Texas Fishing Forum

Lure Retriever

Posted By: Stratos2011

Lure Retriever - 06/14/21 07:12 PM

What is the best lure retriever for bass lures? I know there are a few kinds.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/14/21 07:30 PM

Any heavy retriever with chains works great. Will pay for themselves in a hurry. Do yourself a fabor and spool up an old reel with the retriever line and mount on an old broken rod. I usually cut it down right past the first eye and tape up the end. Otherwise you will be fighting a tangled mess
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/14/21 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by sprigsss
Any heavy retriever with chains works great. Will pay for themselves in a hurry. Do yourself a favor and spool up an old reel with the retriever line and mount on an old broken rod. I usually cut it down right past the first eye and tape up the end. Otherwise you will be fighting a tree angled mess

Great advice! thumb

I use the Jewel Hound Dog Lure Retriever myself. bannana2

Jewel Hound Dog
Posted By: Jason B.

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/14/21 07:38 PM

Not sure the name of it, but I have a telescoping pole with the coil on the end. Closed up, it’s about 4 feet long and extends to about 12 ft or so.
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/14/21 07:39 PM

I have successfully used for years a heavy weight 3/4 -2 oz and a snap. Whatever I have onboard
inexpensive if it doesn't work and you have to break off but seems to work most times,
if you are in the rocks it needs a little more finesse, but works good on wood snags almost 100% depending how hard you set the hook
Posted By: Stratos2011

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/14/21 07:43 PM

Any heavy retriever with chains works great. Will pay for themselves in a hurry. Do yourself a fabor and spool up an old reel with the retriever line and mount on an old broken rod. I usually cut it down right past the first eye and tape up the end. Otherwise you will be fighting a tangled mess

Thanks. Do you use heavy braid for this on the reel?
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/14/21 09:32 PM

This is what I use. I just spool up the line that comes with it and replace it with trotline twine when necessary.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-e-z-lure-retriever?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop%7CGeneric%7CAllProducts%7CHigh%7CSSCCatchAll&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgtjbmImY8QIV2KiWCh2zyg3pEAQYASABEgJ9jfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/14/21 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by FlyFX
I have successfully used for years a heavy weight 3/4 -2 oz and a snap. Whatever I have onboard
inexpensive if it doesn't work and you have to break off but seems to work most times,
if you are in the rocks it needs a little more finesse, but works good on wood snags almost 100% depending how hard you set the hook

+1

cheap and effective
Posted By: dr.juice

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/14/21 11:29 PM

Randy Qualls ( he is so old he can't remember) showed me a Hound Dog 30 yrs ago, and it still is the most dependable tool in my boat. I went to Lewisville with J. Biggs, and he was impressed with its abilities. Trotline on an old reel and anything from crappie jigs to big cranks. Don't leave the dock without it.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/14/21 11:54 PM

Purchase a 2-3 oz. “spider” surf fishing weight and attach 2 small linked chains to the wires-Clip a heavy duty snap swivel were you would tie your line to. Attach a small diameter rope on one of the other wires.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/14/21 11:56 PM

I have one I bought at Academy. It looks like a lure but is lead and has wires to hook on your line. I have an older one that has chains on it. I replace the string on one of my buoys with braided nylon and bought a big swivel to put in the line about a foot above the lure retriever. Keep twisting down. I can see that the fishing reel would be a great idea but this works for me. I also have the 15’ pole lure retriever. I use it a lot when I take the kids fishing! Lol it paid for its self over and over. Shoot just getting lures you see along the bank will cover the cost pretty quick!
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/15/21 12:01 AM

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-e-z-lure-retriever?
Posted By: Igofish2

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/15/21 01:34 PM

With a retractable dog leash.
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/15/21 02:00 PM

Academy Plug Knocker + Key Ring + small chains from home depot = best lure retriever you can get imo

You can put it on one of those retractable dog leash's if you wanna be fancy! LOL
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/15/21 03:51 PM

Hound dog has worked for me for going on 35 years. All the paint has worn off but the chains still work great. I have it on a 28' anchor rein.
Posted By: Igofish2

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/15/21 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by bockscar
Academy Plug Knocker + Key Ring + small chains from home depot = best lure retriever you can get imo

You can put it on one of those retractable dog leash's if you wanna be fancy! LOL

Heck, I thought, breaking a rod and using a good reel, was Fancy. LOL. A $9 leash seems basic. And more compact. I like your adding key ring idea.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/15/21 11:40 PM

The 18’ telescoping pole for 20’ or less.
Posted By: Bofish

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/16/21 02:02 AM

I have a telescoping pole with a heavy wire spiral that works for me. I have used just weights with a swivel to hook on your line and have a "birddog" that I have used. My advise is that if you fish crankbaits get a lure retriever tat works and you will be money ahead and catch more fish because you will throw it where the fish live!
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/16/21 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Igofish2
Originally Posted by bockscar

Heck, I thought, breaking a rod and using a good reel, was Fancy. LOL. A $9 leash seems basic. And more compact. I like your adding key ring idea.

yea, it pretty much turns into something like the daiwa plug knocker after you add the chains and key ring. Ive heard people using the busted rod too. Didnt end up putting mine on a dog leash when i put it together.....so its still just on a marker buoy...but i really do need to do the dog leash deal with it
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/16/21 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
Any heavy retriever with chains works great. Will pay for themselves in a hurry. Do yourself a favor and spool up an old reel with the retriever line and mount on an old broken rod. I usually cut it down right past the first eye and tape up the end. Otherwise you will be fighting a tree angled mess

Great advice! thumb

I use the Jewel Hound Dog Lure Retriever myself. bannana2

Jewel Hound Dog

exactly what I have done....and spooled the big ole 6500 with 100 pound bright orange nylon string
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/16/21 08:32 PM

I got the frabill telescopic one. Paid for itself shortly, I was stupid not to buy one years ago, if your a crankbaiter its a must. I tried home brewing the plug knocker type and just couldn't get it to work. I'm convinced the pole style works better but of course if your caught deeper than 20' you have to use the plug on a string style
Posted By: pchapin

Re: Lure Retriever - 06/17/21 12:17 AM

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum