Texas Fishing Forum

Whopper Plopper?

Posted By: Flags

Whopper Plopper? - 06/11/21 04:56 PM

Found one tangled in a snag on Lake Meredith yesterday. I'm not much of a bass fisherman, prefer sunfish and crappie, so I have never even seen one. Curious if the whole spinning tail thing actually works or if it is a gimmick?
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Whopper Plopper? - 06/11/21 04:58 PM

They Work
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Whopper Plopper? - 06/11/21 04:58 PM

They work. Think of it as a cross between a buzz bait and a Zara Spook
Posted By: hadite81

Re: Whopper Plopper? - 06/11/21 06:32 PM

They work Great.
This was my first time ever using one last summer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-_r8sjvHus
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Whopper Plopper? - 06/11/21 08:28 PM

They definitely get bit but I've probably had a 10% hookup ratio on the big 110 version. I threw it last year for the last time lol. I'll be using a spook or a buzzbait moving forward.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Whopper Plopper? - 06/11/21 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fishinfellow
They definitely get bit but I've probably had a 10% hookup ratio on the big 110 version. I threw it last year for the last time lol. I'll be using a spook or a buzzbait moving forward.

That's weird. My hookup ratio is very high. And not like I do anything special. They hit it and I set the hook. I've mainly had success in ponds. Last time I caught 7 in 45 minutes right at dusk when fishing had been slow all day. This was April when the water was still low 60's. In lakes, not sure what I'm doing wrong, but over grass I haven't done well where a swim bait or sinko will work. Also the 110s sink on cast before they float up so they'll still grab grass or slime even though it's top water. Not like a frog in that regard. I usually try both slow retrieve as well as more start/stop a bit jerky trying to mimic a dying fish.
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: Whopper Plopper? - 06/12/21 03:53 AM

I used Whopper Ploppers (90 size) last year and had great success. You have to be careful to straighten out the tail wire if you hit something hard when casting. If you don’t, they will roll and twist your line badly. Probably work best in calmer water. I used solid white and solid black. I have heard a Pro say to reel them pretty quickly. I used a medium retrieve and had no problem hooking fish. I don’t know that they are better than any other top water but are different. Fish seemed to hit and get hooked by the front hook.
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Whopper Plopper? - 06/12/21 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by hadite81
They work Great.
This was my first time ever using one last summer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-_r8sjvHus

Just a suggestion but I would play those fish a little more and lip them next to the kayak. I’m surprised you didn’t get a treble buried into your foot or leg. Cool video.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Whopper Plopper? - 06/12/21 04:33 AM

They work its was only marketed as a muskie bait for years, may not get as many bites but tend to catch quality fish. If the tail is bend and not making the right plop sound they don't work, you can heat them in boiling water and reshape though.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Whopper Plopper? - 06/12/21 12:30 PM

I put a swivel snap on my line , helped with rolling
Posted By: txninja

Re: Whopper Plopper? - 06/12/21 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Flags
Found one tangled in a snag on Lake Meredith yesterday. I'm not much of a bass fisherman, prefer sunfish and crappie, so I have never even seen one. Curious if the whole spinning tail thing actually works or if it is a gimmick?

That’s one of mine, please return roflmao
Posted By: pkskeetersr

Re: Whopper Plopper? - 06/12/21 08:03 PM

Yes they are good baits,I highly recommend them
Posted By: hadite81

Re: Whopper Plopper? - 06/14/21 09:08 PM

Yes sir... Actually cut out some footage where almost got skewered... Had all of the near hooks and actual hooks in the other video for my give away that fizzled in the toilet! Thanks for the view and kind comments.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum