Texas Fishing Forum

Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite

Posted By: Spyder_Jig

Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 06/30/21 04:50 PM

Hi TFF
Looking for some input. Without price being a factor, which boat would you prefer and why? Looking for info that will help me decide between the two. Leaning towards Phoenix at the moment but with their affiliation with MLF I'm concerned they may become the next victim of the White River Marine group. If you've rode in or fished from both, please let me know pros/cons. Thanks to all
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 06/30/21 05:35 PM

Honestly...how do you pick one over the other with those boats???

The only thing I would look at is the nearest service / dealer for each boat and motor combination.

Then I would look at the standard electronics vs. the need to upgrade. One may be better rigged / outfitted w/ electronics from the factory than the other.
Posted By: Walls

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 06/30/21 05:56 PM

First world problems. I would suggest driving them and fishing from them both in non perfect weather and decide. I believe Fun-N-Sun sells both and would be my first contact due to what I've read on here.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 06/30/21 06:00 PM

I’ve been giving these 2 options to people when they ask the same question

Skeeter is a great boat that has built in packages with only x amount of color options also with no chance of changing how they come rigged

Phoenix boats u can totally customize the boat start to finish to achieve the best boat possible without paying a lot of upgrade pricing.

Both from the dealer are within 3 grand of each other with Phoenix getting the better pricing route for 2022. Pick which one u think is the best in for, finish and ride
Posted By: tricky

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 06/30/21 06:17 PM

I bet Johnny will never buy out Skeeter.

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 06/30/21 06:51 PM

Thank you Sir. I know the FNS staff well. Just looking for input that is not bias in any way (sales pitch). First world problems?

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 06/30/21 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Spyder_Jig
Thank you Sir. I know the FNS staff well. Just looking for input that is not bias in any way (sales pitch). First world problems?

"First world problems" meant no offense- just saying it's a good problem to have trying to choose between those two rigs. You're generally going to get bias even from someone who has owned both, as it's likely they are in one or the other currently. That's why I suggested F&S- those guys would be more likely to just give you the benefits of both rides and hopefully the opportunity to drive each one. I would ask what boat the people that work there run if you want even more input.
Posted By: Ferrell

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 06/30/21 07:49 PM

First off I currently own a 2020 21FXR. I had a 2012 FX 21 prior and if you haven't been in an FXR the ride in the new boats is considerably better. FNS does demo rides in both boats and I would recommend doing that.

As far as which one is better I believe sits with the buyer. Prior to the FXR coming out I was really leaning towards a 921, after seeing the FXR and riding in it my decision was made. I have been in both in rough water and both are great, if I had to give an edge I would give the 921 a slight edge over the FXR in rough conditions. Go stand on both out on the water, I liked the feel of the FXR standing at the trolling motor over the 921. Felt as thought the platform was a bit more stable. Go look at Ken Smiths boat reviews of the boats, he does a great job on those. Also Wiedas marine posts videos to their Youtube page and does good walk throughs of both boats. Keep in mind Skeeters only come with Yamaha SHO's, Phoenix gives a few more options. Either direction you go they are top of the line boats.

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 06/30/21 08:19 PM

The primary reason I'm leaning towards Phoenix at the moment are some of the quality issues I've seen with Skeeter. In almost everyone I've seen (including my current FX20) they use the bottom of the boat (hull) as a trash can. That's unacceptable if you ask me and poses a danger should you need you bilge and it becomes clogged with debris. Also, I've seen/heard of quite a few gel coat issues on the Skeeter. Outside of that, I'd love to stay in a Skeeter as I have so much Skeeter gear....I keep boats for a while so build quality matters. Has anyone else heard of issues with either brand?
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 06/30/21 08:47 PM

Skeeter get those top caps sealed to the hull yet?
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 06/30/21 10:49 PM

I have been looking at "new" brands for myself and I think out of those two, Phoenix is definitely a little better quality of a build. Seems Skeeter is so mass produced now they have gotten a little sloppy in their QC the past couple of years.

They are both extremely nice boats and that's just my opinion from the research I have done lately and from people I know who have purchased Skeeters recently.

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 06/30/21 10:58 PM

[quote=Douglas J]I have been looking at "new" brands for myself and I think out of those two, Phoenix is definitely a little better quality of a build. Seems Skeeter is so mass produced now they have gotten a little sloppy in their QC the past couple of years.

They are both extremely nice boats and that's just my opinion from the research I have done lately and from people I know who have purchased Skeeters recently. [/quote

Totally agree with this!
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 06/30/21 11:18 PM

I would put Phoenix just over the skeeter. Skeeter seems to have more issues with gel coat and small things
Posted By: 361V

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 06/30/21 11:26 PM

The primary reason I'm leaning towards Phoenix at the moment are some of the quality issues I've seen with Skeeter. In almost everyone I've seen (including my current FX20) they use the bottom of the boat (hull) as a trash can. That's unacceptable if you ask me and poses a danger should you need you bilge and it becomes clogged with debris. Also, I've seen/heard of quite a few gel coat issues on the Skeeter. Outside of that, I'd love to stay in a Skeeter as I have so much Skeeter gear....I keep boats for a while so build quality matters. Has anyone else heard of issues with either brand?

“Quality issues I’ve seen with Skeeter”, “unacceptable”…… Respectfully: sounds like you have answered your own question? Good luck with your decision!
Posted By: White Oak Skeeter

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/01/21 12:10 AM

I'd also suggest going to Fun N Sun and asking for Fain. Fain runs a Phoenix, but he can give you the pros and cons of both. I own a Skeeter and have had no issues, 2018 with 350 hours. Personally, I would have David at Shut Up N Fish install all electronics! Tell Fain Blake said to take you in both boats! I fished out of Justin Margraves Phoenix twice, once in bad weather. I loved the way the Phoenix handled and the details of the boat. The Phoenix is faster, but I think the Skeeter handles rough water better, but gets the passenger a little damp. If I were buying right now, I would lean more toward the Phoenix only because I'm close to wanting something different, I love the way the boat looks, and the ride is still excellent.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/01/21 01:03 AM

I’ve never ridden in an FXR, but my FX20 was a rough ride. I recently rode in a 721 of my buddy’s and after that ride in rough water, my next boat will prolly be a Phoenix.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/01/21 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by mudd
I’ve been giving these 2 options to people when they ask the same question

Skeeter is a great boat that has built in packages with only x amount of color options also with no chance of changing how they come rigged

Phoenix boats u can totally customize the boat start to finish to achieve the best boat possible without paying a lot of upgrade pricing.

Both from the dealer are within 3 grand of each other with Phoenix getting the better pricing route for 2022. Pick which one u think is the best in for, finish and ride

cheers
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/01/21 02:34 PM

I can assure you, Phoenix has its quality issues as well. I had one that stayed in the shop til I sold it, but it was a PHX. But both these boats are in my opinion the top 2 boats on the market today. Im now on my 8th Skeeter going all the way back to 2006, and have had ZERO issues with top caps, gel, stress cracks or anything in the ballpark. Ive had some screws vibrate loose, but thats about the extent of it. Actually just ordered my 9th which is a 2022 FXR 21 Select. And yes, you can custom color a Skeeter. Its not just the set colors.
Ive fished out of the Elite twice and will say it's a way better ride than the original PHX. Prolly why Phoenix put a different hull under the PHX top cap and called it the Elite. If you compare both these boats in a 21' model, they will both eat up rough water like its not even there, and ride "soft" in it. Speed, Ill give to the Phoenix but not by much. Maybe 2 to 3 mph. Fit and finish will go Skeeter no doubt.
You really need to drive both. But you cant go wrong with either one.
Posted By: skeeter75

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/01/21 03:52 PM

Might look at Caymas. If you fish tournaments, contingency money is better. They have a great riding boat also. Texas Boat World in Harker Heights.
Posted By: woody123

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/01/21 10:44 PM

Wrong, Skeeter can be changed to what you want
Posted By: mudd

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/02/21 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by woody123

Only when buying a Select model though but with that being said u can rig out a complete Phoenix boat for in the mean time cheaper. I’ve priced both lately.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/02/21 03:12 PM

Then I would change it to a Bass Cat.
Posted By: TheHaydonSmith

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/03/21 11:27 PM

We own a 2020 Skeeter FXR21LE...... Rod Lockers are big and can hold plenty of rods/reels, we also love the wide seats, hotfoot, and live wells.... this is everything we like now for things we dislike....... fiberglass fenders are a big issue, we have been lucky and our fenders have not cracked but we will most likely be out into a Phoenix before they do, the buttons on the dash panel are ok, the deck creaking and what sounds like cracking we hate along with our carpet being loose and peeling up...... loading is good but it has to be a great ramp for a great load....... We also hate the craftsmanship of the skeeter, the fiberglass is wavy and partly unfinished and the gel coat is bubbling up, we will never make this mistake again in buying a skeeter..... if I were you I would go Phoenix 921Elite all day long, much more quality boat and you WILL be happy.....
Posted By: Todd B.

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/03/21 11:45 PM

Boy this has become a Skeeter bashing thread. I have had two now and other than minor things they have been great. I have a buddy who has Phoenix and even though top speed is greater it chine walks pretty bad. With that said both are great boats but maybe look into Basscat. Those guys love their boats and quality care seem to be wonderful. I had to take my 19 Skeeter FX back to the plant and they fixed absolutely everything. Even the hole in front deck that the dealer screwed up when putting a troll tamer on it. Wasn’t Skeeter’s fault but they covered it even with me being second owner. Boats are extremely overpriced and you should get exactly what you want. I love my Skeeter other than top end speed but I might try another brand in the future. Not due to not liking my Skeeter but more to try something else.
Posted By: TheHaydonSmith

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/04/21 02:17 PM

You are more than welcome to come look at our 2020 FXR21 LE before you make a $80,000 decision!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/05/21 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by mudd

Only when buying a Select model though but with that being said u can rig out a complete Phoenix boat for in the mean time cheaper. I’ve priced both lately.

+1 If you don't think so, do some research before you make a post about the Skeeter.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/05/21 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27

Then I would change it to a Bass Cat.

clap

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/06/21 02:51 AM

Really appreciate all the responses.... as of now, Phoenix is in the lead. My only real concern is if they will get sold to White River Marine Group. Anyone have any thoughts or insight on that?
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/06/21 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheHaydonSmith
We own a 2020 Skeeter FXR21LE...... Rod Lockers are big and can hold plenty of rods/reels, we also love the wide seats, hotfoot, and live wells.... this is everything we like now for things we dislike....... fiberglass fenders are a big issue, we have been lucky and our fenders have not cracked but we will most likely be out into a Phoenix before they do, the buttons on the dash panel are ok, the deck creaking and what sounds like cracking we hate along with our carpet being loose and peeling up...... loading is good but it has to be a great ramp for a great load....... We also hate the craftsmanship of the skeeter, the fiberglass is wavy and partly unfinished and the gel coat is bubbling up, we will never make this mistake again in buying a skeeter..... if I were you I would go Phoenix 921Elite all day long, much more quality boat and you WILL be happy.....

hmmm
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/06/21 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by TheHaydonSmith

Not the first person I've heard with almost exactly same issues.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/06/21 06:07 PM

Really appreciate all the responses.... as of now, Phoenix is in the lead. My only real concern is if they will get sold to White River Marine Group. Anyone have any thoughts or insight on that?

I wouldnt worry about that.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/06/21 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by the skipper

I wouldnt worry about that.

Buy a Cat grin

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/07/21 01:30 AM

I have to say that I think Basscats are one of the best built boats on the market. Apparently customer service is the best in the business as well. Maybe I'm a traditionalist but I just can't make myself like the appearance of their boats. I've tried....just not my cup of tea.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/07/21 04:56 PM

One thing I have been seeing a lot of are, trailer problems. This seems so simplistic but they have lots of problems. Do you research on the trailer, the axels, the brake systems used and most importantly the hubs. My next boat I will have a long time and trailer quality is important to me. Be very cautious of the vault hubs, get metal caps immediately if they don't already. I know BassCat and Skeeter make their own trailer. Phoenix does not. Would rather deal with 1 boat and trailer company rather than 2 separate entities if an issue comes around.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/07/21 04:58 PM

A good trailer is a myth!

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/07/21 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Huckleberry

+1
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/07/21 06:12 PM

The new Skeeter Built trailers are actually well made.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/07/21 06:18 PM

Does the Phoenix come with a ez loader trailer? Only thing I don’t like about my old Skeeter.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Skeeter FXR 21 vs Phoenix 921 Elite - 07/08/21 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

The new Skeeter Built trailers are actually well made.

Been very happy with mine.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum