Texas Fishing Forum

Swim Jig or Chatterbait?

Posted By: 361V

Swim Jig or Chatterbait? - 06/16/21 11:56 AM

Since the Classic the conversations now are all about swim jigs. Duh, right? I consider them very similar baits. I use both but almost always lean towards a chatterbait. Kinda like getting the best of both worlds: a swim jig AND a spinnerbait. The question: how do most of y’all decide when to use a swim jig or when to use a chatterbait?
Posted By: Atta

Re: Swim Jig or Chatterbait? - 06/16/21 12:06 PM

I use swim jigs through emergent grass & brush. Swim jigs are GREAT over pads also! Vibrating jigs are great thrown over submerged grass & brush. Ill also throw vibrating jigs next to emergent grass & brush. I have 2 Jackhammers (one shad pattern & one bluegill or black/blue color) and 2 swim jigs tied on at all times (same color patterns as the jackhammer).
Posted By: Polly Gosh Lizard

Re: Swim Jig or Chatterbait? - 06/16/21 01:39 PM

Posted By: kscatman76

Re: Swim Jig or Chatterbait? - 06/16/21 01:42 PM

My personal rule of thumb has always been chatterbait when there is wind and or stained water and the swimjig when there is no wind or clear water and need something more stealthy. Not sure if that's entirely correct but it's seemed to serve me good the last few years.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Swim Jig or Chatterbait? - 06/16/21 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by kscatman76
My personal rule of thumb has always been chatterbait when there is wind and or stained water and the swimjig when there is no wind or clear water and need something more stealthy. Not sure if that's entirely correct but it's seemed to serve me good the last few years.

My thoughts are similar. The density of cover matters too. Tend to lean more to swim jig the heavier the cover gets.
Posted By: TxSwimbaiter

Re: Swim Jig or Chatterbait? - 06/16/21 07:16 PM

Chatter sun up shallow ran high then change to the jig the higher the sun gets.
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Swim Jig or Chatterbait? - 06/16/21 07:32 PM

I agree with all of the above. I also think a vibe jig is better when they are actively feeding and a swimjig will get bite when other reaction baits won’t. JMO
© 2021 Texas Fishing Forum