Texas Fishing Forum

Stretchy line for what?

Posted By: basser38

Stretchy line for what? - 06/08/21 06:05 PM

What bass techniques or generally do you want some stretch in your line, and when do you want no stretch? Where I fish its a little rocky actually less cover than most places.

If you could explain why you do sometimes want it and not, then name some techniques where those apply that would be helpful.

TY!
Posted By: Statton48

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/08/21 06:15 PM

I’m probably an odd man out on this but I’ll run 10lb mono on some square bill situations.... burning them and ripping them in cover. Also will use on open top water situations some too
Posted By: blackhawk19

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/08/21 06:20 PM

I just use it for walking baits
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/08/21 06:33 PM

Cranks,spinner baits and top water.
I use mono for these.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/08/21 07:12 PM

Carolina rig leader
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/08/21 07:14 PM

Topwaters/Deep divers. You can get away with a little heavier/more moderate action rod if you're using a line with a little more stretch to it. Same way you can go with a little lighter action rod if you're using braided line.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/08/21 10:28 PM

Can't remember the last time I used mono.
Next time your bored or need to take the kinks out of your Floro.. Tie it off to something solid then walk off to a distance equivalent to a long cast.
Engage the reel and count the number of steps it takes to get all the stretch out. It will surprise you..
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/08/21 10:36 PM

mono is a lot cheaper for budget minded once in a while weekend fishermen,... popcorn2
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/08/21 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001
Carolina rig leader

^^this^^^
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/09/21 12:43 AM

All lines stretch except braid. I use braid for punching thick grass and top water frogs.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/09/21 03:26 AM

Light line and big fish means you need some stretch.
Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/09/21 03:30 AM

That's why they have a drag system on reels!!!
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/09/21 03:52 AM

I use 12lb Stren Mono on my Trap Rod and use the same 12lb mono for my Carolina Rig leader. I've used Stren all my life and will keep on using it.

BD
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/09/21 01:14 PM

I use mono on any moving bait... Spinner, crank, top water... Floro for jigs, worms, flippin, pitchin... Dan
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/09/21 01:30 PM

You want minimal stretch when fishing in thick vegetation--frog, punching pads and mats (straight braid)

Almost all other situations, especially with treble hooks, you want something in the middle--enough force to penetrate the fish's palate/mouth, but enough stretch for when they might surge close to the boat.
A nice compromise for all other situations is braid to leader.

Bank fishermen can get away with the most stretch, because they are fishing from solid ground that doesn't move--you have the most ideal leverage scenario.

Float tube/paddle board fishermen will move toward the fish on every hookset, thus need the least amount of stretch.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/09/21 01:34 PM

Topwater is about all ill throw on mono. I know some people love it for cranks but i feel like i get them deeper with flouro and have enough play between my rod and drag that i dont have to worry about pulling hooks
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/09/21 07:47 PM

Fluoro stretches more than mono.
Posted By: goodman_fishing

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/10/21 02:08 AM

Leader for my braid. I need some stretch in the leader otherwise it'll just pop on a hard hookset when using braid as a mainline.
Posted By: Discloco

Re: Stretchy line for what? - 06/10/21 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by SC-001
Carolina rig leader

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Light line and big fish means you need some stretch.

Ooh! I like this guy’s answer!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum