Texas Fishing Forum

Are the best of the bass fishing times over?

Posted By: Douglas J

Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 03:40 PM

Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 03:55 PM

Yes... Dan
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 03:57 PM

Prolly one of the best songs ever written!

My answer is YES!
Posted By: buda13

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 04:06 PM

Classic song... but no, the best fishing times are not over. If you believe they are your probably already beat before you ever pull up to the ramp.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 04:10 PM

Negative, except for Lake Austin.

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by buda13
Classic song... but no, the best fishing times are not over. If you believe they are your probably already beat before you ever pull up to the ramp.

I am good, think the last 3 tournaments I have fished have been 2 firsts and a second thumb
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 04:15 PM

If you believe they are your probably already beat before you ever pull up to the ramp.

Lol. I don't fall in that category at all! Im actually the exact opposite.

But lakes are getting way over saturated with tournaments these days. And Im a tournament guy saying that. But damn, there's normally 2 a weekend on Fork now days. That along with the demands for water because of the growth around DFW. Puts a high stress on lakes. With that being said, we still have some of the best fisheries anywhere. But none of them are like they used to be.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 04:19 PM

No. "Best" is subjective and every generation feels like the "good times" are in their past.
Posted By: Used2fish

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 04:22 PM

No
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 04:33 PM

Yep, internet kills lakes along with all those non tourny guys eating everything like it's their last meal and every high school kid sticking 5 fish in well for the purpose of a glamour shot with their tackle warehouse jersey....
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 04:47 PM

In the United States absolutely.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 04:49 PM

Nah, fish during the week, it's as nice as it always was.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 04:56 PM

As someone old enough to have experienced the glory days of Sam Rayburn, Toledo Bend and Guerrero, I'd say we'll never see the likes of those days again.

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cmack
As someone old enough to have experienced the glory days of Sam Rayburn, Toledo Bend and Guerrero, I'd say we'll never see the likes of those days again.

This is my thinking. When I hear "Fork is on fire" and here somebody caught 20 fish with a 8-9 pound big bass fishing all day. Heck that was the first 2 hours back in the day LOL. Bass fishing sure has changed over the past 40 years, since I started targeting bass and not all for the worst. Lots of good improvements...
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 05:02 PM

Yep. Sport has grown too much.
Posted By: pchapin

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cmack

Old enough to remember it not being uncommon getting into schools of 3 - 4 pounders on top water and catching over 100 in a day. How long since that has happened on Toledo Bend?
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Barrett
In the United States absolutely.

My thinking also.

You can still catch 5 good ones but those might be the only bites you get all day. 10 bites is a decent day for me sadly.

It is what makes a Mexico trip worth it...
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 05:24 PM

been over....several years now....but I still go to just sit in my spots and catch what I catch....talk to dad, God, and seek peace...
Posted By: 1956Zebco

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 05:24 PM

With a few rule changes it could be like you guys remember. Catch a bass 2 pounds or under = point reduction. 2-3.5 pounds = 0 points.

Goal is to have everyone fishing for females (if you're going to win a tournament you have to fish for fish that will win). Takes out those targeting small males on the beds guarding eggs. A female caught and released with eggs can still spawn.

And for those naive enough to believe that isn't happening: search for "how to catch spawning bass" on google. You will find 57,600 videos on the subject (maybe more by now).

Of course, fishing for hatchery fish may be the only future. Really up to the young people.
Posted By: TimFish4Life

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 05:31 PM

I don’t think it’s over personally. If anything, I think the pressure will help glean some people that think a 5-10 fish day is too slow over to another sport. Don’t get me wrong, I want to catch a lot of fish too, but there’s something satisfying about grinding a day on the lake that still thrills me. (As long as the weather isn’t insane I don’t mind working at it all day).
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 05:46 PM

Yes. Everyone sell your boats! bolt
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 05:46 PM

Plus #1. thumb
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 05:57 PM

I will say for sure the sport has changed! The fish are more pressured and lots more people out there! I’ve seen up’s and downs in the fishing over all these years. About 50 years I can remember fishing Sam Rayburn, Livingston and every water hole I could find to fish in. It’s the lack of respect for your fellow man that I have the hardest time dealing with in these new times!! Used to it was one or two guys back in the day. Now it’s crazy.
Posted By: trackerman.

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 06:05 PM

Nah...just wait til only way to fish in a boat is if you got an electric outboard and they cost twice as much as the boat because of the cost of a battery to run it...lol
Then the only ones fishing in a boat will be millionaires, the rest of us will be bank fishers...again...tmho.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

I am good, think the last 3 tournaments I have fished have been 2 firsts and a second thumb

Damn man.. would hate to see what you can do when the fishing was still good. cheers
Posted By: Hulapoppin

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 06:29 PM

It depends on your definition of good times. First time I went to Fork I caught 33 fish over 3-1/2 pounds on the first day. Broke a couple big guns off due to equipment and ignorance. Didn’t need 14 rods on the deck with different offerings. Just throw a big spinner bait and catch em. It slowly went downhill from that day until it is what it is now. So for the guy’s that have been doing this for 40 plus years I would think we are all on the same page. The good times are definitely over. Also the fisherman back then were taught to fish by their elders and were taught manners and to respect where other people were fishing, it wasn’t near as bad for your blood pressure.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 06:32 PM

Fork is a mudhole, how come we gotta always talk about fork. It's a tourist trap
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 07:38 PM

I'm wondering how many of you fish on lakes that are better today than they were just 10 years ago. For me the answer is simple...ZERO. I'm one of those guys who could go back and talk about bass fishing 40 years ago, but I don't need to in order to answer the OP's question.
Posted By: TimFish4Life

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 08:01 PM

Sorry, I can’t comment on 40 years ago (before my time lol).
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 08:27 PM

35 years ago....
Fork, Toledo, Roberts - not better
GVine, Lew, Athens - better
IMO
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 08:28 PM

I can tell ya a couple of the main lakes I fish are a shell of their former self. And I'm talking self from 6-10years ago. Pressure and lack of grass has definitely hurt bad.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
Yep, internet kills lakes along with all those non tourny guys eating everything like it's their last meal and every high school kid sticking 5 fish in well for the purpose of a glamour shot with their tackle warehouse jersey....

I lol'd at this one. Would loved to have seen before edit.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 08:35 PM

No.....many lakes are fishing better than they ever have.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

The eternal optimist, wish I thought more that way about everything...

Squaw Creek and Bridgeport are a lot like the Fork area lakes were before the grass was killed. By that I mean the number of bites a person would get in a days fishing, the fish over in the Fork area lakes were of course bigger. When I need to boost my confidence, I go to Bridgeport!
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 10:06 PM

Pretty much.....

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bass Buster1

The eternal optimist, wish I thought more that way about everything...

Squaw Creek and Bridgeport are a lot like the Fork area lakes were before the grass was killed. By that I mean the number of bites a person would get in a days fishing, the fish over in the Fork area lakes were of course bigger. When I need to boost my confidence, I go to Bridgeport!

There are so many good lakes that are fishing well right now that you could not hit them all in a month. Granted not all have the mystique of a Fork, Rayburn or Falcon but they are a blast to fsih. Some killer small lakes that do not get a lot of pressure too.

As for a positive outlook on things I have just learned that it takes a lot of energy to be negative and its just not worth it to me. I am still breathing, got a great family, a job, a decent place to live and a boat that floats. Life ain't all that bad for me. cheers

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 10:21 PM

Mark do you think it's possible for a novice, not yourself, to go to Fork and catch 20+ fish, that are 2-6 pounds in a day? Shoot, 20 fish a day over 2 pounds is a stellar day for a good guide there now.
Because 15 years ago it was the norm. I think I can catch fish as well as the average novice fisherman and the fishing has gotten a lot tougher, IMO.

The crappie fishing (with a livescope) has gotten a lot easier, LOL

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 10:30 PM

Mark do you think it's possible for a novice, not yourself, to go to Fork and catch 20+ fish, that are 2-6 pounds in a day? Shoot, 20 fish a day over 2 pounds is a stellar day for a good guide there now.
Because 15 years ago it was the norm. I think I can catch fish as well as the average novice fisherman and the fishing has gotten a lot tougher, IMO.

The crappie fishing (with a livescope) has gotten a lot easier, LOL

You are putting too much faith in me. I do not always catch 20 fish a day out there.... roflmao........I struggle there at times.

I think in some ways though a lot of us struggle on certain lakes because we fail to change the way we fish. We throw the same baits in the same areas and sometimes get poor results. Take Bridgeport for example, I used to downsize out there, throw a shakyhead and smaller hardbaits. I was getting the numbers but not many big fish. About 10 years ago I just got tired of changing out setups between East Texas and here so I started throwing my full size baits and not fooling with changing line. I throw my Texas rigs on 20lb line out there. I was still catching numbers but I also feel like since then I see bigger fish.I have also seen since I have been back out here is areas that I used to catch a bunch on are now not so good. I have had to find new spots etc and keep after it. Really opened my eyes to keep an open mind and do things outside of the norm in some cases.
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 10:32 PM

It feels like to me it's a little bit of a viscous cycle that's been occurring for the past eight years that involves much more how to information on youtube etc PLUS much better electronics that are progressing rapidly that make it much easier to find what was hard to find hidey holes PLUS about two or three extra layers of tournament trails PLUS significant lure innovation with more and more realistic baits PLUS lots of folks with new work from home freedom that sneak in half days here and there. It's like a hamster wheel deal where anglers are getting better to try and stay up as the fish get more pressured, educated, and harder to catch.

I worry about the dad that wants to get into the sport and get the first used 17.5ft bass boat and start taking his 9 year old out on a public lake to try and catch fish in five years...I think by 2026, trying to enter the game as a newbie and catch four or five bass in a day say on Lewisville will be a [censored] ton harder than it was ten years ago when you could go and chunk a cheap spinnerbait or buzzbait or squarebill mindlessly around stickups or rocky banks and catch 10 in four hours easy. I still like the challenge of elevating my game on these educated fish and have the funds to buy the latest forward facing sonar or whatever to have solid days, but definitely worried about what happens next when a couple of more generations of fingerlings see their adult brethren not even flinch when a $15 lifelike swim bait comes careening by.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 10:51 PM

I started a post and expressed some opinions about "growing the sport" a year or so ago that ruffled some feathers. We can't manufacture 5 pound bass or fishable water like we can manufacture a baseball, and so if people are honest, it only makes sense that as the numbers of people going after green fish go up, the numbers of green fish for each person go down. We can manufacture boats, and electronics, and fishing tackle like we manufacture baseballs, but not the fish.
Posted By: Hulapoppin

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/11/21 11:09 PM

To quote an old man that I use to work with, when asked “How’s it going” he always replied “It’ll be like this for awhile and then it will get worse”! I would say that about sums up this discussion.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/12/21 01:29 AM

Agree completely.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/12/21 01:40 AM

not for me. there still are prize bass to be caught.

but soon I may have to do it out of a different kind of boat.
Posted By: Dogfish_Jones

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/12/21 04:09 AM

Here in Alabama lakes like Guntersville are far worse than it use to be. My home lake Logan Martin use to be a lake where you had a chance to hook at huge Coosa River Spotted bass, now a 3 pounder is great.
Lake Weiss was known to have some big bass, not anymore. Eufaula comes under the same heading as a lake that is worse than before.
Here it is the pressure put on these lakes. On any giving weekend after 11 am, you cannot fish outside of deep creeks without being punished by recreational boats. It’s a mass of pontoon, jet ski, ski boats and those dreaded Wake Boats that are packed on the water as far as you can see.
I’m not against saying those boats should not be on the lake... well Wake Boats are my exception!, it’s just here these lakes are being pounded every Friday through Sunday evening.
Bass Tournaments are about as bad as you can get in a 50+ boat tournament every day on Logan Martin from May to October. As many as 20 or more of these tournaments are being pushed out on Saturday to add to an already overcrowding of this lake. Logan Martin is a River and not very wide and by noon the banks are pretty much nothing but a mud hole from the banks being hammered by the waves.
I’ve pretty much adjusted my fishing time from sunrise to noon and that seems to be working out good.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/12/21 04:19 AM

Lakes in South Texas would be great, if we could get some fricking rain water into them! Amistad, Falcon and Choke need massive floods to put a dent in them and then there would be some great fishing.

But I don’t understand how slot lakes can’t be good? I don’t fish any, but someone explain how these lakes can’t always have a great population.
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/12/21 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by txmasterpo
been over....several years now....but I still go to just sit in my spots and catch what I catch....talk to dad, God, and seek peace...

If my dad was close by, this is exactly what it's about.
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/12/21 01:44 PM

1. great song
2. I always catch big fish when I go out so seems the same to me
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/12/21 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
Lakes in South Texas would be great, if we could get some fricking rain water into them! Amistad, Falcon and Choke need massive floods to put a dent in them and then there would be some great fishing.

But I don’t understand how slot lakes can’t be good? I don’t fish any, but someone explain how these lakes can’t always have a great population.

Living in south Texas is tough for a bass fisherman because there are few lakes that are within reasonable driving distance that aren't dried up not counting the coast.
The good part is the lakes are usually down for so long the new growth of trees and brush are so thick that when the rains do come we have like practically new lakes.
Posted By: danial S

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/12/21 03:27 PM

it's kinda sad to say this, but as one of the newer generation anglers, I definitely think that some of the best fishing is gone. almost every angler you see are carrying at least 6 rods, throwing their monofilament around and trashing shorelines and banks like nobody's business, and just chucking the living [censored] out of the smaller, non-10lb+ fish and calling it "Catch and release". I mean, fishing for me is a getaway almost, so one or two rods is really all I need. fishing shouldn't be such a complicated sport where you need the latest and greatest gear with 25$ lures just to get a slightly tighter wobble. you can get the job done, and do it well with some experience and some par gear. now I'm not saying using a barbie rod and reel to chase monster bass, but do we really need the 200$+ Shimano dc reels? sure, it's a nice luxury to have and sure it puts more fish on the boat at times, but in my opinion, there's just no fun in overpowering a fish just to say you caught it. second of all, you're trespassing on mother nature's land. treat it with respect. it's supplying you with peace and fun, so give it the respect it deserves. pick up not only after yourself but others as well and take care of the environment! bring a trash bag and pick up the trash along the shorelines. treat each fish you catch with respect! sure, they may not feel pain like we do, but they're still living things, and if you're gonna try and catch you might as well put the effort to respect the fish as well. learn to handle and release the fish properly. I think it's not so much the sport developing and gaining greater traction, but rather the direction it's going and the ill-advised practices people are starting to do more and more. if there's one person who doesn't care for the environment, there should be 10 who do. at this point, it's more like 10 people who don't care about the environment and 1 who does. sorry for the long ramble, just my two cents. 2cents
Posted By: Kemo Sabe

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/12/21 08:17 PM

YEP. TOO MANY ANGLERS, TOUNAMENTS AND SPACE AGE TECHNOLOGIES AND NOT ENOUGH WATER TO FISH. QUIT "GROWING" THE SPORT UNTIL WE START "GROWING" A BUNCH MORE LAKES. I DON'T SEE THAT HAPPENING. CHEW ON THAT ONE FOR AWHILE.

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/12/21 10:59 PM

Fishing will always be good if we do are part in keeping our great outdoors clean and not trashed up! thumb
Posted By: Klinger N Ok

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/12/21 11:57 PM

Fish are so much more educated and pressured in this region than when I was younger. Lakes are so much older and less productive too. Throw in how incredibly trashy our public waterways are in this area of the country. I still have some incredible days on the water occasionally, but it's because I'm just a better fisherman than a couple decades ago.
So to answer your question, in this region it might be. There is still great bass catching to be had, but you really need to go to areas of the country where bass isn't king. A trip to someplace like N. Michigan can be a real eye opener and somewhat addictive.
Hardly any trash anywhere around or in the water and the fish chew.
I still enjoy every moment on the water but it is not like it used to be.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/13/21 12:03 AM

#growthesport.....

I love fishing near a bunch of others...................”said.....NOBODY”! Keep up those FB look at me post, just don’t complain when 10 boats are in your hole!
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/13/21 12:15 AM

Still a lot of good times to be had fishing. Some need to quit focusing on what bothers them and just go fishing.

Not interested in growing the sport. About the right amount fishing these days.

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/13/21 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by WLBDallas
Originally Posted by txmasterpo

If my dad was close by, this is exactly what it's about.

My dad passed Christmas eve 2017....but he's never far away

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/15/21 10:38 PM

Decency or common sense is over too.....I get cut off every weekend....without fail....like they can't fathom being called a MF with zero manners
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/15/21 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI

Not just HS kids sticking 5 fish in the well see tons of pics where even guides are doing this for picture taking purposes later. They are basically relocating fish from one part of the lake to another. Just follow the simple rules of CPR - Catch, Photo, Release. I would never.never haul fish around in the livewell I plan to release.

The other we won’t agree is tournaments there are so many more on nearly every lake compared to when I started bass fishing in the 70’s. If you think that is not making a negative impact on lakes you are kidding yourself.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 05/16/21 04:28 PM

I don't want to work or "grind" while fishing. I get enough of that at the office. I'm not a professional fisherman. I do it for fun. Yes, I fish tournaments and I'm as competitive as anyone, but I'm not fishing for the mortgage or truck payment.

There are way too many people on too little water most of the time. Yesterday was an exception. We caught fish all day, most of them keepers, and no one was around us. That's probably why we caught so many.

Tournament pressure was already an issue. Add in everyone going to the lake during Covid (temporary problem) and high school fishing (longer term issue) and it becomes less enjoyable all the time.

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 06/02/21 10:31 PM

Went to Fork on Memorial Day, 2 boats at public ramp at day break. Only was encroached on by a guide in a small pocket. He literally saw us catch a fish and came to us and fished the opposite way. pure "pro" move

I rarely fish shallow all day, but we whacked on them on a frog and swim jig from 6:30-1 then went home. Only boat that got close to us was that "pro guide". It was a nice day

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 06/02/21 10:37 PM

Plus #1. thumb
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 06/02/21 11:28 PM

Yes they are, so go to the golf course instead. LOL
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 06/03/21 12:19 AM

Best times are subjective, I have a good time every time I go, so I'd say no.
Posted By: Dogfish_Jones

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 06/03/21 12:42 AM

Depends if you want to be more diverse in your fishing. What I’ve found I’d more enjoyment in trying different lures and techniques.
If you never change from your one or two technics then you may believe the best times are over. With so many boats and anglers now out there, those honey holes you have fished have been fished over time and time again and then you go there and find nothing.
Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 06/03/21 02:06 AM

YES THEY ARE GONE!!!!! Too dam many Vandam want to be's with no manners. The bigger the boat and fancier the bigger the PR$%^ running it......!!!!!!
Posted By: over the hill @PK

Re: Are the best of the bass fishing times over? - 06/03/21 04:44 PM

obviously the ones who think the good times in bass fishin are over were not around back when we had no Florida large mouth in our lakes and fished a lot of days with few bites and much smaller fish .I remember when catching 5 12 inch keepers on PK lake would win you a tournament . I won several club tournaments on PK with one fish weighing 2 #'s .The only thing that is so bad is all the fishermen on the lakes with covi-19 .It was something everyone could do to get out of the house and not get covi. wow did they show up in droves lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum