Tour is not under he Big 5 umbrella, B5 is the old FLW and all its feeder circuits.

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/10/21 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by pchapin

Understand but it says MLF Big 5 off limits exemptions, Bass Pro Tour is not under he Big 5 umbrella, B5 is the old FLW and all its feeder circuits.

I did a copy and past from BPT rules. We will just have to wait and see if they make an exception for Cox. In the mean time we can discuss and listen to pod cast.

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/10/21 01:54 AM

Cox Watch

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/10/21 02:14 AM

Of course they will make an exception. They cherry picked him in front of the other FLW anglers that finished ahead of him. They let in who they want when they want.
Posted By: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/10/21 01:31 PM

It’s impossible for me not to pull for a guy that has had incredible success running a tin rig with bare minimum of electronics. He puts himself at a disadvantage at practically every event with a lack of preparation or sleep. Dude goes out and fishes by the seat of his pants and does pretty damn well for himself.

He knew the rules, he still took a chance. He’s not wrong for trying and BASS isn’t wrong for enforcing their rules. He’s not crying about it. I’m sure he’ll just go fishing somewhere else.

The “DQ” of Cox pales in comparison to the stupidity of dropping the lowest finish. That’s a rogue deal voted on by a bunch of squeaky wheels. If BASS is ashamed of anything it should be that horse sh@t ruling. Next up will be Mercer weighing in fish on back of Tundra in a laundry basket with a guy selling BBQ sandwiches a few parking spots away.

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/10/21 01:44 PM

So they voted if any angler gets the covid and has to miss a tournament they would allow everyone a drop tournament. Doesn't sound to unreasonable to me.
Posted By: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/10/21 02:24 PM

All anglers, whether they had Covid and missed a tournament day or otherwise, got to drop their worst event as it pertains only to the Classic cut. Doesn’t apply to AOY or Elite re-requalification.

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/10/21 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
So they voted if any angler gets the covid and has to miss a tournament they would allow everyone a drop tournament. Doesn't sound to unreasonable to me.

It will only be unreasonable to the ones who get bumped below the Classic cut line. That will be a hot topic in a few weeks.

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/11/21 01:53 PM

go to 55 minutes, wonder if BASS fined him for unapproved apparel roflmao
https://video.bassmaster.com/detail...plain-ny---day-3-weigh-in?autoStart=true
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/11/21 02:30 PM

roflmao
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/11/21 03:21 PM

I know you love you some professionalbass fishing drama and all but maybe he just needed to do laundry and it was the cleanest shirt he had. roflmao

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/29/21 08:49 PM

Leading day one of final MLF pro circuit event of the year
https://majorleaguefishing.com/events/2021-07-29-st-lawrence-river/live/

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/29/21 08:53 PM

Leading day one of final MLF pro circuit event of the year
https://majorleaguefishing.com/events/2021-07-29-st-lawrence-river/live/

Cox

Re: Is John Cox nuts for fishing 3 tours or genius? - 07/30/21 01:45 PM

I wish they would do Pro circuit coverage all 4 days like BASS and not just the weekend.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum