Texas Fishing Forum

Dumb question but I'll ask

Posted By: WAWI

Dumb question but I'll ask - 06/19/21 09:34 PM

Why is there a limit on spots?????
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Dumb question but I'll ask - 06/19/21 09:43 PM

Judging from the answers of the what kind of bass is this posts in the past. I'd say half the folks cant properly identify a spot.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Dumb question but I'll ask - 06/19/21 11:26 PM

No length limit
Posted By: Igofish2

Re: Dumb question but I'll ask - 06/19/21 11:27 PM

Rayburn shouldn't have a daily limit. But a lot of folks can't tell the difference.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Dumb question but I'll ask - 06/19/21 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001
No length limit

Sorry I should be clear, daily limit
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Dumb question but I'll ask - 06/20/21 02:13 PM

Spots are actually pretty easy to identify... They've got lateral lines in the white of their bellies and a rough spot on their tongues... Maybe it's because I see them more often but there is a distinct difference between the spot and largemouth... Dan
Posted By: 361V

Re: Dumb question but I'll ask - 06/20/21 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
Judging from the answers of the what kind of bass is this posts in the past. I'd say half the folks cant properly identify a spot.

This^^^^IMHO
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Dumb question but I'll ask - 06/20/21 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dan21XRS
Spots are actually pretty easy to identify... They've got lateral lines in the white of their bellies and a rough spot on their tongues... Maybe it's because I see them more often but there is a distinct difference between the spot and largemouth... Dan

Agree. I don’t understand why it’s so hard to see and feel the toothy spot like sand paper on their tongue and know it’s a spot.
Posted By: perchjerker1

Re: Dumb question but I'll ask - 06/21/21 01:00 AM

Spots have taken over major impoundments in the East and are the predominant species. Logan Martin, Lake Martin, Wedowee.
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Dumb question but I'll ask - 06/21/21 01:12 AM

I thought the tooth patch was no longer being used to ID a spot?
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Dumb question but I'll ask - 06/21/21 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by WAWI
Why is there a limit on spots?????

there are no dumb questions, just dumb people cheers
Posted By: Dogfish_Jones

Re: Dumb question but I'll ask - 06/21/21 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by perchjerker1
Spots have taken over major impoundments in the East and are the predominant species. Logan Martin, Lake Martin, Wedowee.

I love my Coosa River Spots…lol. They fight three times harder than a largemouth.
I can pretty much tell you if it’s a spot before I even see it, just by the fight.
Other than the lateral lines on their bellies, their jaw does not go back and past their eyes is another good way. The other way is by the dorsal fins. A largemouth has a deep “V” and almost goes down to their back whereas a Spotted bass is more filled in.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Dumb question but I'll ask - 06/21/21 03:39 AM

Easiest way to tell, jaw line doesn’t extended back past the eyes like a largemouth. You’ve probably caught them before and don’t even know it. Have caught them pretty commonly at Houston County
© 2022 Texas Fishing Forum