Texas Fishing Forum

Weird things you've snagged

Posted By: BrockstaRama

Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 03:29 PM

I snagged a fully extended old school lawn chair/laydown (?) In front of a couple game wardens once and of course the limit length jokes were hilarious... Anyways what are some weird things you have snagged while fishing?
Posted By: GreaseMonkey

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 03:40 PM

Railroad spike. It was balanced on the tip of the hook and under the head of spike.
Posted By: Rutster

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 03:44 PM

I recently caught a full size brick......lol I say caught because one of the crankbait hooks ended up in one of the brick holes ...it didn't fight well but sure did pull
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 03:50 PM

Toilet lid......Lake Worth
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 03:55 PM

I snagged someone's line a while back ( using a spinnerbait ) , as I am pulling all this line out of the water trying to get to the end , it had a 3lber on it from some guys chatterbait . first fish of that day .
Posted By: Alan

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 04:00 PM

I have snagged many rods and reels over the years. One of the best was a box loaded with tungsten weights. The absolute weirdest was a 2 tooth retainer. I fought a hubcap that I thought was a lunker .
Posted By: BASSCATONE

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 04:02 PM

Lake Sommerville I hooked a Coleman Gas Lantern right in the handle with a Carolina rig.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 04:12 PM

Over the years, a ladies swimsuit bottom, ladies swimsuit top (different lake), several beer/soda cans, large clam on a Carolina rig, landing net, bait net, minnow bucket, a couple of junk rods and reels, my crankbait I had snagged maybe a half hour before I got it back.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 04:19 PM

Caught a bikini top once... It had been in the water for awhile and I sorta kinda cleaned it up before throwing it in the live well so I could throw it away later. I forgot about it until I got home and was cleaning up the boat. Took it out and threw it on the garage floor. The wife came out a short time later and saw it on the floor... I had some 'splaining to do!... Dan coolio
Posted By: TxFisherman03

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 04:46 PM

Caught a used condom..... Wonderful Lake Arlington...
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 04:56 PM

Push along lawn mower, snagged it several time and had no idea what it was, until the lake level dropped and it was on dry land.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 05:13 PM

I've had large clams clamp down on my line. Also pulled a large piece of asphalt up from a road bed.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 05:47 PM

Deer carcass
Boot
Submerged trot line that ran across a cove with about 30 hooks
Posted By: Rockfisherman

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 05:51 PM

Hoffa, threw him back...............
Posted By: Dogfish_Jones

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 06:26 PM

Weirdest thing I've ever snag had two bulging eyeballs, fins on its back and tail, two on the side. Greenish in color and a big ugly mouth. I threw it back very quick, it scared me.... I've never seen anything like that when I went fishing before.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 06:47 PM

Two brand new spinning rod outfits, and a brand new set of boat buckles...still had tags in all of it.
.....ON ONE CAST! It was better than winning the working mans tourney that night. Lol.

Caught anbeqch umbrella on Pool once. Trying to break off, but it slowly kept coming up. VERRRYYY SLOWLY.
Posted By: stratos caster

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 06:47 PM

One of those gizmos outlaws use to shock up fish.
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 06:59 PM

A cracked bong, hooked it in the crack.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 07:07 PM

a round rock that went about 5 lb. gave me a real good fight. Had one barnacle on it and that is what my square bill hook caught on.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 07:32 PM

last year I got hung on something that I could move.. was throwing a slab spoon for white bass. I get it up and its a piece of half inch nylon rope. I keep pulling on the rope and its just about 50' long and has a big claw anchor on it! I kept the rope and took the anchor to the drop off station. It hadn't been in the water long, the rope was in pretty good shape.

BD
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by TxFisherman03
Caught a used condom..... Wonderful Lake Arlington...

I've caught panties, bra, lawn chair, and a few beer cans from lake arlington lol
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 07:41 PM

A chainsaw.
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 08:04 PM

All on the same day...

* Large set of granny panties
* Full beer, caught by the pull tab
* Crayfish on a plastic worm
* Freshwater muscle that closed down on my crappie jig

Funny part of the day was actually catching bass, crappie and sunfish.
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 08:08 PM

probably the same folks!
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 08:09 PM

A kite
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 08:48 PM

I snagged the once in a lifetime, ever elusive, unicorn young hot gal at the world famous East Fork Restaurant, dance hall, and crab shack!
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 08:52 PM

.several years ago was fishing a Redman(BFL) tourney on Lake Sinclair(Ga.)..was fishing around docks and came up on one with couple little boys bream fishing off it..one was probably 6 years old and other one couple years older........did the usual "catching anything" greeting and both of them started telling me about a giant catfish had pulled their fishing rod out of the holder and swam off the night before and it was the older boys brand new rod and reel....both of the boys were kinda dejected over losing the rod and we told them we were sorry and continued fishing down the bank...
probably about two docks down,I saw a bobber in water at edge of a boat house with no rods on nearby docks...just on a hunch,I raised the bobber up with my rod tip and pulled the bobber to the boat and pulled in the line....no giant catfish but there was a brand new rod and push button reel....

I turned around and headed back where the boys were on the dock....as I got with within earshot I told them I had found a rod and reel that I might sell cheap...the older boy asked how much and I replied probably a dollar would be enough....older boy told the younger one to run up to the house and get a "dollar from Daddy"...and younger started to the house and I told him to hold on a minute til they saw the rod because it might not be worth a dollar....I can tell you,it was worth a hundred dollars to see the look on their faces when they saw the rod lying on my deck,recognized it as theirs and both of them trying to tell me at same time that was the rod the catfish had swam away with...I told them that if that was their rod,I just couldn't charge them anything......and it was worth another hundred dollars to have seen them running up to the cabin hollering out to their Dad they had got their rod back...

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 09:06 PM

here's another weird things story...

bass,a brick and a banker story.

Back in late 80's Redman (BFL) held a combined Bama/Georgia tournament on Lake Eufaula...I think they way underestimated the number of fishermen who would show up...it was about 375 fishermen and back then Redman tournys were draw type so the drawing took several hours as did boat launching the next morning and taking boats out after the tourney...weigh in went pretty good with two sets of scales but they never tried to do a combined tourney again...
it was typical tough post spawn fishing on Eufaula and mid morning I only had two small fish when I decided to fish a bluff wall on south end of lake...the river channel kicks in against the bluff and there was 40 yard stretch where I had caught some good fish over the years...
I was casting a jig N pig and there was a ledge about 10 ft deep on this bluff with some trees/logs washed up against it then it dropped off to 30-40 ft.....I get a bite and it was a strong fish,finally get it up to the top and it's too big to jump and is wallowing on surface and my no boater managed to get the net under it before it can dive again..... it weighed .9lbs 4 oz...
my no boater asked if I had another one of those jig n pigs and after that great netting job,I hopped down,got one out and even tied it on for him.. he makes a cast before I could get back on front and catches a 5 1/2 lb fish.....(that little act of kindness would cost me)
we fish a little further down the ledge,I hop the jig and get this mushy feeling and set the hook....something jerked back so hard it almost took the rod out of my hand,I pull back and get another couple of hard pulls just like if a big bass has got your line over a limb...I get over top of the fish,give it some slack and this "fish" dives again....was only using 14 lb test line so I couldn't put a lot pressure but finally get it coming up toward the boat....a
at this point,I'm convinced I've got a huge bass snugged up against a limb and am pulling both to the top...even told my no boater that he may have to drop the net and reach under a limb to grab fishes jaw...
seemed to take forever but finally I got it to the top.....and it was a damn oversize brick that somebody had put a wire loop on and was using as a anchor...
I had hooked the wire loop which was the "mushy feeling" and when I set the hook the brick started tumbling down the bluff and everytime I gave it slack,the brick would tumble down the wall further...having just caught a 9lb fish,it didn't take much to convince me I had hooked another one...
I think I finished 6th and got a pretty good check but as mentioned earlier I would have won the tourney if I had caught that 5 1/2 lb fish my no boater caught...
I did end winning big fish for the tournament and the pot was about $1,500. and the largest big fish pot I ever won.....back then big fish pot was $5.00 per fisherman with $1.00 going to bass research and $4.00 going to big fish winner...
the banker in this story is a guy I got drawn out with a year later in a Redman/BFL tourny on Lake Wheeler in north Alabama...It was my first time to fish the lake and I decided to go as a no-boater...drew a guy from area that who mentioned he managed a small bank......
during the course of the day,we got to talking about big fish and he mentioned he almost won big fish on the Eufaula tournament the year before...went on to say that he had weighed in his 9lbs 2oz fish early and had been leading for the entire tournament and with only a few guys left in the weigh in line,he had gone into the marina to get a coke....I believe his exact words were "when I came back out,one of my buddies told me some sumbitch had weighed in a bass 2 ounces heavier than mine".....
I told him if it was any consolation,him being a banker and all,the guy what won probably needed the money more than him....he immediately asked if I knew that guy and when I told him he was looking at him.....he threatened to make me swim to the bank...
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 09:21 PM

I was fishing a Carolina rig on Rayburn last fall. I got hung up so I got out my lure retriever. I went to work trying to recover my rig. I finally got it loose! It was really snagged up. I pulled it I and I had recovered my Carolina rig, and my retriever along with another Carolina rig and hound dog lure retriever! The Carolina rig I caught was a really nice one with brass weights and beads. Poor guy lost his rig and his retriever trying to get it. I still use both of them. Lol
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 10:21 PM

The steel part (only) of a lawn rake on Conroe.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 11:15 PM

A LM Bass on RayRob.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/25/21 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Durham
last year I got hung on something that I could move.. was throwing a slab spoon for white bass. I get it up and its a piece of half inch nylon rope. I keep pulling on the rope and its just about 50' long and has a big claw anchor on it! I kept the rope and took the anchor to the drop off station. It hadn't been in the water long, the rope was in pretty good shape.

BD

Years back, I threw my anchor over the side and waited for it to hit bottom. Watched the line zip into the abyss below and realized that I had not tied the end to the boat cleat. bang I’m sure you weren’t at Boerne lake though.

Haven’t caught anything too odd, a rock, a metal chair, small chunk of asphalt and a tire. Not sure how the tire didn’t break my line, it was a beast.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RYAN R

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/26/21 12:01 AM

Chicken foot used as bait on a trot line
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/26/21 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by beartrap
.several years ago was fishing a Redman(BFL) tourney on Lake Sinclair(Ga.)..was fishing around docks and came up on one with couple little boys bream fishing off it..one was probably 6 years old and other one couple years older........did the usual "catching anything" greeting and both of them started telling me about a giant catfish had pulled their fishing rod out of the holder and swam off the night before and it was the older boys brand new rod and reel....both of the boys were kinda dejected over losing the rod and we told them we were sorry and continued fishing down the bank...
probably about two docks down,I saw a bobber in water at edge of a boat house with no rods on nearby docks...just on a hunch,I raised the bobber up with my rod tip and pulled the bobber to the boat and pulled in the line....no giant catfish but there was a brand new rod and push button reel....

I turned around and headed back where the boys were on the dock....as I got with within earshot I told them I had found a rod and reel that I might sell cheap...the older boy asked how much and I replied probably a dollar would be enough....older boy told the younger one to run up to the house and get a "dollar from Daddy"...and younger started to the house and I told him to hold on a minute til they saw the rod because it might not be worth a dollar....I can tell you,it was worth a hundred dollars to see the look on their faces when they saw the rod lying on my deck,recognized it as theirs and both of them trying to tell me at same time that was the rod the catfish had swam away with...I told them that if that was their rod,I just couldn't charge them anything......and it was worth another hundred dollars to have seen them running up to the cabin hollering out to their Dad they had got their rod back...

awesome story ---- did you get a video of this -- I am sure it would be a hoot to see their reaction
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/26/21 12:24 AM

A baby beaver.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/26/21 12:44 AM

A gator.
Caught someones fishing line with a bass still on it.
Caught a jerk bait with a crank bait. It was new.
Posted By: Piscivore

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/26/21 01:04 AM

A trolling motor remote control. It was the same make and model remote that I used so I took it home and cleaned it up good after taking it apart. To my surprise it still worked so paired it up to my trolling motor and used it as a backup. It was the only thing I caught that day.
Posted By: Richa

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/26/21 03:34 AM

And I thought I was the only one to ever catch a big clam! I was fishing on Lake Fork and I felt something mushy so I set the hook. I was fighting this softball size clam to the boat. I was fishing a Texas rig and the weight was inside the clam.

I know I like to fish slow but am I fishing too slow? On a positive note, I think I found one of those elusive shell beds that McFarland always talks about,
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/26/21 04:27 AM

I caught a pocket rocket at lake gladewater. It was floating around by a dock and hooked shooting docks for crappie. A buddy of mine used it for a beer coozie for the longest time.
Posted By: Bass Junkie

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/26/21 12:13 PM

A flying buzzard
A flying duck and bat on my first cast
Nutria
Cormorant
Home Depot Bucket
A broken line that was snagged on another broken line that had a 10lb carp snagged on it
An old fishing rig (I was trying to snag mine that I had just lost)
My ear
Posted By: Big Hopper

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/26/21 01:06 PM

Starfish while halibut fishing on a slack tide out of Kodiak Alaska.

Sep-Brother says, "That's when you know fishing is good. When a Starfish has time to crawl over your bait."
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/26/21 01:23 PM

Blue Heron on a buzz bait at Fairfield.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/26/21 01:32 PM

A stringer of catfish.

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/26/21 02:12 PM

In 60 plus years of fishing I've hooked a variety of creatures besides fish....owls,snakes,turtles and..... a coon....
True story and I've got a witness to prove it....back in mid 90's my no boater and I were practicing day before a BFL tourney on Millers Ferry (south Alabama)...we were in the backwaters off the main river, fishing some flooded grass with spinnerbaits....I had rolled the hook down on mine so I wouldn't hook any fish that I might want to come back and fish for in the tourney...looked up ahead of us and there was this half grown coon wading around in the shallow grass,I assume he was looking for crawfish...
coon wasn't paying any attention to us and I threw my spinnerbait probably 8-10 from him to see what his reaction would be...I thought he would probably run off but the opposite happened and he made a mad dash over trying to grab the bait...I jerked it away from him and shouldn't have thrown near him again but I did....the spinnerbait landed a little too close and he pounced on it quicker than I could jerk it away...
give anything if I could have had a video of what happened next....this coon has got my spinnerbait in his mouth and is backing up with all four feet and I'm pulling back as hard as I can with 20lb line...this coon is stripping drag and going backwards for 10-12 ft and apparently he bit through the line..when the line broke,he stopped, took the spinnerbait out of his mouth and held it with both paws and started eating the skirt and worm trailer just like he was eating an ear of corn...he ate the worm first them would take bites of the skirt and when he try to pull the strands of rubber off they would break and slap him in the face,he'd shake his head and take another bite...took him a couple minutes to finish then he sniffed the bait couple times,threw it down and ambled off down the bank...never did pay any attention to us...tried to go get what was left of my spinnerbait but it was too shallow and boggy to get close enough to retrieve it...
Posted By: RKT

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/26/21 05:20 PM

The shirt to a sheriff deputy uniform.
Posted By: aggieangler01

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/27/21 01:25 PM

I think I know right where that was. My buddy and I were sinking pallet houses back in 2004 or 2005 off that little secondary point... lol. That lantern stayed lit for a long time down there on the bottom.
Posted By: ZeroHour

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/27/21 04:21 PM

Fishing a spillway in ohio I lost 3 or so lures to what felt like a net. I went up to the local tackle store and bought a massive weighed treble and pulled up a cast net with 78 crankbaits and more jigheads than I could count.
Posted By: LUguy08

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/27/21 04:41 PM

Flounder fishing in NC, I caught a mason jar with an octopus inside.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/27/21 05:07 PM

Fishing for grouper far offshore of Louisiana I caught an antennae. It even still had the wire, the pipe and all attached. Damn thing had to weight at least 150 pounds. Cranked right in with 500 pound braid though.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/27/21 06:16 PM

Mens boxer shorts. gross.
Posted By: hogbus

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/27/21 06:23 PM

My own fishing combo I had lost a couple years early under my dock. Nice falcon, shimmano Calcutta combo. She cleaned up good.
Posted By: pinetree

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/27/21 06:26 PM

Car radio for men on Tyler.
Posted By: redloon

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/27/21 06:33 PM

I once caught a bra while fishing below Lake Lavon dam. I spent the next hour trying to catch the mermaid that lost it.
Posted By: flippinskeeter

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/27/21 07:57 PM

Caught a blanket at Lake Waco. The guard told us to be careful, that a gentleman had drowned the day prior, and there was an unattended boat in the cove (guy was bow hunting). I definitely thought I caught a body given how heavy that thing was.
Posted By: prosise

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/27/21 08:27 PM

Coors Light can and a 15 pounder. Coors light can was last year on a jigging spoon, the 15 pounder was on a 3XD last week.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: YakfishinTx81

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/27/21 08:44 PM

Trump flag on Ray Roberts from earlier this year.

[Linked Image]

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/27/21 08:55 PM

We did that with a vrush pile at fork once. My buddy saud we had to get his favorite crank back. I was like...got an anchor? We snagged the enormous brush pile to shore so he could get his crank back but them noticed gawd knows how many cranks, jigs, hooks, rigs, drop shots everything. Surprised no one did that before us.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/27/21 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by ReelSlow
A LM Bass on RayRob.

Did that one time too, in the 90's...
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/28/21 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by YakfishinTx81
Trump flag on Ray Roberts from earlier this year.

[Linked Image]

That’s a keeper! I’d hang that on my wall!
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/28/21 03:46 AM

A magnum condom and also some cannonball with a fuse on it. Both from lake Arlington...
Posted By: CarlB

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/28/21 12:26 PM

I caught a stuffed bear at Southside Lions Park in SA.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/28/21 01:19 PM

I was with 2 clients on Monticello one day. It was mid day and we were trolling DD22's. My client was letting his out behind the boat and was turned around talking to me as he free-spooled it out. He put the reel into gear and I heard him shout. I turned around and his line was 40' in the air. A seagull had picked it up and flew off with it. He fought it in and I netted it. Poor seagull was not happy but we get the hook out off its claws and released her to fight again one day.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/28/21 05:27 PM

My son caugh a pair of wrangler blue jeans. On the next cast I caught a Nike shoe. We decided to fish elsewhere after that.
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/28/21 06:10 PM

That’s 3 rubbers from Arlington on this post.
Posted By: LittleGazoo

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/28/21 06:53 PM

Caught a long neck beer bottle on Lake Fork.
Posted By: ShinerInTx

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/29/21 03:04 AM

This thread reminds me why I’d drive 3 times further not to fish Lake Arlington.

Snagged a 3” shad once while vertical jigging. In retrospect I should have just swapped to live bait fishing at that point. Also caught an Abu 6500 w/ rod on Whitney.
Posted By: ShinerInTx

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/29/21 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
My son caugh a pair of wrangler blue jeans. On the next cast I caught a Nike shoe. We decided to fish elsewhere after that.

2 more casts and you could have been the best dressed guy in East Texas...
Posted By: lunkerloser

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/29/21 06:11 PM

I caught a women's purse at R-C. It was full of something and I had dreams of riches or returning it to some hot babe. Instead it had about 20 bags of Slug-o's in it.

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 05/29/21 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by lunkerloser
I caught a women's purse at R-C. It was full of something and I had dreams of riches or returning it to some hot babe. Instead it had about 20 bags of Slug-o's in it.

Win win either way
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Weird things you've snagged - 06/01/21 01:56 PM

Horseshoe during a bass tourney (it was not necessarily good luck) on T-wok

The eye of a sinker I had broken off catfishing the week before. Still had the catfish on the other end.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum