Texas Fishing Forum

Trailer Repair Help

Posted By: Hook'em79

Trailer Repair Help - 05/21/21 09:21 AM

Asked wife to park the trailer after dumping me the lake a few weeks ago and ended up with this:

[Linked Image]

Anyone know someone that can fix this for me?

And for those wondering yes, we found the owner of the other trailer and are in the process of making it right.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/21/21 11:20 AM

Did it crack the weld on the support bracket where you wouldn't want to use it as a step anymore? I'd try a trailer repair store near you if so.

Otherwise I'd say try using a big pipe wrench to get the metal back in place then use spray paint to touch up any marks made. Adds character.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/21/21 12:34 PM

Might try Classic fiberglass and see if Chris can help
Posted By: DBGSIG

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/21/21 12:58 PM

McGills in Lewisville
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/21/21 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by DBGSIG
McGills in Lewisville
Posted By: GreaseMonkey

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/21/21 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by bronco71
Originally Posted by DBGSIG
McGills in Lewisville

Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/21/21 05:21 PM

At least your boat wasn’t on it at the time....
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/21/21 08:49 PM

first thing is to find someone with a cut table, laser preferred.

take a picture of the other side and get measurements, find a shop that can duplicate the cutout first.

next will be finding someone that can bend the channel, shop that can cut it may be able to.

then find a welding shop and have it welded.

rattle can some paint on it and go feesh!
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/21/21 08:52 PM

Tell her to fix it ....
Posted By: prosise

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/21/21 08:59 PM

To be honest, it's a step.. Just call it character. Think about how many lures you can buy with the $ you are going to spend having it fixed. Get the biggest pipe wrench you have and try and bend it back. And if you cant bend it, get a persuasion tool and beat on it a bit.. But do it when the boat is off the trailer..

Prosise
Posted By: tejasbass

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/21/21 09:03 PM

Chris at Classic Fiberglass
Posted By: emorydog

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/21/21 09:09 PM

Seen that similar situation on a Phoenix. dead blow hammer or a heavy rubber mallet I think it could be very close to original within an hour. Zero cost unless you have to buy a couple tools. That is not channel and only thin facing to hold that sheet of white poly that slides right out. Or take to the shop.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/21/21 10:21 PM

I have mixed reviews of McGills.

The fabricator/welder did PERFECT work. The guy that installed the springs installed the wrong ones. The prop guy “forgot” to rework the prop. They didn’t paint their repairs.

But...everyone’s experiences vary.

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/22/21 02:27 AM

Appreciate the info gents.

I thought about trying to do it myself but I know it would always bother me. I like for my things to be right so leaving it the way it is will not be an option for me.

As far as telling her to fix it, our marriage doesn’t work like that. She made a mistake and felt so bad about it she spent the evening crying and so I just ended up taking her home. $hit happens, I told her it was ok and nothing to be so upset about but the boat is new to me so it really bothered her.

She parked our ski boat trailer 100 times after dumping me, she just forgot she was pulling a trailer and took the turn too tight is all.

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/22/21 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by prosise
To be honest, it's a step.. Just call it character. Think about how many lures you can buy with the $ you are going to spend having it fixed. Get the biggest pipe wrench you have and try and bend it back. And if you cant bend it, get a persuasion tool and beat on it a bit.. But do it when the boat is off the trailer..

Prosise

Why does the boat need to be off the trailer if you don’t mind me asking?
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/22/21 04:51 AM

when beating and prying on things like that it is easy to glance off or slip and hit the boat.....
Posted By: Ranger 177

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/22/21 05:06 PM

Roadmaster in haltom city. They fixed mine after someone hit my trailer and left. Can’t tell ever been hit
Posted By: prosise

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/22/21 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hook'em79

Prosise

Too easy for a persuasion tool to accidentally miss it's mark, then you have another problem. We used a hydraulic jack on a trailer that had a similiar issue. But we heated up the metal prior to putting any stress on the metal. It is a whole lot easier to work on when your not limited by the boat.
Posted By: MCIPinkie

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/22/21 06:41 PM

Hammer and a 2 x 2, or 2 x 4 if it will fit. Wedge the board between the trailer and the bent piece. Beat on it until square. Cut another longer piece. Do the same.

Some one backed into my Skeeter trailer last weekend and basically did exactly the same damage. Half hour it was fixed. I have some experience at body work, so may take longer for less experience.

Nice if you can get the boat off for all the reasons above. I didn't. No problem.

You need to take out the plastic piece behind the cut outs first. Probably broken. Mine was. Epoxy works.

If you have small hydraulic jack, even easier. Might go rent one if you don't know how to work with wedged boards. I didn't have one that small. I would not heat. It's only 1/8" or so thick so easy to work cold.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/22/21 07:29 PM

I did the same thing, That metal is softer than you think, I just bought 3 sizes of dead blow hammers at harbor freight and took it to the closest lake to get the boat off and hammered away, it ended up looking not that bad. I did drill out the rivets and take the diamond plate first, hammered the diamond plat out separate. Crazy thing was it did not break the white poly slide the goes behind the brand name. Mine was actually worse than yours imagine you can hammer it out to where you don't even know it happened, might have to repaint though as paint will crack off when you re-shape. Bring you some wood blocks to hammer against.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/22/21 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hook'em79

Prosise

If your going to go the dead blow hammer route you definitely need the boat off the trailer to have enough room to hammer it out, I would not use a regular hammer like I said that ez loader metal is softer than you think

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/23/21 10:31 PM

Really appreciate all the advice, going to try and hammer it out and see what happens.
Posted By: stratos caster

Re: Trailer Repair Help - 05/24/21 12:47 AM

My trailer got hit and I used a crescent wrench and clamp it down on the lip , pulled it out then used a hammer and a block of wood to remove the kinks. Touched up the gator Hyde with some undercoating and now I can't tell which side was hit.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum