Texas Fishing Forum

Question for dobyns guys

Posted By: WAWI

Question for dobyns guys - 06/06/21 12:02 AM

Is the champion extreme or xp, whatever, 784 gonna be the same as the old 784 ML ??? 784 ML is the greatest crig rod ever and mine is near death.

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/06/21 12:03 AM

And before it gets started I dont care what crig rod you use. I like the 784 ml and that's all I want to hear about.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/06/21 12:22 AM

I have a 784 Extreme HP I use for carolina rigs. Not a bad rod at all but not worth the retail price IMO. Sorry I can't be more help.

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/06/21 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
I have a 784 Extreme HP I use for carolina rigs. Not a bad rod at all but not worth the retail price IMO. Sorry I can't be more help.

I hear you, they are all too much but if I'm gonna pay to much I might as well like what I'm paying too much for.
Posted By: MDM

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/06/21 02:59 AM

The newer 784 is not the same as the old 784 ML. Have both and I also prefer the ML. Have run across a couple used ML models but they were not in the condition I wanted to buy. The newer ones feel like a power softer, wish they had a 785 version.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/06/21 03:06 AM

Dobyns is the most overrated rod on the TFF!
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/06/21 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket
Dobyns is the most overrated rod on the TFF!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Clint H.

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/06/21 04:33 AM

I have many high end rods Nrx , Megabass Desteoyers, Orochiis , Gary Loomis Edge,
And Dobyns is my favorite. Great people up there. Own both 784 models. Both the best 3/4 oz football head rod I’ve ever fished. The HP 784 landed a 50 plus pound Blue cat no problem. Love their rods. Since I started fishing Dobyns haven’t bought anything else. Probably have over a dozen of them. Mostly Hps extremes and one kaden.
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/06/21 11:44 AM

I really love my 804 for Crig. Tried to PM you an idea, but it be full

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/06/21 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by danceswithbass
I really love my 804 for Crig. Tried to PM you an idea, but it be full

I have an 804

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/06/21 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Clint H.
I have many high end rods Nrx , Megabass Desteoyers, Orochiis , Gary Loomis Edge,
And Dobyns is my favorite. Great people up there. Own both 784 models. Both the best 3/4 oz football head rod I’ve ever fished. The HP 784 landed a 50 plus pound Blue cat no problem. Love their rods. Since I started fishing Dobyns haven’t bought anything else. Probably have over a dozen of them. Mostly Hps extremes and one kaden.

I fish mostly kistler although the constant insert popping out has me about sick of those. The suckage of rod guides is a whole nother topic
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/06/21 12:04 PM

I haven't tried the older 784 to the Xp model but other Dobyns extreme older rods seem softer than the XP models that I have. The old 703 seems very similar to the 702 XP.

The warehouse is located in Sulfur Springs and he might have a couple of the older ones there. He has a ton of used rods to choose from.

I have two of the older 874's and I agree, they are a fantastic C-rig rod.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/06/21 12:08 PM

Have you seen these new C-rig rods? Gots LED lights on 'em that turn off and on when raised and lowered. Perfect for night fishin'!

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/06/21 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
I haven't tried the older 784 to the Xp model but other Dobyns extreme older rods seem softer than the XP models that I have. The old 703 seems very similar to the 702 XP.

The warehouse is located in Sulfur Springs and he might have a couple of the older ones there. He has a ton of used rods to choose from.

The soft tip is what I like about the 784 ml, it almost seems to light to you figure out it's not, its alot softer than the 804 which I break fish off on hook set with
Posted By: ma1950

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/06/21 07:21 PM

I bought my first Dobyns rod at the Classic expo in Houston and it is my favorite rod a 743 champion ex. and i was looking forward to seeing them at this years expo but I don't see them on the venders list

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/06/21 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI

The soft tip is what I like about the 784 ml, it almost seems to light to you figure out it's not, its alot softer than the 804 which I break fish off on hook set with

I like the Dobyns Sierra 734 for a C-rig also. It has good tip action for the C-rig. It loads up very well and I get long casts with it.

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/07/21 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by WAWI

I like the Dobyns Sierra 734 for a C-rig also. It has good tip action for the C-rig. It loads up very well and I get long casts with it.

I'll check that out

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/07/21 11:31 PM

I know that going from the 784 to the 734 seems like too much but the handle is longer on the 784 so you aren't loosing the full amount at the tip.

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/07/21 11:57 PM

I know that going from the 784 to the 734 seems like too much but the handle is longer on the 784 so you aren't loosing the full amount at the tip.

Gotcha, I'm gonna grab one whilebmy 784 is getting eyes done. Always room for another rod lol

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/08/21 01:05 AM

Yep, I have two of the older 784's and two of the 734's, plus a lot more Dobyns rods.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Question for dobyns guys - 06/08/21 01:16 AM

Yep, I have two of the older 784's and two of the 734's, plus a lot more Dobyns rods.

Don't have a 784 but do like my DC734C! cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum