Texas Fishing Forum

Buckbrush

Posted By: Flip-n-go

Buckbrush - 05/26/21 06:14 PM

Do you get hung alot pitching, flipping buckbrush? I swear, I stay stuck more than not, aggravating, but catch just enough to keep me fishing it. Just griping, loving this new water.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Buckbrush - 05/26/21 06:18 PM

It’s part of it. But....gotta get it in there to get bit.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Buckbrush - 05/26/21 08:30 PM

Heck as high as Rayburn is you will be way behind the Buck Brush looking for the fish! banana
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Buckbrush - 05/26/21 08:33 PM

Wishes ours had water around/over them.
Posted By: june-bug

Re: Buckbrush - 05/26/21 08:39 PM

Yes that's part of it. I drew a guy once in a tournament that was fishing out the back of my boat. Older guy who's been around a while. I was on a buck brush pattern and told him so the night before. He shows up with a rod and reel rigged with 30 pound mono. Not only did he not break off but I found that he got hung up considerably less than myself with 65lb braid. He was getting back in the stuff too. He also claimed that you would get bit more with the mono because it was quieter. I got bit more that day but he was getting second shot at most of the bushes. Always on the back my mind though when this topic comes up.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Buckbrush - 05/26/21 09:13 PM

on some of my local lakes buck brush has exploded and is spreading more and more every year. its a pita to fish but the fish do like it
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Buckbrush - 05/26/21 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by june-bug
Yes that's part of it. I drew a guy once in a tournament that was fishing out the back of my boat. Older guy who's been around a while. I was on a buck brush pattern and told him so the night before. He shows up with a rod and reel rigged with 30 pound mono. Not only did he not break off but I found that he got hung up considerably less than myself with 65lb braid. He was getting back in the stuff too. He also claimed that you would get bit more with the mono because it was quieter. I got bit more that day but he was getting second shot at most of the bushes. Always on the back my mind though when this topic comes up.

Seems like the braid will actually dig/cut into the limbs more than floro or mono which can be frustrating. I use 20lb floro and usually don't have any problems.

Re: Buckbrush - 05/26/21 09:53 PM

Maybe something to the mono. I'm using 30#PP & seems to be like Velcro in the bush. It's going to be hard to break out the Trilene tho! roflmao
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Buckbrush - 05/26/21 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Flip-n-go
Maybe something to the mono. I'm using 30#PP & seems to be like Velcro in the bush. It's going to be hard to break out the Trilene tho! roflmao

Yep. Try 25lb InvisX. It’s really good in that kinda stuff.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Buckbrush - 05/27/21 04:20 PM

Pegging my weight helps a lot with not getting snagged. Also using tungsten helps since its usually smaller than lead. I don't like using a plastic with a lot of appendages either. I want a streamline, compact type bait like I do when I punch.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Buckbrush - 05/27/21 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Pegging my weight helps a lot with not getting snagged. Also using tungsten helps since its usually smaller than lead. I don't like using a plastic with a lot of appendages either. I want a streamline, compact type bait like I do when I punch.

Are you less likely to TexPose when fishing like that? Does a traditional "dug-in" Texas Rig give more opportunity for the plastic to cover the hook-point thus avoiding inadvertent hook snags?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Buckbrush - 05/27/21 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by David Burton
Originally Posted by Mark Perry

Are you less likely to TexPose when fishing like that? Does a traditional "dug-in" Texas Rig give more opportunity for the plastic to cover the hook-point thus avoiding inadvertent hook snags?

I still Texpose it. I lose a few to snags but not near as much as before I started pegging it. The reason I Texpose is it I find in a lot of cases the fish are way back in the brush so I am pitching way up in it and do not always get a clean hookset.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Buckbrush - 05/27/21 05:53 PM

Depends on how thick. If super thick I bury the hook. Like Rayburn right now, you're flipping trees in 6-8ft that are normally on dry land. Your boat is sitting in 10-14ft so there isn't much brush, it's all 6-8 ft under your boat.

Re: Buckbrush - 05/27/21 09:18 PM

Feels like I'm throwing a cast net in there! Definately improving on my accuracy for sure. Pegging & streamlining helps alot, texpose vs traditional doesn't seem to matter to me. Bites are usually instant, sometimes just a line jump swim off. Now if the ramps stay open all will be good.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Buckbrush - 05/30/21 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Flip-n-go
Do you get hung alot pitching, flipping buckbrush? I swear, I stay stuck more than not, aggravating, but catch just enough to keep me fishing it. Just griping, loving this new water.

Try a V & M swim jig. It has an unusual head shape (different from other swim jigs) and it seems to roll through the brush better than anything I have used before.
Posted By: DBGSIG

Re: Buckbrush - 05/31/21 01:56 AM

I almost never use braid around buck brush. It is like a magnet to braid. I use 25 lb fluro. I don't get hung up near as much.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum