Texas Fishing Forum

What’s your thoughts on this?

Posted By: Dogfish_Jones

What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 02:58 AM

Do you think it’s good or fair for the Elite guys to fish the Opens?
My first thought is it’s fine, and gives name recognition to the event. Plus it gives them guys a chance to win some money.
My second thought is they should not be allowed to fish them. One reason is they are hindering a Open angler a chance to score more points in hopes to gain an invitation to the Elite Series. Secondly, they are taking away from them guys who I can pretty much think, they need the money.
Like this weeks Northern Open, Brandon Palaniuk who is an Elite guy wins it and an Open angler, Nicholas Bodsford losses out of $25,000 for coming in second.
What do you all think about this?
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 03:05 AM

BASS is in it for the entry fee, the more the merrier. Some guys sign up because they can fish against a pro also.

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 03:08 AM

The other big key is if a person wins an Open Tournament and fishies all their regional tournaments, that person gets invited to fish the next Bassmasters Classic.
Many of the Elites will not fish all those tournaments. I’m sure any Open anglers dream is to fish a Bassmasters Classic.
Posted By: TxSwimbaiter

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones
The other big key is if a person wins an Open Tournament and fishies all their regional tournaments, that person gets invited to fish the next Bassmasters Classic.
Many of the Elites will not fish all those tournaments. I’m sure any Open anglers dream is to fish a Bassmasters Classic.

I've fished opens for one reason...instant gratification....guess I lacked commitment.
If you ask some pros one of the reasons why they fish opens is because they want more time on a particular lake for a bigger event at some point in time.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 03:35 AM

They are OPEN, that's kind of the point

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 03:39 AM

But to get to the Elite Series, you have to go through the Opens to qualify. I understand those that just love the competition and the chance to fish on a bigger stage. Some of those anglers are attempting to make a living or career out of fishing.
I do not have a closed mind either way....or as we say in the south, “I don’t have a dog in the hunt” here. I saw this happening years ago in NASCAR when the Cup guys were filling up those slots in the Busch series before it changed names.
NASCAR did something about that because it was having a financial crunch on those lower tier teams that needed that money to survive.

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by WAWI

Very true, that’s the side I can say it isn’t bad to have any Elite anglers there.
Maybe BASS isn’t worried about the Open regular but just saying anybody or anyone who is a BASS member can fish them......which they can if they so choose.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 03:46 AM

I agree with you Dogfish, I feel as if the pros should stick with pro events. It should be one of those “unwritten rules”. But on the flip side, it does show how good BP is right now.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 03:48 AM

But is it "fair" for said "pro" to take advantage of those poor open anglers? We have to be all inclusive and be 100% fair for all. No single winners, we are all winners.
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 04:14 AM

I think its good, kinda like nascar, jr and others racing in the busch series, if you cant beat them in the lower series you wont beat them when you jump to the big leagues.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

But is it "fair" for said "pro" to take advantage of those poor open anglers? We have to be all inclusive and be 100% fair for all. No single winners, we are all winners.

Now you're getting it... See, you can train an old dog. roflmao
Posted By: Jev

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 05:19 AM

I think it's [censored] personally, and at the same time it shows that the "pros" are not as good as the hype when a slew of weekend anglers can and will beat most of them with a fraction of the time to spend on the water, so it really should be an embarrassing day for the "pros" to say they won an open when they get paid to fish and are competing against working class fishermen who get very limited time on the water
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jev
I think it's [censored] personally, and at the same time it shows that the "pros" are not as good as the hype when a slew of weekend anglers can and will beat most of them with a fraction of the time to spend on the water, so it really should be an embarrassing day for the "pros" to say they won an open when they get paid to fish and are competing against working class fishermen who get very limited time on the water

roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: Dubee

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 10:24 AM

They should absolutely be allowed to fish the opens. I've never understood not wanting certain people to not fish certain tournaments. I also think pro's and guides should be allowed to fish local trails and opens
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 10:53 AM

If you can't beat the Elites in the Opens then you probably will.not beat the Elites in the Elites.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 11:51 AM

If you think you can hang with the Elite guys...Opens are where you start hangin! Just sayin.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 11:55 AM

Valid arguments on each side, only thing that makes the different to me. If theses guys want to be called “professional athletes” then they have to stick in their own league. You don’t see Major League Baseball/basketball/football/hockey players dropping down to the minors and stomping the snot out of them. But I feel the same way about the BPT guys fishing MLF, if the Opens & FLW are supposed to be considered minor league, then they should be allowed to see whom is the best in their league. Then go up to the majors and get stomped into a Mud hole.

But, an Open is an Open, so I also agree with the flip side answers.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 12:51 PM

Don't they "fix" this by giving the 2nd place finisher a ticket to the classic if the winner is an elite angler that double qualified?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fishinfellow

Don't they "fix" this by giving the 2nd place finisher a ticket to the classic if the winner is an elite angler that double qualified?

I believe so. Could be wrong though.
Posted By: RKT

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 01:04 PM

If your scared to fish against others because they are better than you - you need to quit fishing tournaments.

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 01:41 PM

I'm on the fence as to a yes or no.
As noted above, if I were an Open angler and won a tournament and fished against some Elite guys then that win would mean more to me. Of course if I were in the the top 5 or so and lost out to Elite guys in front of me, then I would also see my bank account not having a larger deposit to keep me going to the next tournament.
Most Open guys live tournament to tournament and I really think its might be worse than that. They have mortgaged their entire wealth to attempt to chase their dream.
If the Elite are truly the "elite" then I would say they should not fish against those that are not elite but against their equal competitor.
An analogy that was written is pretty good in baseball, you have the A, AA, AAA and even rookie leagues for them guys to perfect their talent to reach the majors or in this case the Elite Series.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 02:19 PM

I used to be an asst director (big title, tiny club) for a bass club in Okieland, we had 3 divisions in the state.

used to fish murray and arbuckle at least once a yr. as our div. was out of Okie city.

so. had a tournament on murray and who shows up but jeff kriet, total of about 30 boats and no one complained. the day before kriet had caught a new lake record of over 12# and we all knew it from the local news coverage, not a problem letting him fish with us.

he finished 4th I think and no other local stick was above him, top 3 came from Okie city area.

point is, just because you are a big name fisherman and fish elite or mlf etc. does not mean you are gonna win smaller contests but it does mean the other guys get to learn some new stuff and maybe get to beat a pro.

by the way, kriet is a stand up guy, stuck around and hung with some of us for an hr. or more talking fishing.
Posted By: GMTK

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 02:26 PM

Elite guys also fish the opens for a chance to get to the classic. Personally, would rather they didn't fish the opens but I get wanting to make the classic. Also, I can see a situation where the elite pro might be on the bubble to stay in the elite's and if they qualify via the opens, they keep their elite status. (and I don't think the elite's are going to start cutting guys until AFTER then 2022 season)
Posted By: GMTK

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 02:27 PM

And the same argument could be made for pros that fish the Costa series (or whatever it's called now). I saw a bunch of big names fish Amsitad a few years ago when Hanselman won it.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 02:49 PM

back in late 80's FLW/Redman decided to compete with BASS and their first big tournament was on lake Eufaula....they called it a Golden Blend tourny and it attracted fishermen from all over the country including many of the big name pros....I was real hesitant about entering because the entry fee was by far larger than anything I'd ever paid plus I wasn't sure if I could compete at that level.....I mustered up the courage and the money to fish it....and.... I finished 5th...won almost $3,000. and beat all the top professional fishermen.....it was one of my proudest achievements but wouldn't have meant near as much if they had restricted entries....

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by GMTK
Elite guys also fish the opens for a chance to get to the classic. Personally, would rather they didn't fish the opens but I get wanting to make the classic. Also, I can see a situation where the elite pro might be on the bubble to stay in the elite's and if they qualify via the opens, they keep their elite status. (and I don't think the elite's are going to start cutting guys until AFTER then 2022 season)

I think that the angler has to fish all the tournaments in that division to quality for the Classic if they win an Open tournament that year. I might be wrong but it use to be that way.
This was to keep a one and gone guy from fishing the Classic. I'm not sure if those Elite guys do fish every tournament in that division, just the ones that they can appear in with their schedule.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by David Burton
Originally Posted by Douglas J

Now you're getting it... See, you can train an old dog. roflmao

the best part of the big pros competing and winning at the open level is the people they beat crying about it
Posted By: the skipper

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 04:53 PM

I'm along the lines that if your worried about who's fishing then your already beat. To me a pro being there would only make it that much better if I did well. They are just fishermen to and if you look at any standings from any series you will see that they don't always figure it out.
Posted By: SkeeterGuy1

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 05:13 PM

I think I'd take a lot more pride beating an open field with elites also in the field, than an open without them.
To each their own though! I'll stick with the $50 weekend tournaments and type on this keyboard like I could walk out there and do that in an open. (Disclaimer...I 100% could not do that.)

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by SkeeterGuy1
I think I'd take a lot more pride beating an open field with elites also in the field, than an open without them.
To each their own though! I'll stick with the $50 weekend tournaments and type on this keyboard like I could walk out there and do that in an open. (Disclaimer...I 100% could not do that.)

Oh, so would I, I would like to beat the Elite guys too in an Open tournament. But....I do not fish them nor do I have any intentions of ever being an professional angler, that's way behind me these days.
I'm just thinking outside the box here and "thinking" about the Elite pros going down to the Open Series and taking spots and wins from guys trying to become an Elite Series angler. Every point counts when they tally them up to see who advances to the next level. The Elite guys, well they have already achieved that goal.
Me....I give away too much money every month in the Tournaments I get into....lol!
Posted By: the skipper

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by SkeeterGuy1

Oh, so would I, I would like to beat the Elite guys too in an Open tournament. But....I do not fish them nor do I have any intentions of ever being an professional angler, that's way behind me these days.
I'm just thinking outside the box here and "thinking" about the Elite pros going down to the Open Series and taking spots and wins from guys trying to become an Elite Series angler. Every point counts when they tally them up to see who advances to the next level. The Elite guys, well they have already achieved that goal.
Me....I give away too much money every month in the Tournaments I get into....lol!

All you have to do is beat the next guy behind you in points. The pro doesn't factor into the points equation. Its not like the pro goes to the open because it's easy pickings, they are hard to win. When they blast off the first morning every person has the same opportunity to win. Well, maybe I should say on the first day of practice, by blast off some have already counted themselves out. What I find interesting after following a few guys as they try to qualify is the strategy. It seems like some only search for the 12lb limit and the points and others go to win. Personally, I don't think the strategy of a small limit will get you there. That's not what its about. If I ever did it I may go down in flames but it would be trying to find that special pattern every single day that wins every single day. I'm sure thats what some do and just end up with a 12lb limit but I would so much rather I know I gave it a shot and fell short rather than never tried to begin with. That's me though, and I'm in no position to qualify for anything lol
Posted By: SC-001

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 07:23 PM

Opens are considered a pro level event of course its good and fair.
Posted By: june-bug

Re: What’s your thoughts on this? - 05/17/21 09:05 PM

I don't think the Elite guy's win enough of them to make a difference. There's Elite anglers in every open tournament but really and truly they seldom come out on top. All fair and square in my book. Then some of these winners qualify for the Elites where they either do very well or not so much.
© 2021 Texas Fishing Forum