Texas Fishing Forum

McGee Creek Lake

Posted By: debtfree

McGee Creek Lake - 05/19/21 01:56 PM

Taking the grand boys (ages 3 and 10) camping next week. We'll be camping and fishing on McGee Creek Lake. Any hints for getting these guys on some fish? I've never fished it. Is McGee Creek better that Potapo Creek? Can't find a topo/fishing map to do some pre-planning. Any help would be appreciated . I'll post pictures if we get on 'em. Thanks
Posted By: Chris B

Re: McGee Creek Lake - 05/19/21 02:03 PM

I’ve only fished it a few times. Real pretty lake with good numbers. We did best with topwaters.
Posted By: bassmasterok01

Re: McGee Creek Lake - 05/19/21 02:22 PM

Potapo is the better of the two. Not sure where you are camping, there is a camp ground with ramp about 1/3 of the way up Potapo on the West side. The rip ramp dike near there can be excellent this time of year. Normally speaking this time of year there should a strong topwater bite, but every thing seems to be behind by several weeks. Its a beautiful lake and tons of fun to fish, keep your eyes open you are likely to see several bald eagles.

GOOD LUCK

Re: McGee Creek Lake - 05/21/21 02:22 PM

Bump
Posted By: mcb

Re: McGee Creek Lake - 05/21/21 06:37 PM

Great lake. We have a place about 15 min away from there. This time of year like others have mentioned the top water will be real good. There are some real good fish in the lake for sure. Mostly set up as a fishing lake so the traffic isn't real bad. You would think at any time you could see a bear walk out of the woods. Very scenic lake.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: McGee Creek Lake - 05/21/21 08:54 PM

Fished it once about this time of year. Did OK on Larew Rattlin Crawler
Posted By: RNF

Re: McGee Creek Lake - 05/22/21 01:20 AM

We fished a club tournament there last weekend. Most of the better stringers came from fishing Flukes.

You can get a good ideal of the lake on the web app at Navioncs.com.
Posted By: 361V

Re: McGee Creek Lake - 05/22/21 02:10 PM

4 year old video with a great guide up,there: https://youtu.be/mvTkz1hWRGc

Re: McGee Creek Lake - 05/24/21 02:13 PM

How much rain have you gotten. Will the lake be really muddy?
Posted By: fishr#1

Re: McGee Creek Lake - 05/24/21 02:26 PM

I did well last year at this same time on Watermen red flukes w. chartreuse fished slow in the shallows. The lake appears much different than our lakes in that are bluffs and bends. That lake seems to do well in high water and varies quite a bit normal as it is a couple of rivers. The most success we had was going up the east side until it looked like Lake Fork. Then it was on!
Posted By: gt2003

Re: McGee Creek Lake - 05/24/21 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
4 year old video with a great guide up,there: https://youtu.be/mvTkz1hWRGc

Fished with Chuck many moons ago. What's a day on the water cost with him nowadays? He was very friendly and informative when we went. He's still catching some big fish per his facebook page.
Posted By: Skeeterjoe

Re: McGee Creek Lake - 05/28/21 01:37 PM

I’ve done well along this stretch with a sexy shad square bill in the past

Attached picture 1DCBDDC8-974E-4280-AF03-DAF7B4F32C66.jpeg
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum