Texas Fishing Forum

Best bang for the buck on reels

Posted By: Coach T

Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 06:16 PM

I am looking for recommendations for a good reel that won’t break the bank. Thanks for any suggestions. We fish a bunch.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 06:25 PM

For $100 or under look at the Daiwa Fuego, for a little more you can get a Daiwa Tatula CT.
Posted By: gt2003

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 06:25 PM

What price range? That may help you get some better answers and maybe better define "we fish a bunch". God luck!
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 06:30 PM

I don't know what your budget is but for me, I'd say the absolute best reel for the price is the Curado K. I've used them for literally every technique that I fish and they will do it all. But if $180 is a little steep for you, the SLX is also a great workhorse for a hundred bucks.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Fishinfellow
I don't know what your budget is but for me, I'd say the absolute best reel for the price is the Curado K. I've used them for literally every technique that I fish and they will do it all. But if $180 is a little steep for you, the SLX is also a great workhorse for a hundred bucks.

cheers
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 06:39 PM

Better define “break the bank.”

13 Fishing Inception is an awesome reel for $120

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 06:46 PM

$100 or under would be ideal. I probably go out for the day 60-70 times a year. Bass fishing in east Texas.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 06:54 PM

SLX or whatever the “$99 Lews” flavor of the week is.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 06:56 PM

Maybe some BPS CarbonLites. I don’t know what the regular price is, but I have bought some Johnny Morris signature reels on sale for $99 each. Lot of reel for that price point.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 07:11 PM

I can usually find Revo SX's on ebay for $120 or so. They are my favorite reel for the price.

Bought a bunch of STX's when the Gen 3's were on sale for $80 and I wish I would have bought the SX's for $60 instead.

Kind of like Ford vs Chevy debate, I've had about 3 or 4 Lews in the past, and I'm just not a fan.
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 07:13 PM

Look at all the tatulas. theyre pretty much tiered price wise. pick whatever meshes best with your budget....those are all good reels imo.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 07:25 PM

Academy H20 ones and if you want to got ultra cheap those $19.99 chinese reels off ebay, bunch of guyf I know use them.
Posted By: Ben B

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 07:31 PM

I can't really speak for other brands - but all I use are the Shimano SLX's and I'm extremely satisfied which is why I can't bring myself to change! The SLX goes for $99 but - consider this...

If you're fishing a bunch you are likely fishing a bunch of different sizes and weight baits. To me...you need a reel that you can easily adjust the brake settings so you aren't constantly having to open up the casing to access the braking system and adjust them - and risk stuff falling out into the water at that. That being said - my recommendation is spending the extra $30 (instead of buying more reels for various techniques) and going with the SLX 150 XT. It's got the infinity brake system and an extra bearing - I've got 1 SLX and the rest are the XT's and I feel the XTs do cast a tad further (yes...thrown the exact same bait/weight, exact same line type/size, on exact same rod with both reels).

Just my 2 cents!
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 07:33 PM

Daiwa Tatula CT
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
For $100 or under look at the Daiwa Fuego, for a little more you can get a Daiwa Tatula CT.

I have several of the Tatula CT, they are great and have all the necessary gear ratios.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 07:43 PM

Under 100 dollars, the H20 Xpress reels from Academy are AWESOME reels.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 07:44 PM

Abu Revo X Gen 4 has a lot of features for just $100
Posted By: Bowtech32

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 08:04 PM

Another vote for the SLX
Posted By: champ

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 08:28 PM

Basspro Pro Qualifier 2 100.00 bucks
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 08:46 PM

Revo sx just works and works, I rinse them off about once a year, add 1 drop of oil and they last forever.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 09:06 PM

Here is my take. Add a reel every once and awhile. Get a quality reel and keep it in working order.
If you don't go in salt your maintenance is minor and they will last 20 years.
Posted By: Brandon Potter

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 09:36 PM

Bass pro qualifier 2, Tatula CT are good. Carbonlite reel is 100% garbage
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 09:44 PM

For 49 bucks you can buy 4 Black Max's for the price of 2 of the SLX and I have 3 SLX. I also have 2 Black Max's and candidly they throw great. Johnny with Fish the Moment uses them alot.
Posted By: 572Fitter

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 09:57 PM

Shimana SLX
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 10:22 PM

After trying low end Lews and Revos the past couple of years I will be going back to Shimano. I’ve beat up all brands equally and the Shimano reels have lasted the longest.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 11:27 PM

Lots of good value reels mentioned; at the $70 price point, I recommend the Pflueger Supreme.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 11:37 PM

I am a novice at fishing with anything. I was totally convinced that no one made a bait caster that I could throw with any accuracy and not bird nest it every other cast. Then I tried a Daiwa Tatula SV TWS. I bought two of them used from the classifieds on this forum.. Both were spooled with line and they are awesome. I don't have them as loose as an experienced guy but I have no worries about back lashing them.

Wayne
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/08/21 11:39 PM

There’s only one brand of reels. - Lew’s.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/09/21 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by sprigsss
I can usually find Revo SX's on ebay for $120 or so. They are my favorite reel for the price.

This is right on. I also like the Lews Tournament MP. Both in the $150 price range and cheaper on sale.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/09/21 12:19 AM

At the BASS Expo in Houston they had some great prices on reels. Only put them out occasionally.

I also have gotten them off Tackle warehouse on close out at years end.

Best deal I ever saw was American Fishing had Curado 50 E for $89.Those were great reels. I was going to buy 10 of the but didn’t. Still regret that.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/09/21 12:20 AM

I recommend Tatulas.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/09/21 12:24 AM

The Shimano SLX is a great reel but the best bang for the buck is the Daiwa CR80 Less than $80 on ebay. I have 6 of them and they are awesome. I also have some very expensive reels to compare them to and they are absolutely the best reel for the money. They are more of a finesse reel so if you need a more heavy duty reel I would choose something else. What technique are you wanting it for?

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/09/21 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

I love Lews reels and have a bunch of them. My favorites are the Super Duty, regular and the wide spool, and the BB1 Pro but Daiwa and Shimano also make some great reels, so your statement is totally false. Fake news.
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/09/21 04:10 AM

I like and use the Shimano SLX XT and Daiwa Fuego and Daiwa Tatula CT. I give a slight edge to the Shimano SLX XT. TheLew’s Speed Spool LFS is also good.

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/09/21 04:21 AM

This is all great information. Thanks for sharing. The reels are really for my college son. Although I’m always looking for a good reel at a good price. He is getting into tournaments so he is trying to build a small collection of poles. His one good set up is a curado I bought him about 7 years ago. Other than that he doesn’t have anything that is good. So he is trying to add 2-3 more decent setups. Again, thanks for the info.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/09/21 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
Originally Posted by reeltexan

I love Lews reels and have a bunch of them. My favorites are the Super Duty, regular and the wide spool, and the BB1 Pro but Daiwa and Shimano also make some great reels, so your statement is totally false. Fake news.

Agreed. I love my Daiwas and my Shimanos.

The only issue with Daiwa right now is their supply chain on parts is terrible. SW Parts in Dallas has just about stopped selling them due to the issue.
Posted By: Martinial

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/09/21 03:12 PM

Garcia Black Max (usually around $40). I use them for my sq. bills, Red eye shads and chatter baits. I use the Revo-X (different price range) for my plastics. The Black Max are very good reels, the only issues I've had with them is fine tuning my drag
Posted By: WylieWalker

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/09/21 04:01 PM

Lew's LFS all day.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/09/21 04:28 PM

The Shimano SLX is a great reel but the best bang for the buck is the Daiwa CR80 Less than $80 on ebay. I have 6 of them and they are awesome. I also have some very expensive reels to compare them to and they are absolutely the best reel for the money. They are more of a finesse reel so if you need a more heavy duty reel I would choose something else. What technique are you wanting it for?

Kinda surprised to hear someone else say this and I was almost embarrassed to say it, but it's true. I've got Curado K's, Lews, Tatula's, Revo Rockets, etc, but for $80 that little CR80 is a very nice little reel. I use it for skipping docks and or cranks when you're in close quarters. They are a little more finesse, but not too bad for eighty bucks!
Posted By: saibling

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/10/21 12:23 AM

The SLX is a beast of a reel for the price. Usually find on sale around 98.00

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/10/21 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by fivebites

Kinda surprised to hear someone else say this and I was almost embarrassed to say it, but it's true. I've got Curado K's, Lews, Tatula's, Revo Rockets, etc, but for $80 that little CR80 is a very nice little reel. I use it for skipping docks and or cranks when you're in close quarters. They are a little more finesse, but not too bad for eighty bucks!

Yep the cr80 is a great finesse reel for the price.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/10/21 01:17 AM

If a guy had 14 shimano E’s and wanted to finally make a change would he regret swapping to SLX’s ?
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/10/21 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tiltman
If a guy had 14 shimano E’s and wanted to finally make a change would he regret swapping to SLX’s ?

Probably!
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/10/21 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by champ
Basspro Pro Qualifier 2 100.00 bucks

Best reel under $100, and like he said, when they go on sale, you can get 2 for $100-$120.

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/10/21 01:53 AM

BPS reels are junk. Just my opinion.
Posted By: Poodle

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/10/21 03:36 AM

Another vote for Black Max!
Posted By: GringoPescador

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/10/21 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by fivebites

Probably!

Shoot me a PM if you have any 50E’s, I’ll buy them all!
Posted By: Discloco

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/10/21 08:46 AM

SLX is sweet for that dollar range. I do agree that checking the classifieds, eBay and bbc for reel deals has definitely saved me some coins over the years. Am I a brand snob? Yep, Shimano all the way! I’ve owned almost every brand out there and have been impressed with none more than Shimano. Daiwa, second and all others tied for last.

If I was just starting out, maybe look around for some used “ greenie” curados?

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/10/21 08:47 AM

200e7 ?

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/10/21 08:50 AM

Maybe back in the day when Shimano had their name on them! Lol!
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/10/21 01:18 PM

All I use is BPS reels now. I have 1 shimano. For pieces of junk they sure do the job and last a long time. Mostly PQs for me, 7 JM Platinums ( these are on the higher price side)

Have broken just as many other brands as I have BPS brands.

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/10/21 02:47 PM

OK..... I’m happy for you. To each his own. #Merica cheers I don’t begrudge anyone for using them, just my opinion. Glad they work great for you B-Mac thumb
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/10/21 07:47 PM

Would it matter if he was only going to throw the same spinnerbait all day - every day?
woot

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/11/21 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Slide_R

Would it matter if he was only going to throw the same spinnerbait all day - every day?
woot

a guy has to have back ups !

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/11/21 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Slide_R

woot

a guy has to have back ups !

roflmao
Posted By: fishr3

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/11/21 05:40 PM

Whatever you buy, to get the best bang for your buck, learn how to properly maintain the reel. Clean and lube the reel bearings. You can also further extend the life of a cheap reel by replacing the bearings. I was unable to find a source for spare parts on a BPS reel, so I took bearing measurements and ordered from Amazon. I'm throwing a Shimano Curado, and Lews Mach 1, or a BPS reel and they all seem to do the job. The price difference in the reels should be reflected in the quality of the bearings more than the quantity of bearings.

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/12/21 11:39 PM

Not as long as you keep the E reels also.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/13/21 12:25 AM

I know I got extremely lucky but I have been trying to break this Megabass KO from Aliexpress for 3 years... [Linked Image]
Posted By: BNKrust

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/13/21 04:33 AM

Revo X all day. All gear ratios, Winch 5.4:1, Reg 6.6:1, and the High Speed 7.3:1
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/13/21 04:53 AM

daiwa tatula and shimano slx without a doubt. dont buy that generic chinese doyo reel [censored]

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/13/21 10:07 PM

I found a brand new in the box E7 in the safe that I thought was an empty box! OMG

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/14/21 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by BNKrust
Revo X all day. All gear ratios, Winch 5.4:1, Reg 6.6:1, and the High Speed 7.3:1

Way better reels than the Revo. Daiwa, Lews, and Shimano.

If you like old school reels the Revo's are it.

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/14/21 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

I found a brand new in the box E7 in the safe that I thought was an empty box! OMG

Nice ! I really like what I have they all still work fine but I would like to try the newer stuff. Has anyone on here used shimano SLX XT ?

That seems like a pretty nice set up for the price
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/14/21 01:14 AM

Got a Tatula 150P today at the expo for $128. Regular $160.
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/14/21 03:26 AM

I like the two Shimano SLX XT reels I own. I can cast them far, and the retrieve is smooth. They feel like high quality. I haven't used them extensively but really like them so far.
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/14/21 03:39 AM

I stopped buying cheap reels years ago so I’m of no help. Buy the most expensive Shimano you can afford is my advice.

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/14/21 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by BNKrust

Way better reels than the Revo. Daiwa, Lews, and Shimano.

If you like old school reels the Revo's are it.

roflmao
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Best bang for the buck on reels - 06/14/21 01:30 PM

Lews or Daiwa
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum