Texas Fishing Forum

Swim jig color selection

Posted By: TimFish4Life

Swim jig color selection - 06/14/21 02:52 PM

This year I’ve started incorporating swim jigs and personally I love them. My question is, when and where do you decide to use white as opposed to bluegill colors? I know most lakes have both species of forage. Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Swim jig color selection - 06/14/21 03:05 PM

White or green pumpkin. Occasionally a black and blue.

I figure I am trying to mimic shad or bluegill in most cases.

Re: Swim jig color selection - 06/14/21 03:27 PM

I understand those are the primary colors to use, I’m just looking for tips of when to use white vs green pumpkins/bluegill. I know you would reserve bl/blue for muddy water and white during a Shad spawn....but that’s only a short time of the year.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Swim jig color selection - 06/14/21 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by TimFish4Life
I understand those are the primary colors to use, I’m just looking for tips of when to use white vs green pumpkins/bluegill. I know you would reserve bl/blue for muddy water and white during a Shad spawn....but that’s only a short time of the year.

I use white year round. Shad stay white all year. If I see shad in area I throw white.. If I know the bluegill are spawning or see them around docks or flooded cover I try green pumpkin.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Swim jig color selection - 06/14/21 03:41 PM

White 90% of the time. I’ll throw black and blue in the winter when it’s cold if they aren’t hitting the white. When the bluegills are spawning I’ve done good on a bluegill pattern. Also when doing what I call flip and burn I like the greens but the white works too. I’ll flip brush piles and shake it. Then I’ll pull it clear and reel it in pretty fast. Like a perch or shad getting spooked out of a brush pile and swimming away. They will smoke that when their feeding. Dang near rip the rod out of your hands when the hit it close to the boat.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Swim jig color selection - 06/14/21 04:55 PM

White jig & trailer 98.73% of the time
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Swim jig color selection - 06/14/21 04:58 PM

So...fav brands and trailers?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Swim jig color selection - 06/14/21 04:59 PM

If you are on a good crappie lake, a 1/2 to 3/4oz white with a little green works great out deep in the trees during the hotter months.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Swim jig color selection - 06/14/21 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
White jig & trailer 98.73% of the time

Same here.
Posted By: Jusbassin

Re: Swim jig color selection - 06/14/21 05:33 PM

Low light or stained water / white swim jig !
Light stain to clear water / blue gill swim jig !
Posted By: TxSwimbaiter

Re: Swim jig color selection - 06/14/21 06:54 PM

If there's grass I use a trailer that will reflect the light penetration and match it to a skirt that either continues the bait in color that creates a larger profile and more water displacement. I've had a great deal of success with contrast the last few weeks with all of the rain and flooded bushes. Light weight(1/4 -1/2) slow fall shallow, heavier weight faster fall not what you want when you realize that the bait fish have migrated into the shallows. If you don't get bit on the fall keep moving you will eventually and the water is always clearer the shallower.

Re: Swim jig color selection - 06/15/21 01:39 AM

Perfect, thank y’all so much. I will keep the white as primary for now on and keep the pumpkin as the occasional clean up hitter then.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Swim jig color selection - 06/15/21 04:03 PM

Kennedy had 22# on day one throwing white/ white
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum