Texas Fishing Forum

Wacky rigging

Posted By: Ben B

Wacky rigging - 06/07/21 02:35 PM

How many of you guys prefer to use a weighted jig head like a 1/16 oz or 1/8 oz as opposed to weightless on you wacky set up? I realize that wind and depth probably factor in to each situation...but I was just curious if anyone felt like one or the other was consistently a better option in general.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Wacky rigging - 06/07/21 02:45 PM

I use weighted tungsten hooks depending on depth and wind. Usually 1/16 and 1/8 oz.
Posted By: rickys

Re: Wacky rigging - 06/07/21 03:58 PM

I use weighted golf tape to get the exact weight I'm looking for.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Wacky rigging - 06/07/21 06:29 PM

Don’t drag a wacky jig worm on the bottom like a shakey head, doesn’t work... noidea grin
Posted By: Ibock

Re: Wacky rigging - 06/07/21 06:34 PM

Weightless is best. Small weight if you want to work faster.
Posted By: rkd

Re: Wacky rigging - 06/07/21 06:35 PM

I have been using a straight shank/weedless wacky hook (the kind with the wire loop over the hook) and squeezing a 1/16 or 1/8 split shot on the shank. Hasn't interfered with hook sets and I can switch out weights or take the weight off without cutting the hook off.
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Wacky rigging - 06/08/21 01:57 AM

Purpose of the wacky rig is to force you to be slow and methodical. if you start adding weight you may as well throw a light texas rig.
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Wacky rigging - 06/08/21 02:54 AM

only when the winds kicking up enough that I feel itll mess with the fall. I also use tungsten flick shake heads from omfishingsinkers

i hate that the wacky rig catches...still waiting for my jordan lee classic wacky giants tho, theyre usually 4 or under when they bite my wacky rig....but i go weightless as much as possible so that expensive senko can do its thing and i get my moneys worth LOL

Re: Wacky rigging - 06/08/21 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Capt. Bryan
Purpose of the wacky rig is to force you to be slow and methodical. if you start adding weight you may as well throw a light texas rig.

Partially agree and partially disagree...I don’t think it’s PURPOSE is to slow you down. I think it DOES just so happen to be a slower presentation by default though. I also think that throwing, say, a 1/16oz wacky rig vs a 1/16oz TX Rig is still 2 different presentations. Unless it’s hit on the fall, a Texas rig is designed to be fished along the bottom. Wacky rig is top to middle part of the water column and generally fished with a bait that mimics a dying shad.

Just respectfully disagree that adding a weight to a wacky rig makes gives it the same effect as a TX rig. To me they are two distinctly different but equally effective presentations.
Posted By: Kyle903

Re: Wacky rigging - 06/08/21 08:48 PM

No weight if using a senko...small nail weight in the head if I'm throwing a trick worm
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Wacky rigging - 06/09/21 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Capt. Bryan

That is not true at all. The wacky rig is a totally different presentation and look under water than a Tx. rig. They do not look the same at all. Both work well at catching fish but they are a totally different presentation.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Wacky rigging - 06/09/21 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle903
No weight if using a senko...small nail weight in the head if I'm throwing a trick worm

+1
Posted By: FSWITX

Re: Wacky rigging - 06/09/21 01:19 AM

Weightless only
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Wacky rigging - 06/09/21 01:20 AM

[Linked Image]

These in 1/16 and 1/18oz.

Re: Wacky rigging - 06/09/21 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
[Linked Image]

These in 1/16 and 1/18oz.

Cool, thanks. I've been using the VMC ones and they seem to work well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum