Texas Fishing Forum

How's Amistad

Posted By: T21x

How's Amistad - 06/15/21 03:37 PM

Hello all: I am planning a trip next week to Amistad. Yes I know what your thinking but have a family gathering. I know it will be unbearably hot and lake is really low. Anyone been there lately? i guess if you can find some grass would be the best tactic. Any ideas would be really appreciated.
Posted By: BassfisherHTX

Re: How's Amistad - 06/15/21 03:50 PM

I was there about 2 weeks ago the numbers were really good for me 30+ but I didn’t catch a fish over 2.5lb. I was mostly fishing on points and the edges of humps.
Posted By: psylow

Re: How's Amistad - 06/28/21 03:34 PM

How was your trip? I'll be there this weekend and staying at Box Canyon. I'm assuming find the grass and fish the edges?

Re: How's Amistad - 06/28/21 07:57 PM

Main lake grass was producing but was a grind and you really have to stay with it. We did our best up the Rio Grand in the backs of creeks which had grass in back of pockets, Average about 20 fish each day with the largest going 5.2. Also Box is down to one lane on the ramp and stay in the channel when running lake.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: How's Amistad - 06/28/21 10:14 PM

We went out a couple days to try jug lines there and bass fished for 2-3 hours. Caught a couple here & there, but they were the skinniest fish I think I have ever seen. Even the catfish looked like they were starving to death, graphed very little bait fish pods in the lake. Not looking too bright for their future.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: How's Amistad - 06/28/21 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
We went out a couple days to try jug lines there and bass fished for 2-3 hours. Caught a couple here & there, but they were the skinniest fish I think I have ever seen. Even the catfish looked like they were starving to death, graphed very little bait fish pods in the lake. Not looking too bright for their future.

Typical for Amistad bass. Gotten to where I find an excuse to not bring the boat when I visit the inlaws in del rio. Father in law is always asking me to bring the boat so I can take him fishing in the same old spots to catch skinny @ss dinks. Gets old after a while.

Re: How's Amistad - 06/29/21 12:08 AM

True that the bass were skinny, Even the 5 we caught looked terrible. We saw very few bait pods on the graph and when we did they were 30 to 50' deep, No birds working anywhere. Lake is struggling.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: How's Amistad - 06/29/21 04:37 AM

it was the same way earlier this year. every fish is 14 inches long and skinny as hell
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: How's Amistad - 06/29/21 01:09 PM

I think it’s a symptom of dropping the water out of all the grass and what little cover there is every year right when everything is spawning.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: How's Amistad - 06/29/21 04:21 PM

How is the hydrilla now ?
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: How's Amistad - 06/29/21 04:36 PM

Hydrilla is growing fast. Lake has stabilized and temps are up. There is still alot of it out there.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: How's Amistad - 06/29/21 05:06 PM

thumb
Any matted on top ? How deep is it growing (on average) ?
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: How's Amistad - 06/29/21 05:27 PM

Found some matted in main lake 15 ft thick. Other are about 13 ft thick. Hit or miss but they have been working.
Posted By: psylow

Re: How's Amistad - 06/29/21 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Phoenix 920 Pro xp
it was the same way earlier this year. every fish is 14 inches long and skinny as hell

I'm pretty sure I've caught the same exact 13.5" fish about 25 times per trip for the last 5 years.
Posted By: RCarter

Re: How's Amistad - 06/30/21 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by psylow
Originally Posted by Phoenix 920 Pro xp

I'm pretty sure I've caught the same exact 13.5" fish about 25 times per trip for the last 5 years.

I'm with you!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum