Texas Fishing Forum

Mercury Pro XS four stroke

Posted By: Spyder_Jig

Mercury Pro XS four stroke - 05/25/21 01:05 AM

Curious about the longevity of these motors. Any horror stories so far? Been running a Yamaha SHO for quite some time but when I order my new boat a black motor may be on the back. What's the run down on these vs the Yamaha SHO?
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Mercury Pro XS four stroke - 05/25/21 01:15 AM

Heard of a few lower units went out, I’ve had four of these motors since they came out and haven’t had an issue at all. New boat will be here next month and it has the Mercury as well.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Mercury Pro XS four stroke - 05/25/21 02:40 AM

I’ve repaired one 200 V8 that was damaged in a collision on the road. Had to pull the powerhead to replace the two main pieces below power head and trim assembly.

I am impressed with them, engineering is solid sands the upper motor mount. I can see where they shaved weight and fear a dead on impact with lower unit to a stump could be catastrophic. Other than that I love it, runs strong on my aluminum boat.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Mercury Pro XS four stroke - 05/25/21 12:52 PM

the engine itself seems bullet proof. on my 2nd one. Have heard of some gear cases issues, but that has always been there even before the 4 strokes. Same for the shift shaft sensor.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Mercury Pro XS four stroke - 05/25/21 01:04 PM

225 hours on my 250R and couldn't be happier..
I've used Merc's for 30 years Mostly out of the race division ---- as far as I can tell it's the best one yet.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Mercury Pro XS four stroke - 05/25/21 01:26 PM

My dad repowered with a 200 four stroke earlier this year. He's probably on the water 2-4 times / week and absolutely loves the new engine.
Posted By: Spyder_Jig

Re: Mercury Pro XS four stroke - 05/26/21 01:22 AM

Sounds like a good motor! Thanks for the feedback. Looking at ordering a new boat soon and didn't know whether to go with a Yamaha SHO or the Merc. Sounds like I couldn't go wrong with either.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Mercury Pro XS four stroke - 05/26/21 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Spyder_Jig
Sounds like a good motor! Thanks for the feedback. Looking at ordering a new boat soon and didn't know whether to go with a Yamaha SHO or the Merc. Sounds like I couldn't go wrong with either.

Good luck on getting an engine, I was told 24 weeks on an R motor.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Mercury Pro XS four stroke - 05/26/21 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Happykamper

I would think the nitrous injection you add would cause delays
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Mercury Pro XS four stroke - 05/26/21 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI

Just getting the bottle filled....
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Mercury Pro XS four stroke - 05/26/21 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI

LOL, I know I do not need all that power but to quote a famous movie line, " Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it ".
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum