Texas Fishing Forum

Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats

Posted By: machoblanco61

Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/12/21 11:46 PM

Is it just me, or does it look like the arena where they’re holding the weigh in, it’s just not that well attended. I’m beginning to think that the Classic is becoming more of a buyers flea market spectacle than a well attended Bass Tournament.
That said, is having a weigh in really that important anymore?
Posted By: junbengreat

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 12:06 AM

We just got back. It was pretty packed. The expo was extremely packed
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 12:08 AM

It was more of a ceremony, a photo op for the anglers, and an opportunity to talk about sponsors than it was a weigh-in. It lacked excitement and enthusiasm, though there was an element of surprise in the last 10 minutes. I'm sure there was some sort of time restraint.

I think the attendance was disappointing, but tomorrow is the big one, so we'll see.
Posted By: Igofish2

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 12:39 AM

There are 3 type of people that attend events like this:
The hard core type, that want to be there. Either because they HAVE to or they want to say, I'm here and LOOK at me type.
Then you have some that saw in the local papers that something was going on, for FREE, at the expo. Hell, ain't got nothing better to do.
Then there are some that walk away asking, Where were all the bargains realmad
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 12:46 AM

It was evident it was not a real weigh in and they didn't hide it.
Some people who had fish did not even bring anything to the stage. The ones that did only did it to get a picture. They handed their bags to Tripp, he held the bag by his side and the told the crowd what the weight was.

It seemed as it was to let the fisherman get exposure and thank their sponsors.
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 12:46 AM

After reading all the classic threads and realizing how many grumpy [censored]
people live in DFW is it surprising?
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chasin Hogs

Lol well said.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by 206champion

Lol well said.

Yup, lol. I went to expo yesterday for a bit. It may never be here again and I may never get to go again. I thought it was pretty cool. Alot goes on in summer, you have the race, people vacation, kids sports, etc. Glad I spent a couple hours. I think maybe the weigh in is hurt a little by the live coverage, basstrak etc cause you already know the score. It was starting when i left but those railhead beers were calling me.
Posted By: emorydog

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 01:15 AM

Are you saying the Bassmaster Classic, the greatest show on earth, is not having a real weigh in? I thought that was what separated the men from the boys, slinging the big sacks up on the scale a bowing up their chest. I mean where then did they weigh them?? In back of the port-o-let at the ramp in secret? Was there even a scale at the venue? Wonder how they can even call it a weigh in. What a complete fail, not to mention making those guys that been up since 3am and fish all day to drive 1.5 hrs each way for a simulated weigh in. No wonder nobody was there.

This is an unconfirmed photo of the actual Bassmaster Classic weigh-in for 2021....
[Linked Image]

Attached picture 5F3AD867-29FA-49F6-AADE-C54901F106ED.png
Posted By: N2Bass

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 01:19 AM

Yeah. They only did a mock weigh in just to give the boot lips on TFF another thing to bitch about.
Posted By: Mike@972

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Allison1
It was evident it was not a real weigh in and they didn't hide it.
Some people who had fish did not even bring anything to the stage. The ones that did only did it to get a picture. They handed their bags to Tripp, he held the bag by his side and the told the crowd what the weight was.

It seemed as it was to let the fisherman get exposure and thank their sponsors.

Yep. ^^^ exactly this ^^^

Meanwhile, in a similar thread right here on TFF, some folks (and potentially some anglers) are attempting to blame a few of the hard-core spectators for the angler's performance.

Originally Posted by Douglas J
Kenedy says the spectators will likely be an issue.

They should give out locks of hair or something so these people that have a need to be in the way will have a piece of their angler crushes. That way they can just stay home, go to the expo and weigh in. No need to go be a lookey loo

They can't have it both ways. They want spectators or they don't. If they do, they cannot blame performance on said spectators (in public waters nonetheless) and they need to have a legitimate weigh-in for said spectators.

Im not crying foul for how the weigh-ins are occurring (I really don't care)... Im just saying that they cannot have their cake (virgin waters) and eat it too (high attendance).
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by machoblanco61
Is it just me, or does it look like the arena where they’re holding the weigh in, it’s just not that well attended. I’m beginning to think that the Classic is becoming more of a buyers flea market spectacle than a well attended Bass Tournament.

Cameras never do weigh ins justice. It was packed.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 01:52 AM

I attended weigh in on Friday, it was an absolutely awesome experience….TV does not do it justice at all. Had only planned on going that one day but after seeing it in person I’m going back tomorrow.

What difference does it make if Trip pushes a button and the weight shows up versus sitting the bag down on a scale and the weight pops up?
Posted By: basseditor

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 02:04 AM

In the pre tournament press releases, BASS explained that in anticipation of hot weather, they were weighing the fish at the lake. Anglers brought a couple fish to the stage for photo ops. But I believe on the last day, the weight-in will be closer to normal because there are fewer anglers to go through.

Now, if they all brought the catches in and many fish died, we'd be complaining about that.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 02:11 AM

Were there any weather delays at take off this morning? Looked really bad up that way around 6am.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by JCBfromTHF
Were there any weather delays at take off this morning? Looked really bad up that way around 6am.

Yes, bad storms with lots of lightning. Had a two hour delay and killed the morning bite for most of them.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by basseditor
In the pre tournament press releases, BASS explained that in anticipation of hot weather, they were weighing the fish at the lake. Anglers brought a couple fish to the stage for photo ops. But I believe on the last day, the weight-in will be closer to normal because there are fewer anglers to go through.

Now, if they all brought the catches in and many fish died, we'd be complaining about that.

Yep tff'ers are never satisfied what whiney little witches some can be, we should all just be happy its here in the d/fw area and enjoy the experience, or those can go back to their needle point.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 04:28 AM

the weigh in saturday was pretty packed and it slowly trickled down throught the weigh in
Posted By: Will.i.am

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bass-N-Buck Master
Originally Posted by basseditor

Yep tff'ers are never satisfied what whiney little witches some can be, we should all just be happy its here in the d/fw area and enjoy the experience, or those can go back to their needle point.

They all cried about it being a summer classic and how hauling fish is gonna kill the lake, then TPWD & BASS does something to help ease the concerns and now its folks arent showing up because of the weigh-in. Wonder what's to complain about next?!?
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 01:11 PM

I noticed in several pictures from the staging areas that they had oxygen tanks in the seats with lines going to the live wells. Seems like they've done an excellent job on fish care from my outside view looking in.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 01:17 PM

Agree with “it was more of a ceremony”. We were there Saturday. Was it packed out? No. Was there a good crowd? Absolutely. Great show.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by 206champion

Lol well said.

Yup, lol. I went to expo yesterday for a bit. It may never be here again and I may never get to go again. I thought it was pretty cool. Alot goes on in summer, you have the race, people vacation, kids sports, etc. Glad I spent a couple hours. I think maybe the weigh in is hurt a little by the live coverage, basstrak etc cause you already know the score. It was starting when i left but those railhead beers were calling me.

I agree it was hurt by the coverage, if they would keep basstrakk secret I think they would have had better attendance, I think the expo did well but it was dissapointing turnout for the weigh in. When your there it always looks more crowded than it really is, I've been to races like that thinking it was a really good turn out then you see the stands on TV later and realize it wasn't that well attended, thats exactly how the weigh in was yesterday.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 05:00 PM

there was more folks there than any of president bidens rallys an the best of all you didnt have to wear a mask.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 05:11 PM

No there wasn't. I think the expo will be looked as somewhat of a success but the fox broadcast and weigh-in as somewhat disappointing in quality and attendance as in June. Its a shame they couldn't come to the lake in the spring when it would have shown out better but the expo that time of year probably wouldn't have been as well attended, at least this wasn't the disaster the TTBC was on Ray Roberts.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 05:15 PM

We had sixty days of rain in the spring, I’d say BASS was very fortunate with the timing.
Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 05:16 PM

Is that where they get those flat billed caps , flip flops, and baggy butt shorts???? Whoops,almost for got those tournament shirts!!!!
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by herbsteiner
It was more of a ceremony, a photo op for the anglers, and an opportunity to talk about sponsors than it was a weigh-in. It lacked excitement and enthusiasm, though there was an element of surprise in the last 10 minutes. I'm sure there was some sort of time restraint.

I think the attendance was disappointing, but tomorrow is the big one, so we'll see.

Attendance looks worse today. Time for them to change to catch weigh release, keep the weights secret and crown the champ at expo, you would have the same # of people show up.

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001

Attendance looks worse today. Time for them to change to catch weigh release, keep the weights secret and crown the champ at expo, you would have the same # of people show up.

Yeah....not sure what you are seeing. It's pretty packed.Their format ain't broke, no need to fix it.

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 09:38 PM

No there wasn't. I think the expo will be looked as somewhat of a success but the fox broadcast and weigh-in as somewhat disappointing in quality and attendance as in June. Its a shame they couldn't come to the lake in the spring when it would have shown out better but the expo that time of year probably wouldn't have been as well attended, at least this wasn't the disaster the TTBC was on Ray Roberts.

I don't think you have a full understanding about this Expo. I was there start to end every day of it and have worked a bunch of Classic Expos. I took a picture from front door inside lobby at 9:20 this morning. People are packed in like sardines waiting to get I at 10:00 when it opened.
I could tell you some crazy good sales figures I saw the past 3 day. Today by far was the most attended Expo on a Sunday I have been too. It was a madhouse.

Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

Yeah....not sure what you are seeing. It's pretty packed.Their format ain't broke, no need to fix it.

Looks pretty packed to me from what I can see. thumb
Posted By: 361V

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
We had sixty days of rain in the spring, I’d say BASS was very fortunate with the timing.
No kiddingly! Interesting to follow this and see what people are going to beotch about next! Good show and with the logistics of the move from Feb to June? Great show!

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
Originally Posted by Mark Perry

Looks pretty packed to me from what I can see. thumb

It is very packed.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
No kiddingly! Interesting to follow this and see what people are going to beotch about next! Good show and with the logistics of the move from Feb to June? Great show!

February Classic makes no sense to me. You risk a freakish ice storm and in most parts of the country, it would be a drop shot/jerk bait snooze fest for your flagship/premier event of the year.

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by 361V

February Classic makes no sense to me. You risk a freakish ice storm and in most parts of the country, it would be a drop shot/jerk bait snooze fest for your flagship/premier event of the year.

Weights would have been double in February.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 11:45 PM

troll
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B

I would say not this year but you saw what those youtube boys did on OH Ivie so who knows.

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/13/21 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
Originally Posted by Chris B

I would say not this year but you saw what those youtube boys did on OH Ivie so who knows.

That's true but it was scheduled for March. And March would have brought some big bags.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/14/21 12:19 AM

After what I saw this weekend, the classic will be back in Texas. Maybe even DFW in a few years.

Re: Not many butts in the Classic weigh in seats - 06/14/21 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by David Burton
After what I saw this weekend, the classic will be back in Texas. Maybe even DFW in a few years.

I agree.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum