Texas Fishing Forum

Best hollow bodied frogs

Posted By: Blayne Wallace

Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 02:20 AM

In your opinion, who makes the best hollow bodied frogs? Secondly, who makes the best popping frog? Looking to switch it up and try some new ones
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 02:43 AM

Always The Geygan Squad for frogs
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 02:51 AM

Like the new 6th sense Vega frogs
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 03:06 AM

The Strike King KVD frog. Green pumpkin w/ pearl belly. Trim the legs about an inch.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank

Those frogs are horrible. The legs come off after one fish.
Posted By: angleiron

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 03:13 AM

Spro has always worked for me.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 03:26 AM

Scum frog launch frog is legit
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 10:46 AM

Spro or the BPS Kermie
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 10:57 AM

They all have their differences, especially popping frogs as some pop more some spit more. If I had to gave 2 forever both would be Spro. But half the time I throw popping its a Strike King popping perch. That bait gets giant bites.
Posted By: aneil

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 11:01 AM

Spro is still the best IMO.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 11:03 AM

Great. The city is going to send me to diversity training again……..
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 12:36 PM

Spro, Jr. Poppin' Frog in black is the only frog I use. No need for anything else.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 12:40 PM

Another vote for Spro. I use both their regular and popping frogs. I don't think I even carry a frog in my box that isn't a Spro anymore. For me the hook up ratio on Spro frogs has always been way better than any other frog I have used. Pair that up with a 10:1 revo rocket and if you can ever get their head above water its all over.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 12:44 PM

Spro popping frog and strike king pad perch/popping perch. The pad perch will skip like no other
Posted By: tejasbass

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 12:46 PM

I've tried a dozen brands. Booyah and Spro for me. I tend to throw the Booyah most, but Spro works just as well.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 01:04 PM

Snag Proof, Strike King KVD, SPRO, Booyah, and Scum Frogs are all in my box. cheers

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 02:08 PM

Has anyone tried the Megabass Big Gabot?

I kinda figured spro would get the majority of votes lol
Posted By: AMERICAN-TEXAN

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 03:05 PM

Deps
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Blayne Wallace

Calling Mark Perry...he's been throwing these before they were released to the public.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 04:29 PM

I am a big fan of the Big Gabot. I admit I am biased probably because we worked on it for a couple years or so before rit was released. It was built around a great 6/0 hook and has a catamaran mouth. It can pop but it walks extremely well. Always lands on belly on a cast and great hookup ratio.
Posted By: Titleist77

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 04:38 PM

The big gabot was my best producer last year followed by the bully wa 2 and livetarget.

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

I am a big fan of the Big Gabot. I admit I am biased probably because we worked on it for a couple years or so before rit was released. It was built around a great 6/0 hook and has a catamaran mouth. It can pop but it walks extremely well. Always lands on belly on a cast and great hookup ratio.

Figured you would have the best opinion lol. I'm needing some new frogs to try out on my frog game special lol
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 10:55 PM

Mark some of the reviews I have read question the durability . Has that been resolved?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 11:21 PM

A frog that compresses easily to allow bass to be hooked more efficiently and effectively won’t be the most durable.
One could easily build an extremely durable frog with a terrible hook up ratio.
Maybe something like a Kevlar or carbon fiber solution is possible, but then you are looking at $30 per frog.

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by BrandoA

Mark some of the reviews I have read question the durability . Has that been resolved?

I personally have not had any durability issues. We sell a ton of them and very few issues are reported. Just here locally I know I have reordered many, many times for dealers here and have yet to get a report of any not being durable. Even the early prototypes were extremely durable. I realize everyone has different opinions and experiences using products but I have yet to see or hear anything firsthand customers or dealers.

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
A frog that compresses easily to allow bass to be hooked more efficiently and effectively won’t be the most durable.
One could easily build an extremely durable frog with a terrible hook up ratio.
Maybe something like a Kevlar or carbon fiber solution is possible, but then you are looking at $30 per frog.

Some colors are rigid than other colors of same brand. Black is a good example. The material gets a tad hotter since it holds heat better and it can in a sense temper the frog. Glossy finishes can result in a more rigid material as well. When we were testing the Big Gabot I learned a ton about manufacturing processes .
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 06/30/21 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by BrandoA

I personally have not had any durability issues. We sell a ton of them and very few issues are reported. Just here locally I know I have reordered many, many times for dealers here and have yet to get a report of any not being durable. Even the early prototypes were extremely durable. I realize everyone has different opinions and experiences using products but I have yet to see or hear anything firsthand customers or dealers.

Mark thanks for responding . Gonna order some now

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 07/01/21 02:09 AM

I hope you enjoy the Big Gabots and catch a bunch on them. The Jungle Bone and Kaeru Shad colors are pretty sentimental to me.... grin
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 07/01/21 04:17 AM

The Spro popping frog is my go to. Needs a couple tweaks. But it works!
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 07/01/21 02:48 PM

I hope you enjoy the Big Gabots and catch a bunch on them. The Jungle Bone and Kaeru Shad colors are pretty sentimental to me.... grin

Who sells them locally?

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 07/01/21 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 206champion

Who sells them locally?

Fun N Sun
Anglers Pro
Tackle Depot
Oak Ridge Marina
Lake Fork Marina
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 07/01/21 02:57 PM

I've tried several brands and keep finding my way back to Spro. Some walk easier, some look better, some are tougher, but the Spro just works.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 07/01/21 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Coolarrow

what are the tweaks?
Posted By: gt2003

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 07/01/21 05:55 PM

Booyah and Strike King KVD. Never had issues with either one
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 07/02/21 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Outdoordude
I've tried several brands and keep finding my way back to Spro. Some walk easier, some look better, some are tougher, but the Spro just works.

Same here. The megabass big gabot is a good one too.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 07/02/21 03:26 AM

I use Spro mostly, just checked tacklewarehouse on the Big Gabots and a few reviews said they don't hold up well. May have to pass on those
Posted By: Joel McBride

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 07/03/21 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Coolarrow

what are the tweaks?

Bend the hooks out a little is all I know.. They are very tight against the body.
Posted By: toofy

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 07/03/21 04:05 AM

What about frogs that don't fill with water where you have to squeeze them out every couple of casts? That's my biggest pet peeve.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 07/03/21 02:23 PM

I've done well on the Booyah Pad Crasher & Popping Pad Crasher but I will order a couple of the new Gabots because I trust what Mark says.

Also try the Stanley Ribbit Frog if the grass/pads you are fishing is scattered. Fish it just like a buzzbait with the Double-Take hook on straight 65 braid. About 50% of the time they will eat it better than a hollow body frog. I always start off with it because you can cover a lot of water quickly with it.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best hollow bodied frogs - 07/03/21 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
I've done well on the Booyah Pad Crasher & Popping Pad Crasher but I will order a couple of the new Gabots because I trust what Mark says.

Also try the Stanley Ribbit Frog if the grass/pads you are fishing is scattered. Fish it just like a buzzbait with the Double-Take hook on straight 65 braid. About 50% of the time they will eat it better than a hollow body frog. I always start off with it because you can cover a lot of water quickly with it.

They also make the Ribbit in a hollow body with the same kicker legs, but it floats. I use both styles of the Ribbit.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum