Texas Fishing Forum

Jeep Gladiator?

Posted By: Hymer

Jeep Gladiator? - 06/27/21 08:21 PM

Anyone using one of the new Jeep trucks to tow their boat? If so how do you like it?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/27/21 08:56 PM

I used a 4door Jeep Wrangler with the same engine and transmission. The engine was constantly causing the Jeep to be in the shop. At 48,000 miles, Jeep corporation finally decided to give me a new driveline and a lifetime power train warranty. I walked across the street and bought a Toyota.

The 3.6L and 6speed definitely could not handle towing a 17ft bass boat. It would NEVER make it with the boat I have now.

All that said, I do miss the Jeep. It was fun to drive. I had AEV 4” lift, AEV hood,, flat fenders, fab 9 bumpers, and 35’s with a quadratec programmer to correct speed and air pressure warnings.
Posted By: BC4681

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/27/21 09:12 PM

Awful. Towed my boat with it once and never will I do that again!
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/27/21 09:31 PM

Test drove one last year. Felt like it couldn’t get out of its own way. Couldn’t imagine with my 22’ bay boat hooked behind it.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/27/21 09:33 PM

Why anyone would want to buy one those and use it like a truck is beyond me. It's not built to do what a truck does. My best friend bought one and tows his buggy around with it. Dang buggy has more power than the jeep does I think. Poor jeep is an absolute dog
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/27/21 09:39 PM

bass fishing...?
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/27/21 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet
Why anyone would want to buy one those and use it like a truck is beyond me. It's not built to do what a truck does. My best friend bought one and tows his buggy around with it. Dang buggy has more power than the jeep does I think. Poor jeep is an absolute dog

+1
Posted By: Hymer

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/27/21 11:54 PM

That’s what I figured. Just couldn’t see it handling my z521. Thanks for the replies.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/28/21 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Hymer
That’s what I figured. Just couldn’t see it handling my z521. Thanks for the replies.

Thank you for checking before you became a towing statistic.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/28/21 01:35 AM

That’s a “truck” for chics
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/28/21 01:46 AM

If that is the "answer" to you are asking the wrong question! welcome
Posted By: Ibock

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/28/21 05:34 PM

They are cool but not built for hauling anything big.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/28/21 08:24 PM

As ugly as the Gladiator is it will make your boat look beautiful regardless of it's condition. banana
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/28/21 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by T Bird
As ugly as the Gladiator is it will make your boat look beautiful regardless of it's condition. banana

roflmao
Posted By: TryHard

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/29/21 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
That’s a “truck” for chics

I actually like the truck a lot. You can spot the Californians trying to blend in much further away.
Posted By: SAdoc

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/29/21 01:40 PM

I kind of like the retro look. I would consider one if they put the 392 in it/ beefed up the drivetrain.
Posted By: C-Johnson

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/29/21 02:11 PM

I have pulled my boat with all manner of full size and diesel pickups, as well as with a 2 door Wrangler, and nothing about pulling with my Gladiator feels like enough of a downgrade to regret having it. It's certainly thirstier and revs higher than larger trucks when towing, but it's rated for 7K towing as configured and has no problems getting up to speed, braking, or maintaining control with my bass boat or travel trailer. Mine is equipped with the 3.6 Pentastar and 8 speed automatic transmission. I knew going into it that I was getting a wrangler with a bed, but that is exactly what I wanted out of it and it has surprised me with its capability. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone else at the ramp with the roof off their truck.

Say hi if you see me at Wise County Park in Bridgeport, that's normally where I can be found on the weekends. I'd be happy to show you around the Jeep!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ibock

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/29/21 03:53 PM

You can do it, but you don’t want to push a small engine that hard. I worked for Starwood Motors and have seen many jeeps who tried to pull things in the shop.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/29/21 04:05 PM

Jeep ... roflmao

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/29/21 06:21 PM

My 4-door, with that same motor, would pull a boat. It just required lifters, two sets, cylinder heads, two pairs, then an entire new motor from top to bottom….all before 48,000 miles.

Maybe your 3.6 is a SUPER DUTY 3.6. But….I think it’s the same POS motor.
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/29/21 09:28 PM

NOPE and NOPE
Wife has a Jeep Wrangler and it’s been a great rig…not been to the shop in 80,000miles BUT, I tried to toe BassCat with it once….it sucked
Buddy of mine bought a brand new Gladiator…he had less than 20,000 miles on it and the engine came apart on him last month…he let them fix it and he drove it to the Toyota dealership to get a Tacoma

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/30/21 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by McLovin’
NOPE and NOPE
Wife has a Jeep Wrangler and it’s been a great rig…not been to the shop in 80,000miles BUT, I tried to toe BassCat with it once….it sucked
Buddy of mine bought a brand new Gladiator…he had less than 20,000 miles on it and the engine came apart on him last month…he let them fix it and he drove it to the Toyota dealership to get a Tacoma

Yep. A Chrysler minivan motor…pulling anything but groceries and baby strollers is a bad idea. roflmao[Linked Image]
This little boat KILLED my Jeep.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/30/21 10:48 AM

That looks like my old boat...Nitro 700 LX DC w/ 120 Force.

Great little rig!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Jeep Gladiator? - 06/30/21 12:41 PM

I would call the Jeep abuse hotline! 1 800 NOT RITE
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum