Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Bob flooding and the Classic?

Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 05/31/21 02:11 PM

Thoughts? about to get a bunch of rain right now and rain in the forecast for the next 7 days.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 05/31/21 02:27 PM

Throwing a big time curveball at em... I’ve been convinced someone deep with live scope was gonna crush em on schools of fish none of us even know exist. Now it may very well be won with a frog and flipping stick. The wild card to all of that is release rate. If they open up the gates and it starts dropping fast the bite will get tough. It’s setting up really good for a great classic.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 05/31/21 02:36 PM

I'm interested to see what cut wait is to make final day. I think several will struggle and there will be plenty of non limits each day. Weights will be top heavy I think.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 05/31/21 02:42 PM

As much as I want to see all Classic anglers get em on Ray Bob...I think what Mark is saying is true. Top heavy as is every tournament on Roberts.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 05/31/21 02:53 PM

I just hope the ramp will still be useable

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 05/31/21 02:57 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of if the lake gets closed and they have to move it, that would be hilarious if they moved it to Lewisville.

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 05/31/21 03:01 PM

As we have seen this year a championship can get moved to a different laje twice and still happen with no issues. If it's Lewisville so be it. I bet it happens as planned on Roberts.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 05/31/21 03:31 PM

John Cox may approve. Plenty of flooded brush. Swim jig was the deal yesterday.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 05/31/21 03:33 PM

The lake is still a long ways from all the ramps being closed. The marina ramp could possibly be used even if the others closed. I also don't see them pulling on the lake to hard with Lewisville high. I enjoy fishing the lake with it up. I think it will actually help.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 05/31/21 06:01 PM

If they have move anywhere I think it will be Eagle mountain not Lewisville. The classic is a smaller field so that lake could handle it and they had the Memorial which was a Bassmaster top 50 type event on Eagle mountain in 2006 so there is some history there.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 05/31/21 06:21 PM

I hope it comes up another 3 feet.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 05/31/21 06:31 PM

Buck has to be close , because Pond is about 12 inchs to the pavement this Morning .
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 05/31/21 06:41 PM

I am due east of the lake, same forecast for them.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 05/31/21 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Barrett

I'd prefer they leave it three feet high from now on.

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 05/31/21 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
I am due east of the lake, same forecast for them.

[Linked Image]

1.5 inches of rain today LOL, look at the radar to whats coming from the west and there's already been one soaker today
Posted By: Barn

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 05/31/21 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit 200 XP
Buck has to be close , because Pond is about 12 inchs to the pavement this Morning .

Buck has been closed this weekend.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 05/31/21 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001
If they have move anywhere I think it will be Eagle mountain not Lewisville. The classic is a smaller field so that lake could handle it and they had the Memorial which was a Bassmaster top 50 type event on Eagle mountain in 2006 so there is some history there.

Now that would be a hoot. I would love to see what those boys could catch on EM.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 01:03 AM

Could have it at joe pool but understand lynn creek marina is closed, dont know the lake are there any more ramps.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 01:16 AM

I hope it doesn’t get moved Iam wanting to see them fish that lake but I was hoping it would be a off shore event but I don’t know now.

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 01:22 AM

At what elevation do they close the state park ramp

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by ReelSlow

Now that would be a hoot. I would love to see what those boys could catch on EM.

I would love to see it moved to EM or Bridgeport @ the 11 hour, it would be a true mystery lake like the first Classic, one of the most memorable Bassmaster tournies was that one they moved to Old Hickory at the last minute and that guy won on a buzzbait.

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bass-N-Buck Master
Could have it at joe pool but understand lynn creek marina is closed, dont know the lake are there any more ramps.

Joe pool is a slot lake, they won't go there, I am kinda surprised they even went to Conroe a few years ago with it being a 16 inch minimum lake.

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 10:55 AM

Seems like we fished it at about 5.5 - 6’ high a couple years ago. Marina ramp is good to probably close to 10’ high. Even if the lake is closed to us regular folks I’d bet the classic anglers still get to fish.

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
Originally Posted by ReelSlow

I would love to see it moved to EM or Bridgeport @ the 11 hour, it would be a true mystery lake like the first Classic, one of the most memorable Bassmaster tournies was that one they moved to Old Hickory at the last minute and that guy won on a buzzbait.

Everything past the 380 bridge is inaccessible now. You cannot get a boat under the bridge so that eliminates a fairly good portion of the 13,000 acres. It will be inaccessible for weeks at least.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 03:27 PM

PK and weigh in at bug beach

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by pil,b
PK and weigh in at bug beach

thumb
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 04:38 PM

Ray Bob up 3' now.
https://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/individual/ray-roberts
Posted By: DBGSIG

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 04:39 PM

Lewisville is 5+' high and rising. They will not be able to release much from RR if the conditions stay the same. Down stream from Lewisville is also high.
Posted By: JC1965

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 06:53 PM

I think the high, cooler, off color water is helping the fishing, it will be nice to see where the pros go on a lake I have been on a few times, I want to see what I have been missing LOL
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 07:45 PM

I bet all the guys that had been practicing were thinking deep off shore stuff, looks like the shallow stuff will be in play.
Posted By: Stratos2011

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 09:03 PM

Is there a video of that tournament on Eagle Mountain? I looked on youtube and didn't find it.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stratos2011
Is there a video of that tournament on Eagle Mountain? I looked on youtube and didn't find it.

It was a memorial tournament for the first lifetime bass member I don’t remember his name but I bet you can use google and find it I actually helped at the weigh in .

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 09:55 PM

https://m.bassmaster.com/analysis-eagle-mountain-lake-day-1-0

Bassfan also had an all star type event on Eagle Mountain as well
Posted By: LFA17

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 10:04 PM

It was the first BASS coverage by ESPN. It was the Don Butler Memorial Classic. Don handed Ray Scott a hundred dollar bill to become the first lifetime member. He won the second Classic on the spinnerbait he manufactred. He called it the SOB (small okie bug) and he sold Johnny Morris a uhaul trailer load of bass fishing lures to start his Bass Pro Shop in the back of his dad's liquor store.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/01/21 10:52 PM

Wow, Don Butler. Back in the early 90’s, we used to hold our bass club meetings at his place in Tulsa, Okie Bug. He would be there a lot, but his son ran the place. I sure miss those days when I was wet behind the ears and green as a gourd. I just wish I still had that fishing passion that I used to have back then.

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/02/21 12:41 AM

I did a search. I cannot find the video of this on eagle mountain

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/02/21 12:47 AM

Is it easy to get on the water and follow these guys around?

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/02/21 12:53 AM

It’s not going to be moved anywhere. They are having the tournament at Ray Roberts. The girl that answered the phone at the stage park today said the lake can not get so high that they will cancel the tournament. Every other boat ramp might be closed .
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/02/21 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by slim 285
It’s not going to be moved anywhere. They are having the tournament at Ray Roberts. The girl that answered the phone at the stage park today said the lake can not get so high that they will cancel the tournament. Every other boat ramp might be closed .

Bet that old boy that owns the marina with the only ramp accessible at a certain level is hoping it comes up another 3 or 4 feet LOL
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/02/21 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Barrett

Why so mean, why would you not want them to smash em', coukd it be- oh never mind.

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/02/21 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Stratos2011

I've never been able to find it, they actually fished the last day on Benbrook and it was a hole course format, I remember Ike was in the running to win it, I think Peter T was the one who eventually won. They actually called these Majors and the payday was like 250K, there were 3 in 2006 and 3 in 2007 then these events became defunct. For some reason they took the 2012 and older shows off the Bassmaster website but there are still some on youtube, here is Bassmaster Lewisville 2005
Posted By: BNKrust

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/02/21 05:09 AM

Isn't that the tourney where KVD pulled an 11 out of there?
Posted By: 361V

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/02/21 06:00 AM

Yep. June 1, 2005. https://www.bassmaster.com/news/20-questions-vandam

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/02/21 11:20 AM

Got out on Roberts yesterday evening for a few hours. I’m surprised at how clear the water is after all the rain, fishing was tough as usual but the lake itself is in GREAT shape.

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/07/21 03:32 PM

Uh oh

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/07/21 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by buda13
Got out on Roberts yesterday evening for a few hours. I’m surprised at how clear the water is after all the rain, fishing was tough as usual but the lake itself is in GREAT shape.

Bridgeport is same way. Even though its risen 6' as of late it is still a lot more clear than in previous years when it rains a bunch.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/07/21 03:55 PM

Once lakes get higher than normal they clear up quite a bit because there is no longer a dirt bank for runoff or waves from wind and boats to wash over, it is all strained by grass, weeds, brush, etc..
Posted By: LStewartPlano

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/07/21 05:58 PM

So if I wanted to take my 10 year old grandson out Saturday and just follow some of the pros, where is the best place to put in and how would I know who we are looking at (is there a list of who is in which boat?) . I keep my boat stored at Buck Creek , but it's closed.
Thanks

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/07/21 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by LStewartPlano
So if I wanted to take my 10 year old grandson out Saturday and just follow some of the pros, where is the best place to put in and how would I know who we are looking at (is there a list of who is in which boat?) . I keep my boat stored at Buck Creek , but it's closed.
Thanks

You might have to go to the marina and use that ramp . Just be prepared to pay !!
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/07/21 06:43 PM

If you go to the Sanger ramp and it is full, the marina is right there so probably a good option. Last time everything was closed the marina was only $5.00 to launch but that was a few years back.
Posted By: Bowtech32

Re: Ray Bob flooding and the Classic? - 06/07/21 06:44 PM

I put in on Johnson Saturday, it was fine
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum