Texas Fishing Forum

Drop Shot Questions

Posted By: basser38

Drop Shot Questions - 06/13/21 04:53 PM

1. I usually tie a uni knot for other stuff, for drop shot hook can I tie a uni and leave a long tag end for weight or should I use another knot and why?

2. Should I make sure the hook is pointed upwards always? Read one guy say that.

Any other important details for a noob?
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Drop Shot Questions - 06/13/21 04:57 PM

1. Usually a palomar is used.

2. Yes. Take the long tag end from the palomar and run in back through the eye of the hook. This keeps It up.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Drop Shot Questions - 06/13/21 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by basser38
1. I usually tie a uni knot for other stuff, for drop shot hook can I tie a uni and leave a long tag end for weight or should I use another knot and why?

2. Should I make sure the hook is pointed upwards always? Read one guy say that.

Use a Neko style hook such as the Owner Cover Shot, VMC Fineese Neko, Mustad Grip-Pin Edge Finesse.

Tie the Palomar knot and run the tag back through for the eye for the weight. Hook point always up.

Rig the worm like a Texas Rig

Good article/video on Tactical Bassin'

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Drop Shot Questions - 06/13/21 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright
Originally Posted by basser38

Use a Neko style hook such as the Owner Cover Shot, VMC Fineese Neko, Mustad Grip-Pin Edge Finesse.

Tie the Palomar knot and run the tag back through for the eye for the weight. Hook point always up.

Rig the worm like a Texas Rig

Good article/video on Tactical Bassin'

[Linked Image]

fish
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Drop Shot Questions - 06/13/21 10:03 PM

I use a 1/0 Gamakatsu split shot drop shot hook. Like others have said, palomar knot with a long tag and make sure you run the tag end through the eye of the hook with the hook point facing you.. that is the only way that the hook will always be pointing up. If you run the hook through from the back side, hook is pointing down. You didn't ask about weights but I use 3/8 oz cylinder shaped lead weights. That gives me a good feel of the bottom vs lighter weights. As many as I lose, no way I would use tungsten for drop shot.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Drop Shot Questions - 06/14/21 10:06 PM

I tie a Palomar knot on a #1 or 1/0 Owner rigging hook. Thread your line on the hook point side, tie the knot then put the tag end back through the eyelet. I pull the knot through the eyelet so the knot is under the eyelet and that totally keeps the hook point up, but that is just the way I do it. Texpose the bait and you are good to go. I use a baitcaster for the drop shot. I think most people use spinning gear.
I am more accurate with the baitcaster.
Posted By: Alan

Re: Drop Shot Questions - 06/14/21 10:41 PM

I bought 25 packs of KVD's drop shot rigs on clearance at Walmart a couple years ago for 50 cents a pack. I don't know if they still make them. It is 2 loops at both ends of a small wire with the hook in the middle. They work well. It seems like the bait has more movement than the palomar knot rig.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum