Texas Fishing Forum

Duckett Jacob Wheeler Rods

Posted By: cnoland2

Duckett Jacob Wheeler Rods - 05/13/21 04:09 PM

What are your opinions on these? Been thinking about buying a couple
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Duckett Jacob Wheeler Rods - 05/13/21 05:06 PM

I've heard they are decent rods....no real world experience with them though, sorry
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Duckett Jacob Wheeler Rods - 05/13/21 05:21 PM

Trying my hardest not to bad mouth duckett LOL...im still salty I lost a decent size one at the boat with one. Easier to blame the rod than myself probably roflmao

They sell them at Academy, and they have a pretty fair return policy. Go get a feel in store if you can, buy one if it passes the store test....then go fish it. Havent done it much, but ive bought, used and returned a couple things I wasnt happy with there no problem...with a rod being one of them. Hopefully you got an academy within driving distance from you
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: Duckett Jacob Wheeler Rods - 05/13/21 05:53 PM

Haven't tried the newer ones, but the slightly older white Duckett rods had issues with eyes breaking. I had one and my brother had several that had issues. The eyes just seemed really brittle and would unexpectedly fall apart.
Posted By: SwimbaitRanger

Re: Duckett Jacob Wheeler Rods - 05/14/21 12:07 AM

Why doesn’t Duckett print line and lure rating on their rods? I’ve always wondered that
Posted By: Poodle

Re: Duckett Jacob Wheeler Rods - 05/14/21 02:05 AM

Have 4 of them 3 casting 1 spinning. I like them and have no complaints and yes I would buy them again. Had to replace my spinning rod cause they don't hold up worth a darn when you slam them in a storm door. I always wait till I get a $20 off coupon from Academy to purchase one.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Duckett Jacob Wheeler Rods - 05/14/21 02:54 PM

I use all Duckett's and just got a couple of the Wheelers. I think they are good for anything where you have your rod tip pointed downward, especially chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, etc. They seem a little heavier than my other Duckett's when I have it in more of a vertical position like fishing a texas rig, weightless senko, etc.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Duckett Jacob Wheeler Rods - 05/14/21 03:12 PM

I have a JW Spinning rod. I got it for Christmas a couple of years ago and it broke on me mid cast this past fall. I was fishing a 3/8oz jig with a plastic trailer and it just snapped. It was probably my doing some how, but really surprised me. It was inside the one year warranty when it broke, so I took it back to Academy and they told me I had to return it to Duckett for replacement, which I did. Duckett replaced it for $25, which I thought was a good deal.
Fishing wise, it fishes great. Good sensitivity, not too heavy. I have a Pflueger President 25 series on it and its pretty balanced where I like it.
I'm not a fan of Duckett at all, but I think that JW had a big hand in designing these rods and I respect him a lot.

BD
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Duckett Jacob Wheeler Rods - 05/14/21 07:16 PM

Decent rod, sensitivity is about on par with the price-point. Eyes seem a little more stable than the micro Ghost series, and a bit heavier.
Posted By: Ryan Somerville

Re: Duckett Jacob Wheeler Rods - 05/15/21 08:39 PM

The JW series is a excellent rod and very good at the price point! Been using them for a few months now and no complaints at all.
Posted By: ldmtsu

Re: Duckett Jacob Wheeler Rods - 05/15/21 09:36 PM

I love the all purpose medium heavy rod for spinnerbaits/chatterbaits. I can’t speak for other actions as I have only bought the MH but I really like it thus far.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum