Texas Fishing Forum

Rayburn, how high will it go

Posted By: Javelin

Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/18/21 01:32 PM

Rayburn is still on the rise and we have more rain headed our way. Sunday it was at 170.8 and this morning I think the guage is broke It showed 174.8 at 7am and now it shows 179 WOW It also shows they are releasing water. https://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/samray/ If we get the amount of rain forcasted and if they are unable to release any water due to flooding at Dam B I am afraid we may see it start going over the spillway (176) very soon. ( I dont think that 179 is accurate or sure hope not.

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/18/21 01:53 PM

Gauge is now showing 171.49 which is much more believable
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/18/21 03:13 PM

looks like they will be releasing full flow at Dam B, they are warning downstream folks to start evacuating

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/18/21 03:27 PM

Tom Webb Manager over the control center said this morning there was indeed a issue with the gauge, but it has been fixed and level is around 171.5. Praying for all those in the area being hit by the floodwaters
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/18/21 06:27 PM

Probably 173-174 if I was to guess. Depends on rain. If it floods could go higher. 2019 it was higher
Posted By: SkeeterHawk

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/18/21 06:43 PM

I have an App on my phone that is called Lake Level. Has a c-r-a-p load of lakes for Texas on it which shows current lake levels. Except for some reason Sam Rayburn isn't updated????
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/18/21 09:21 PM

Didn't it get around 14' high in 19?
Posted By: Hulapoppin

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/18/21 10:11 PM

I hope everyone in the area will come thru this safely and without losing homes and personal belongings, with that said Big Sam needs a break from all the fishing pressure.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/18/21 11:54 PM

Texas Water Data says 171.57, 7.17 high.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/19/21 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by the skipper

It got just shy of 175' in 2019 which is right at 11.5' high.

bolt

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/19/21 12:33 AM

We have dodged most of the rain (upriver) of Big Sam the last couple days but the forecast still shows that we are in for a toad strangling amount. hammer
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/19/21 12:41 AM

Pile on the radar headed this way now if it holds together.

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/19/21 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Coolarrow
Pile on the radar headed this way now if it holds together.

Yeah it doesn't look good.

We got 1/4" the other morning when the Jasper area got 8"+! OMG

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/19/21 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
Originally Posted by the skipper

It got just shy of 175' in 2019 which is right at 11.5' high.

bolt

Yea. I couldn't remember, thanks. It may be rough to get on the lake but the fish will love being able to get away from all of us. Hopefully they ease it down all summer and don't dump it

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/19/21 12:29 PM

They'll have to dump it as soon as possible due to hurricane season. A tropical system on top of that water level would be catastrophic

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/19/21 12:47 PM

We got 2" in Lufkin and right at 2" here in Nacogdoches last night.

Not sure how much they got upstream in Alto etc. but there is a list of roads closed up that way and we have none here.

The Angelina River is very muddy this AM and it hasn't been the last few days.

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/19/21 01:05 PM

welll the longer it stays up less likely the grass will survive
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/19/21 01:37 PM

Hopefully it washes away all the brush piles of the bass farmers.......

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/19/21 04:36 PM

Probably kill the grass but in my opinion the only reason Rayburn continues to put out are these floods every few years. I think the fry have a better survival chance when we get these late spring rains. Since 2011 drought you can follow the floods each spring and see how good the lake has been. Most of those years the grass was very minimal
Posted By: Walls

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/19/21 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI

Okay, you got me- what is a "bass farmer"?

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/19/21 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Probably kill the grass but in my opinion the only reason Rayburn continues to put out are these floods every few years. I think the fry have a better survival chance when we get these late spring rains. Since 2011 drought you can follow the floods each spring and see how good the lake has been. Most of those years the grass was very minimal

The floods definitely help. It does suck the grass will take a beating. Last time it stayed this high when it came down the grass was everywhere though so hopefully that happens again
Posted By: Mudman63

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/19/21 07:44 PM

Huh, what? There is grass on Rayburn? hammer
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/19/21 08:47 PM

I'm headed up Friday after work to check my place at Rayburn, if the rain lets up. I think we've had 6-7 inches in the area of Rayburn Country from what my buddy told me but I could not confirm. He said 7 inches in Jasper, maybe more by now.

I think Rayburn is about 7 and half feet high if I looked at the lake level site correctly.

I think Choke was still minus 20. Ya might say East Texas Gets a lot of Rain comparied to South Texas

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/19/21 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
I'm headed up Friday after work to check my place at Rayburn, if the rain lets up. I think we've had 6-7 inches in the area of Rayburn Country from what my buddy told me but I could not confirm. He said 7 inches in Jasper, maybe more by now.

I think Rayburn is about 7 and half feet high if I looked at the lake level site correctly.

I think Choke was still minus 20. Ya might say East Texas Gets a lot of Rain comparied to South Texas

Some places around Jasper had 8"+ the other day.

There was some last night that moved through but haven't heard how much? confused 3

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/20/21 12:33 AM

Well after watching the weather channel a while ago. Looks like Rayburn will keep rising if they are right.

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/20/21 02:02 PM

I bet my grass will be two feet high in my yard by the time it drys out enough to mow!!!!

Rayburn is fun to fish when the water gets high, you get to fish in peoples back yards!!!

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/20/21 03:38 PM

I bet my grass will be two feet high in my yard by the time it drys out enough to mow!!!!

Rayburn is fun to fish when the water gets high, you get to fish in peoples back yards!!!

I agree, I love it when it's high. Sometimes it gets tougher to get to the fish but it's always good for the lake. Just be careful right now. LOTS of dead trees that will be floating and falling all over the lake. Especially if we get some wind .

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/20/21 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by WALLS

Someone who Farms Bass. welcome

banana
Posted By: Walls

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/20/21 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
Originally Posted by WALLS

Someone who Farms Bass. welcome

banana

Thank you for clearing that up for me. confused 3
Posted By: Igofish2

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/20/21 11:33 PM

Yes it's fun but knocks the HELL out of the grass, that has started to come back since the last big rise in 2019.
Posted By: ETxRT

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/21/21 10:07 AM

+7.94ft and counting as of now

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/21/21 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ETxRT
+7.94ft and counting as of now

Is this the lake level or how high my grass will be in my front yard of my house in Rayburn Country!!!

My guess both are about the same!!

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/21/21 01:32 PM

I'd rather have the grass then the high water.

Still raining on the lake today.

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/21/21 01:59 PM

8.05 and rising. Raining as I type this in sitting on the porch. I dumped 2.5” out of my rain gauge that fell since Monday morning till yesterday afternoon when I got home. I know other areas close by got way more! I don’t really care about the grass. Only grass I fish is the hay grass along the bank. I just hate when several ramps are closed and it piles people up on just a couple ramps. Oh well as history shows if you look at the lake levels, it will be low in a few months. Every time it gets high, they drop it till it’s 4 or 5’ low after.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/21/21 03:08 PM

If it was not interesting before, it sure is getting that way now. 9 am Natl Weather Service announces a 40% chance of tropical development in SW Gulf. Satellite images already showing a pretty tight rotation around the center. Keep your eyes on this one because they may have to start releasing water quicker than they wanted to.

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/21/21 04:10 PM

It has been raining steady here in Nacogdoches since about 9:30 but I can't see the rain gauge from here. peep

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/21/21 04:18 PM

Also I think I remember at around 173 the lower neches river authority takes control or has input on releases. Seems like I remember that last time.
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Rayburn, how high will it go - 05/21/21 04:58 PM

thats what i have to go do monday on my day off as well. May need a dang brush hog
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum