Why?-straight vs off set?

Posted By: Rockfisherman

Why?-straight vs off set? - 06/17/21 04:28 AM

Why straight shank hook vs offset hook
for flipping and pitching?

?
Posted By: prosise

Re: Why?-straight vs off set? - 06/17/21 05:15 AM

Just pulled a bunch of straight shank hooks out of the hook box. Darn things have 30k miles on them in the boat, just don't use them. There are too many good hooks out there that i like better. Guess it's person preference. Kept them, but will prob never use them.

Surprisingly the hook box has a ton of money invested, thing is ugly but you get what you pay for. I don't like fiddling with the worm all the time.

Posted By: Ride-or-Fish ®

Re: Why?-straight vs off set? - 06/17/21 07:39 PM

Better hookup ratio on hooksets.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Why?-straight vs off set? - 06/17/21 08:16 PM

I can’t get baits to hardly stay straight when t-rigged on straight flipping hooks.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Why?-straight vs off set? - 06/17/21 08:18 PM

Straight shank on most baits except for 10"+ worms and tubes.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Why?-straight vs off set? - 06/17/21 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ride-or-Fish �
That will be argued by guys that use offset almost as equally as guys that use straight. Personally my hookup ratio went up when I changed to offset decades ago. But plenty report increased hookups w/straight shank hooks. 🤔🤷â€â™‚ï¸
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Why?-straight vs off set? - 06/17/21 10:22 PM

I only use them in very dense cover when flipping/pitching-The keepers help keep the bait on the hook way better.
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Why?-straight vs off set? - 06/17/21 10:40 PM

Super Glue
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Why?-straight vs off set? - 06/20/21 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
Originally Posted by Ride-or-Fish �
That will be argued by guys that use offset almost as equally as guys that use straight. Personally my hookup ratio went up when I changed to offset decades ago. But plenty report increased hookups w/straight shank hooks. 🤔🤷â€â™‚ï¸

+1

I can't stand straight shank hooks. I like a wide gap Txposed.
Posted By: Travis McBacklash

Re: Why?-straight vs off set? - 06/21/21 12:45 PM

I personally haven't used a straight shank hook in 27 years and don't plan to ever use one again.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Why?-straight vs off set? - 06/21/21 12:48 PM

Straight shanks have a purpose….I just haven’t found it yet. EWG or flipping hook for plastics.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Why?-straight vs off set? - 06/21/21 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Straight shanks have a purpose….I just haven’t found it yet. EWG or flipping hook for plastics.

Is a "flipping hook" not straight shank? hmmm
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Why?-straight vs off set? - 06/21/21 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fishinfellow

Nope. A flipping hook puts the odds in your favor, a straight shank worm hook puts it back into the fishes favor. roflmao

But…I guess you’re kinda right.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Why?-straight vs off set? - 06/21/21 01:43 PM

Depends on the line you use and how you want to rig it.

Re: Why?-straight vs off set? - 06/21/21 11:51 PM

A straight shank hook is just that, straight shaft with a round bend. When you rig it it has too much of the bait to go through vs a wide gap Txposed.
So what is your definition of a flipping hook? A flipping hook is what you choose to use. I use a wide gap for flipping. No problem with hook up ratios. I used a straight shank hook with a snell knot punching grass and it tore up the bait so much I switched to a Mustad grip pin hook and that worked way better.
I will never use a straight shank hook again.

Re: Why?-straight vs off set? - 06/21/21 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by MagFluker
Depends on the line you use and how you want to rig it.

Why would a hook depend on the line you use?
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Why?-straight vs off set? - 06/22/21 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by ezbassin

A straight shank hook is just that, straight shaft with a round bend. When you rig it it has too much of the bait to go through vs a wide gap Txposed.
So what is your definition of a flipping hook? A flipping hook is what you choose to use. I use a wide gap for flipping. No problem with hook up ratios. I used a straight shank hook with a snell knot punching grass and it tore up the bait so much I switched to a Mustad grip pin hook and that worked way better.
I will never use a straight shank hook again.

He’s probably talking about the hooks that are literally sold as flipping hooks. And yes. They are straight shank.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum