Texas Fishing Forum

The Classics over and ....

Posted By: meP2too

The Classics over and .... - 06/13/21 11:24 PM

how many nomad anglers will be abandoning the upper north creeks and fishing the west arm.
Posted By: 361V

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/13/21 11:28 PM

or throwing jerk baits on the dam…..in June? Not me……it doesn’t make sense! 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️🤪
Posted By: birds-bass-bucks-beer

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/13/21 11:34 PM

Been fishing the west side more than the other side the last few years so that bums me out. Cats out of the bag
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/13/21 11:35 PM

Cats out of the bag that lake sucks...
Posted By: Chris B

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/13/21 11:37 PM

I knew that other side had to be better after fishing all year on the east side. It's been tough.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/13/21 11:37 PM

Ray Roberts hosting the classic was the equivalent of the US Open on the PGA Tour. Hard to make a move but it doesn’t take much to make a huge difference.
Posted By: birds-bass-bucks-beer

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/13/21 11:40 PM

Its tough but close
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/13/21 11:43 PM

One and done at Ray Roberts?
Posted By: Hulapoppin

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/14/21 12:22 AM

I don’t think the locals have to worry about any new pressure on that lake. That was a sad showing!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/14/21 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hulapoppin
I don’t think the locals have to worry about any new pressure on that lake. That was a sad showing!

It just landed behind Lewisville (for the wake boats) and Aquila (for the over zealous warden and catalytic converter thefts…which the wardens turn a blind eye to) on my list of favorites.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/14/21 12:52 AM

It wasn't a terrible showing - Fishing was tough, but put it on any other southern metropolitan body of water in June. Add in the hottest days of the year with high water and a thunderstorm to upset the apple cart... I contend it held up as good as it could've.
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/14/21 01:11 AM

This weekend reminded me of my last 5 trips to Tawakoni.
Posted By: JC1965

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/14/21 01:18 PM

I have never really ventured past the big island and I was curious to see if anglers were fishing up there, I kind of expected them to be fishing the brush line due to water levels and temps, it seemed to me the bass were still shallow so it was not typical for the lake this time of year but I did learn a couple of things watching them.
Posted By: 361V

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/14/21 01:25 PM

The good news for the RR regulars: I didn’t see anything to make us “non regulars” stop what we’re doing and head up there! 🤔🤷‍♂️😀
Posted By: RandyD

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/14/21 01:30 PM

TP&W ever done any creel surveys?... makes you wonder what's going in with that lake...I fished it when it opened and throughout the 90's ... haven't been back, probably never go back... but it's a shame, a lake that size with that much cover, multiple feeder creeks seems like it ought to have more to show... perhaps it just gets too much pressure, and the fish are smart?... who knows...
Posted By: Brent S

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/14/21 01:36 PM

The only angler that I noticed was way up on the east arm was Palaniuk and he didn't do well up there.

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/14/21 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by Hulapoppin

It just landed behind Lewisville (for the wake boats) and Aquila (for the over zealous warden and catalytic converter thefts…which the wardens turn a blind eye to) on my list of favorites.

roflmao Never been to Loserville but I can tell you I hate that other lake
Posted By: rj74955

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/14/21 02:19 PM

Y’all are spoiled weight-wise, that was one of the worst lightning storms I’ve ever seen. That’ll shut down any lake, plus they couldn’t get back to where a ton of fish were. Everything was shallow, we saw Patrick Walters trying to go deep and caught dinks, if they were offshore he would have caught them.
Posted By: Rockfisherman

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/14/21 02:34 PM

What I have heard and read over the last 2 weeks from everyone who "knows" the lake, including C. Zaldain, who likely got it from a lake
expert said the same thing over and over........."There aren't many bass in the lake, but the ones here are big ones"

Big lake, near DFW with great characteristics to it to be a premier bass fishery and the general opinion is it lacks bass population??????

That should embarrass everyone in the state that cares about fishing. The classic comes to Ray Roberts and the most common comment
is the lack of fish population??

TPWD - Fix it!

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/14/21 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rockfisherman
What I have heard and read over the last 2 weeks from everyone who "knows" the lake, including C. Zaldain, who likely got it from a lake
expert said the same thing over and over........."There aren't many bass in the lake, but the ones here are big ones"

Big lake, near DFW with great characteristics to it to be a premier bass fishery and the general opinion is it lacks bass population??????

That should embarrass everyone in the state that cares about fishing. The classic comes to Ray Roberts and the most common comment
is the lack of fish population??

TPWD - Fix it!

They put them all in Fork
Posted By: kscatman76

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/14/21 03:02 PM

I've been coming from Kansas to fish Ray Bob since 1994. I had never been west of Johnson....we come to flip timber. So it was interesting to see that west side but all they fished was bushes so makes me wonder what it looks like or how the fishing is when the water isn't that high.
Posted By: buda13

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/14/21 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
The good news for the RR regulars: I didn’t see anything to make us “non regulars” stop what we’re doing and head up there! 🤔🤷‍♂️😀

Super happy. It’s an awful lake, y’all stay away!
Posted By: Delvec

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/14/21 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by meP2too
how many nomad anglers will be abandoning the upper north creeks and fishing the west arm.

I've been getting hacked about fishing the west side for years. The fish population is by far better on the river side. fish The lake definitely showed itself this week though.
Posted By: Used2fish

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/14/21 03:51 PM

20 years ago I loved the west branch up in the river. Good flats with grass. Now the grass is gone flats have silted in. Just not what it was.

I’ll go back to my rocking chair now.
Posted By: B-rader

Re: The Classics over and .... - 06/14/21 06:22 PM

The West arm has always been the best part . Dirty water and the lowest population of fish in the lake. Except for a few key spots
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum