Texas Fishing Forum

Did that really HAPPEN

Posted By: Rutster

Did that really HAPPEN - 06/28/21 10:20 PM

I was at Lake graham yesterday, prefishing for an upcoming club tourney. Right after lunch I headed to the Graham side and started up the river. On the horizon flying from the direction of Wichita Falls was 3 huge army transport planes. They were flying in a single file line about 100 yards from my boat. It looked like they were flying in slow motion they were so big. Me being me I was waving like a mad man and acting goofy. My way of letting them know i appreciated what they were doing. As soon as the first one saw me the 3rd one in line broke formation and flew right over my boat. By this time i was on the front deck doing my best Mike Icanelli. As he was right over my boat he tipped his wing and flew off. It was just like the super bowl and I was the only team there. Not gonna lie it gave me cold chills. Then about 300 yards ahead i turned into a cut and immediately saw old Glory hanging from a tree way out in the lake. I was in awe of the whole experience. Yes I did catch a few fish but that's not what I was talking about when I got home. In the famous words of Lee Greenwood I was "Proud to be an American."

Attached picture IMG_2359.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2348.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2350.jpg
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/28/21 10:28 PM

Very cool.

I had a similar thing happen one evening on a little lake. It had an airport runway right off a main lake point. I was fishing that point in an evening tourney. Right when I was on the point, in line with the runway, a military helicopter came in from the NW. it hovered over the waters edge, about 40ft above my boat for about 5 minutes. I kept waiting for Navy Seals to reach over the side of my boat and snatch me. Haha. It was LOUD. I could feel the rotor wash on my clothes and the water was shaking my boat. I caught two fish during that time. I held one up, but got no applause.

After what seemed like a long time, the simply turned around and went back to where they came from.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/28/21 10:46 PM

Awesome feeling for sure
Posted By: MikeCSr

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/28/21 10:56 PM

Awesome sites for sure!!
I loved jumping from C-130s back in my youth and I also felt they were the safest of all to fly in.
I salute them and the person whom put the stars and stripes on that tree flag
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/28/21 11:06 PM

Cool story
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/28/21 11:31 PM

flag Neat post! flag
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/28/21 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rutster
I was at Lake graham yesterday, prefishing for an upcoming club tourney. Right after lunch I headed to the Graham side and started up the river. On the horizon flying from the direction of Wichita Falls was 3 huge army transport planes. They were flying in a single file line about 100 yards from my boat. It looked like they were flying in slow motion they were so big. Me being me I was waving like a mad man and acting goofy. My way of letting them know i appreciated what they were doing. As soon as the first one saw me the 3rd one in line broke formation and flew right over my boat. By this time i was on the front deck doing my best Mike Icanelli. As he was right over my boat he tipped his wing and flew off. It was just like the super bowl and I was the only team there. Not gonna lie it gave me cold chills. Then about 300 yards ahead i turned into a cut and immediately saw old Glory hanging from a tree way out in the lake. I was in awe of the whole experience. Yes I did catch a few fish but that's not what I was talking about when I got home. In the famous words of Lee Greenwood I was "Proud to be an American."

kinda got chills reading your story --- my dad was in the air force , flew in B-17's and B-29's . He would take me to every air show he could when I was young--- got to sit in some cool planes ---but will never forget going into a B-17 --- the courage of those young men is amazing , I believe people that can do those things are just plain a cut above all others .
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/28/21 11:47 PM

My cousin in Wichita Falls knew a few of the fighter pilots, one day while we were on our deer lease near there my cousin asked me to take a ride with him, he seemed to have a time and destination in mind, we took his jeep to a high spot on the lease, popped the top on a cold one and was just shooting the breeze, about that time two jets came right over our heads and scared the [censored] out of me, the two jets circled and flew back over us both tipping their wings, it was awesome, my cousin had just finished building a house for the pilot, that was his way of saying thank you.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/28/21 11:49 PM

I was on Lake Ouachita several years ago, a couple of A10's were coming up the lake, I pulled off my hat, gave them a wave and got wing wags from both! It was pretty cool.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 01:22 AM

That's super cool!! Those are C-130J models and the RS on the tail means they came from Ramstein Air Base, Germany!! The landing gear is down too so likely on approach to Sheppard AFB.
Posted By: FSWITX

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 01:41 AM

That was cool. flag
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 02:15 AM

had a jet do something like that at my house! the sound was louder than usual(hear jets often in EP)...headed to the roof and they were just doing there thing and lower than usual but still up there. started waving too and one came over the house....and pretty low. couldnt see any faces type of low....but i got a reminder how freaking big those jets are even though they look tiny when you see them in the sky! very cool! nice pics!
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 02:52 AM

flag soldier flehan
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 03:40 AM

Great post! clap
Posted By: TryHard

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 03:45 AM

10/10- great post
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 12:01 PM

That was your U.S. Air Force! ( not Army) flag soldier
Posted By: metalruch1

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 01:46 PM

This is the kind of post I like to read... thanks for sharing!! flag soldier
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 02:29 PM

Very Cool
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 02:45 PM

We were on Lake Georgetown in May a few years back and it happened to be during the Georgetown Air Show. A B-17 was circling the lake about 300-400 ft above biding its time to fly over the show. That was cool to see.

Then we heard a different sound and looked up to find a couple of Zeros coming over us from the east. We were the only boat on the main part of the lake and the Zeros lined up on us. They swooped down and flew over less than 150ft. They were there for the Pearl Harbor reenactment at the air show. That was cool. They then turned and lined up on us again from the west. My buddy, who is a WW2 nut, jumped on the back seat and readied his AA and started pumping his arms as an AA gun would do as the Zeros flew over. One of the Zeros let out smoke and then tipped his wing. That was awesome!
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 03:02 PM

We got buzzed by a couple of A10's on Toledo Bend a couple years ago. Looked like they were going on a bombing run and we were the target. Very cool.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 03:04 PM

flag
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 03:13 PM

That’s a good story.
Posted By: Alan

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
We got buzzed by a couple of A10's on Toledo Bend a couple years ago. Looked like they were going on a bombing run and we were the target. Very cool.

This has happened to me at Toledo Bend many times and I loved it. I would jump up and down and wave. Had some that were so low I could see them wave back.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 04:42 PM

Years ago I was diving on the shipwreck "Milwaukee" off of northern shore Milwaukee. I came up from my first dive and my bubbies were there to help me get in the boat. All of a sudden their eyes got REAL big and they ducked a little. I think it was four Blue Angles flew right over our heads. Talk about loud! Everything was vibrating including the lake around us.

Turns out they were doing an air show for "Summerfest" festival which was right off of Lake Michigan. We ere on their turnaround path so we got to see them several more times. A couple tipped their wings to us. Pretty cool to see.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Alan

This has happened to me at Toledo Bend many times and I loved it. I would jump up and down and wave. Had some that were so low I could see them wave back.

beat me to it.
if you hang out on the north end of TB you will randomly get buzzed by some fast moving jets.
above my pay grade to identify them, but it's pretty cool.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 07:11 PM

Cool story!

I was out on Lake Travis last weekend and a giant M Series Malibu boat slowly moved by my Basscat. Lurking on the back deck was a beautiful pair of Double D's slowly bouncing to the movement of the waves. I was moved. Several inches!
Posted By: YEE_YEE

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/29/21 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Alan

Me to at Toledo Bend
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/30/21 12:41 AM

Years ago I was on a lease just outside 0f Pidcoke Texas. I walked down to Bee House creek to see if I get a shot at a turkey. I heard a helicopter that sounded like it was getting closer and closer. It was an Apache, black Hawk, or some assault helicopter flying about 50 feet over the water and it flew right by me. I was very impressed! Ft. Hood was close by. At night, we could hear artillery, and occasionally, an explosion that would rattle the windows and metal siding of our cabin. I couldn't differentiate thunder from artillery. A cool experience.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/30/21 01:43 AM

Years ago we used to see the bombers from Barksdale AFB on Rayburn when they were doing "bombing runs" on the 147 Bridge! flehan
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/30/21 11:57 AM

flag
Posted By: Travis McBacklash

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/30/21 01:18 PM

That's awesome!
Posted By: GreaseMonkey

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 06/30/21 05:33 PM

[quote=Phoenix_Ed]I was on Lake Ouachita several years ago, a couple of A10's were coming up the lake, I pulled off my hat, gave them a wave and got wing wags from both! It was pretty cool.[/q

Same thing happened to me at Lake Ouachita last November except it was C-130's. They were down on the deck and flew right over my boat. It was awesome!
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 07/01/21 05:43 PM

flag... Dan
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Did that really HAPPEN - 07/01/21 08:37 PM

what a great JULY FOURTH story!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum