Texas Fishing Forum

Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob)

Posted By: Travis McBacklash

Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/01/21 08:48 PM

Have not been to this lake in a long time, anybody been into this area recently? Any reports? We're thinking about taking our little 10 foot bass raider up there for a few hours one morning next week... Topo map looks juicy. Thanks!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: ZX4545

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/01/21 08:56 PM

It has its moments, this time of year isn't one of them

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/01/21 09:06 PM

Well that's good to know. Just trying to find some fairly calm water...
Posted By: Barn

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/01/21 09:38 PM

You can catch fish year round in Buck. The ramp has been closed due to high water. I'm not sure if it's open back up. It's been a couple of weeks since I have been out.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/01/21 10:05 PM

Buck is closed along with Johnson Branch Park. Talked to the park ranger this morning at the office this morning and Johnson is just about ready to open.
Posted By: GreaseMonkey

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/01/21 10:33 PM

Buck is fishing tough right now. Best chance is at first light using topwater, after 8am go looking deeper.

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/02/21 12:36 AM

Thanks guys, with shallow and deep water both, I would expect fish to be in there all the time. Whether they're biting better somewhere else or if we can even launch there is another question. Would it be better if we go to Jordan and hug the bank down towards Sand Branch?
Posted By: Barbers Tree

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/02/21 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by David Welcher
Buck is closed along with Johnson Branch Park. Talked to the park ranger this morning at the office this morning and Johnson is just about ready to open.

Can’t miss that RV camping money and daily fees.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/02/21 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Barbers Tree
Originally Posted by David Welcher

Can’t miss that RV camping money and daily fees.

And thank goodness for those daily fees! If we relied on the general fund State money they’d be closed or extremely run down. As it is we have 2 of the best State Parks in Texas right in our backyard. If anything they should raise the ramp fee’s to a flat $15 to capture all you cheaters that only pay $7 for 1 person when you have a buddy or two with you.

Buck holds fish year round, I’d take that area over sand branch any day of the week. Especially in a small boat
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/02/21 12:41 PM

Sorry, I said it wrong Johnson Branch Park is open to the campers and day users, they just cant let you use the boat ramp as the water just receded back past the asphalt. Driving on asphalt under water would ruin it. I went there yesterday to get my State Park Pass renewed and drove down to the boat ramp to check it out they have it blocked off with barricades but everything else is open, a few of the picnic tables are under water. The water level is about 20" below the asphalt so I'm not sure why they haven't opened that ramp back up, but like I said the Park Ranger said any day they will open it back up.

I believe there are only 3 State ramps open, Isle Dubouis, Jordan, and one of them near Sanger, plus the Private one at Marina is the last one that closes.

State park pass is the only way to go Buda.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/02/21 01:11 PM

Buck has several spots with a few hidden humps and laydowns. Find those and you'll find fish.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/02/21 02:49 PM

Buck is great especially for small boats, protected from North/South winds. I would not count on JB opening, we got a bunch more rain which I am guessing will top off whatever they have been releasing and have the water back above the concrete and onto the black top. Need to concrete higher up because the ramps are still perfectly useable. They say we break up the waterlogged black top which is why they close them down.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/02/21 06:06 PM

I haven't fished Raybob in a while and have heard how different its fishing. But if I were launching a bass buster today to fish it I would be inside the marina or along the tires. Traditionally thats been good fishing

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/02/21 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by K.D.
I haven't fished Raybob in a while and have heard how different its fishing. But if I were launching a bass buster today to fish it I would be inside the marina or along the tires. Traditionally thats been good fishing

Sounds like it might be the only option and I LOVE fishing marinas. I wouldn't want to take this vessel from Jordan to Buck Creek. It's a pond boat.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/02/21 08:08 PM

Marina is a great choice! I used to fish my Pond Hopper there a bunch. Put in is at the Sanger access and you can start fishing right there.
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/02/21 08:51 PM

put in at Pond access, it is next to the Sanger access and you can fish a small boat in that cove fairly easily unless the winds are high. Lots of flooded bushes right now the lake is still 2.5 feet high. good luck
Posted By: N2Bass

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/03/21 05:31 AM

Very few can catch any fish to brag about on RR. If you don’t believe me, look how few 3 fish limits are weighed in on Wednesday nights from the better local sticks around. I’m far from a great angler, but that place consistently sucks. I’m just too hard headed and live too close to punt that bootleg fishery.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/03/21 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Skeeter man ZX225
put in at Pond access, it is next to the Sanger access and you can fish a small boat in that cove fairly easily unless the winds are high. Lots of flooded bushes right now the lake is still 2.5 feet high. good luck

Pond is closed

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/05/21 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by N2Bass
Very few can catch any fish to brag about on RR. If you don’t believe me, look how few 3 fish limits are weighed in on Wednesday nights from the better local sticks around. I’m far from a great angler, but that place consistently sucks. I’m just too hard headed and live too close to punt that bootleg fishery.

I've had great days there - and I've been skunked. Have not ever fished it regularly but fished it enough to know my way around. I haven't been there in over a year, before that it was 10 years. The top 25 in the Classic may have done other things, but they were all flipping a green pumpkin jig with a green pumpkin creature trailer into flooded vegetation with the trolling motor set one notch below haul balls. Sounds like something I'd like to try as that's pretty much how I fish.
Posted By: N2Bass

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/06/21 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Travis McBacklash

I've had great days there - and I've been skunked. Have not ever fished it regularly but fished it enough to know my way around. I haven't been there in over a year, before that it was 10 years. The top 25 in the Classic may have done other things, but they were all flipping a green pumpkin jig with a green pumpkin creature trailer into flooded vegetation with the trolling motor set one notch below haul balls. Sounds like something I'd like to try as that's pretty much how I fish.

Go try it out there right now. I’ve got a Babe’s chicken fried steak for you if you bag over 10 lbs in a day.

Re: Anybody fished around Buck Creek lately (Ray Bob) - 07/06/21 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Travis McBacklash

Go try it out there right now. I’ve got a Babe’s chicken fried steak for you if you bag over 10 lbs in a day.

If I could go I would! Maybe Friday morning.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum