Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing lake texoma from small pond hopper

Posted By: daleche21

Fishing lake texoma from small pond hopper - 06/21/21 11:35 PM

I am at lake texoma I have an 8 foot pond hopper with trolling motor. I know I have to be careful with the lake/winds. We are staying around the Eisenhower state park area. I am looking for a decent ramp to launch from early morning. Looking to catch largemouth, smallmouth, stripers mainly. Any info would be appreciated
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: Fishing lake texoma from small pond hopper - 06/21/21 11:45 PM

You're in a very good area of the lake for smallmouth and there are a number of coves to get you out of the wind if that becomes a
problem. I lived on the lake for 2 years and its a great lake and fished well year round. You'll have fun there-for smallies I would throw tubes and jerkbaits
and some topwater early. For stripers they will just show up in an area and are alot of fun. Good luck. And be careful out there-the winds can come up very
suddenly-so always have a plan to get back to where you started.

Re: Fishing lake texoma from small pond hopper - 06/22/21 12:28 AM

Awesome! Thank you so much for the information. So would you recommend launching at state park?
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Fishing lake texoma from small pond hopper - 06/22/21 12:31 AM

Most all of the marinas have fish in them. Mill Creek would keep you busy all day.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Fishing lake texoma from small pond hopper - 06/22/21 02:07 AM

I’ve fished Texoma from my kayak many times. Just be aware of the weather and make good decisions when conditions change or are already dicey. I’m not familiar with the area you’re talking about, but there is usually a place to get out of the wind at the few areas I’ve fished. Watch out for big rollers caused by the yachts.

Re: Fishing lake texoma from small pond hopper - 06/22/21 10:49 PM

Thanks for all the info! So today I launched from Eisenhower state park and fished from 630-1030. I threw several different top waters, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, swimbaits, shaky head, and wacky worms. I has two small blowups on topwaters. No other bites. At the end I kinda lucked out and found some small stripers schooling and caught one. Only fish for the day. Don’t know if today was an off day or if I need to launch somewhere else in the morning? Any thoughts?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Fishing lake texoma from small pond hopper - 06/22/21 11:37 PM

Where in the marina were you fishing? Did you hit the docks, deep, shallow, points, pockets?

It is a big area...
The rock shelf across from the ramp up to the first pocket is usually pretty good.
The points out to the main lake can be productive.
The back side of the docks can be really good, especially if the sun is up and the water is warm or cold.
Going East, The next two coves are great.
Going West, You've got good water all the way up to the Swim Beach area.

Re: Fishing lake texoma from small pond hopper - 06/23/21 12:57 AM

Fished all of the bank across from the ramp up to that point. Fished all the back of the first cove, then all of the points out to the main point. I fished some of the boat slips, on each group of slips. Maybe I missed the better areas
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Fishing lake texoma from small pond hopper - 06/23/21 12:59 AM

I don't care to fish that end of the lake in the summer.
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Fishing lake texoma from small pond hopper - 06/23/21 02:31 AM

1/8th oz ball jig head, 2 in. bass assassin curly tail grub in one of the shad colors or limetruese - good for just about anything that swims.
Posted By: SRitchey

Re: Fishing lake texoma from small pond hopper - 06/23/21 02:02 PM

Be sure and fish behind the boat docks on the left going out of the park area. Weightless GP senkos work well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum