Texas Fishing Forum

I still like BASS over the mlf deal .

Posted By: slim 285

I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 03:43 AM

Some names fishing BASS that have not been around for years . But Jerry was right there is only one that can’t be replaced.
BASS has good anglers that are taking the place of the ones that left .
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 04:53 AM

cheers
cheers
cheers
cheers
cheers
cheers
cheers
cheers
cheers
cheers
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 10:00 AM

Yeah, me to... Dan cheers
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 10:14 AM

BASS for me too. Watch the MLF occasionally. Follow BASS.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 10:39 AM

Bass for me also but I don’t mind watching some of DC fishing, wheeler, or MDJ YouTube’s videos that are pretty legit.
Posted By: Dogfish_Jones

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 01:43 PM

I still like the 5 biggest fish format. I do not have any problems with the MLF format or the guys, just not my "cup of tea"
Posted By: SC-001

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 01:43 PM

BASS has the better live broadcast, but MLF has the best anglers. Elite field is watered down, stats don't lie the limits and weight average is down the last 3 years, this year is the worst its been since the Elite series started.
Posted By: irbf

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 01:46 PM

MLF all the way!
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 01:48 PM

Like them both,
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 01:53 PM

If you could have JM associates broadcasting MLF and they had the Classic it would be not contest. It does reminisce of when indycar split, CART had the better driver, teams and equipment but IRL had the Indy 500, there was a merger 12 years later but technically IRL won the war.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal Tom
Like them both,
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 02:02 PM

MLF can be exciting to watch when they're not on a dink lake like Travis but I still prefer BASS.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 02:04 PM

IMHO MLF has the best format for many reasons.....they don't have a mob of spectator boats affecting the outcome of the tourny and they have far greater TV exposure and income for their anglers....their TV shows with the live scoretracker showing guys trying to reach the target weight or make the cutline is far more entertaining than seeing 3-4 guys dump bags of fish on the scales....if MLF hadn't come along,pro fishermen would still be fishing for their own entry fees and only have 30-35 hours of TV coverage a year....
Posted By: NELA Bassguy

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by beartrap
IMHO MLF has the best format for many reasons.....they don't have a mob of spectator boats affecting the outcome of the tourny and they have far greater TV exposure and income for their anglers....their TV shows with the live scoretracker showing guys trying to reach the target weight or make the cutline is far more entertaining than seeing 3-4 guys dump bags of fish on the scales....if MLF hadn't come along,pro fishermen would still be fishing for their own entry fees and only have 30-35 hours of TV coverage a year....

Does MLF have anything like BASS Live online or FS1? I have watched 4hrs of coverage the last two days on FS1 and been watching the BASS Live online all morning. I think the competition has upped BASS's media game.

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by NELA Bassguy

Does MLF have anything like BASS Live online or FS1? I have watched 4hrs of coverage the last two days on FS1 and been watching the BASS Live online all morning. I think the competition has upped BASS's media game.

MLF simulcasts live for both their Pro tour and circuit on MOTV app and MLF online.
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 02:17 PM

Funny how weigh-ins weren't a problem for many many years, now some of y'all act like they are taboo. I am sorry, but there is nothing more exciting in bass fishing than watching the classic weigh in. MLF is a cool little weekend series, but it isn't professional fishing.

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by J.H.S.

Funny how weigh-ins weren't a problem for many many years, now some of y'all act like they are taboo. I am sorry, but there is nothing more exciting in bass fishing than watching the classic weigh in. MLF is a cool little weekend series, but it isn't professional fishing.

LOL you realize MLF has a 5 fish division with weigh ins too?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001
BASS has the better live broadcast, but MLF has the best anglers. Elite field is watered down, stats don't lie the limits and weight average is down the last 3 years, this year is the worst its been since the Elite series started.

Those stats don't take into account the condition of a lake year to year, weather, delayed/ rescheduled events, time of year etc. Hell the entire Elite season last year was almost all fall events. Throw in they are not hitting the exact lakes at same exact time of year. Even Ken Duke the bass fishing ultra stats geek says he would not put in a talent level decrease. Let's be honest too, not everyone that left was tearing it up on BASS and many are struggling in BPT.
Posted By: june-bug

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

Those stats don't take into account the condition of a lake year to year, weather, delayed/ rescheduled events, time of year etc. Hell the entire Elite season last year was almost all fall events. Throw in they are not hitti the ng exact lakes at exact same lakes at same exact time of year. Even Ken Duke the bass fishing ultra stats geek says he would not put in a talent level decrease. Let's be honest too, not everyone that left was tearing it up on bass and many are struggling in BPT.

100% agree. In my opinion the talent level is just as good as it has ever been. Just some fresh faces finally getting their shot. For some reason some folks view the anglers that left as super heroes. They were just damn good fisherman but so are the guy's that replaced them.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 02:38 PM

I don't think half the BPT could requalify for the Elite Series. And someone let beartrap know bpt pays higher entry fees than the Elites.
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 02:54 PM

LOL you realize MLF has a 5 fish division with weigh ins too?

Neat. They pale in comparison to the Elite events, and the redcrest is such an inferior championship.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
I don't think half the BPT could requalify for the Elite Series. And someone let beartrap know bpt pays higher entry fees than the Elites.

could you enlighten us on just what the entry fees are?....and.....did you notice that MLF pays all 80 places whereas BASS only pays about half the field....
p.s. I'm neutral on this,enjoy watching both tours and hope they succeed....
Posted By: Barrett

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 03:12 PM

BASS only for me. When its too confusing to even understand who is winning a tournament its not bass fishing to me. MLF has tried to shake things up but no comparison IMO
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones
I still like the 5 biggest fish format. I do not have any problems with the MLF format or the guys, just not my "cup of tea"
My thoughts exactly.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 03:26 PM

If you like bass fishing and if you have a desire to learn about the sport, the people, or the industry itself, you watch both. Maybe you have a preference with one over the other...that's ok, but it's not the end of the world if someone else likes the other format. The bottom line is that it's all bass fishing and I enjoy watching any kind of it, whether they are catching 30 fish an hour or fishing for 5 bites all day. The fact that MLF is a numbers game and BASS is a 5 fish game is a LESSON in bass fishing in itself and how one approaches their day on the water! I sit here and read this stuff sometimes and I just have to shake my head. I am convinced that bass fisherman in general, may be the whiniest group of people on the planet.

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 03:29 PM

Like them both,
Posted By: Bassmaster150

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 03:32 PM

I watch both of them, but can't help leaning towards MLF. I honestly like the format better and if some local clubs could figure out how to do what MLF does on a smaller scale, I would love to try it out. Catch the fish, weigh it, throw it back, and whoever has the most lbs at the end wins.....I don't know...I just like it.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 03:33 PM

could you enlighten us on just what the entry fees are?....and.....did you notice that MLF pays all 80 places whereas BASS only pays about half the field....

David Dudley said BPT Entry Fees are $5,700.

BASS does pay back down to 75th.
Posted By: Chis D

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 03:34 PM

Like them both. BASS is more a background show in the mornings while I am on the computer, etc. I tend to watch MLF more like an entertaining TV show, when on the bike/treadmill in the garage. I try to watch BASS the same way, but find it hard to stay as engaged. Both have their place, and I prefer either over basketball, football and (now) baseball -- I would like to see both do well. This said, I wish we could get rid of the animated childish antics of a few of the BASS guys (it's enough to make me change the channel); I don't really see that with the established guys on MLF.
Posted By: buda13

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 03:48 PM

I still really like them both, except when they get to the offshore fairy wand lakes. I don’t care what format it is, that’s some boring tv. The beauty of being a fan and not a pro, you never have to chose one over the other, just enjoy them both. cheers
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 04:31 PM

It's like when there was the WWF and WWE.
Posted By: Drodge

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 04:37 PM

I like fishing.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Like them both,

Posted By: Pat Cella

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 05:30 PM

I like them both.
I believe that both are filled with great anglers top to bottom, but it is interesting to me that when some of the guys decided to move back to BASS, it appeared that they had very little trouble qualifying. Palaniuk, Hackney, Christie and Swindle looked like they could qualify any time they wanted. That's pretty impressive to me since I know several really good anglers that have been trying to qualify for years.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pat Cella
I like them both.
I believe that both are filled with great anglers top to bottom, but it is interesting to me that when some of the guys decided to move back to BASS, it appeared that they had very little trouble qualifying. Palaniuk, Hackney, Christie and Swindle looked like they could qualify any time they wanted. That's pretty impressive to me since I know several really good anglers that have been trying to qualify for years.

I don't think Palaniuk or Swindle had to requalifywhen they returned.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 06:02 PM

Apples and oranges. Both fruits are good to me.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 06:40 PM

Fish landing and fish release penalties are dumb, and MLF encourages everyone to pot lick. Plus they got rid of the blonde with the bigguns.
Posted By: Pat Cella

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 07:29 PM

I like them both.

That's what I originally thought, but I was recently told that they did, but I haven't looked. I bet that you're right.
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by MagFluker

If you will notice, in MLF, 11th thru 40th paid back $10,000.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 07:38 PM

I like them both.

That's what I originally thought, but I was recently told that they did, but I haven't looked. I bet that you're right.

Palaniuk and Swindle were given Legend exemptions. Hackney and Christie requalified. Scott Martin and Justin Atkins qualified through the opens as well after leaving MLF/FLW along with some others.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/10/21 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by HARD WORKN HAROLD

so you pay more of an entry fee to pay out 35 less spots.... sounds rough
Posted By: slim 285

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 02:08 AM

MLF is a bunch of has beens . The up and coming stars are fishing with BASS
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Finesse Master/ Dropshot king
Originally Posted by HARD WORKN HAROLD

so you pay more of an entry fee to pay out 35 less spots.... sounds rough

MLF tourneys 41-80 paid each angler $3,741.

BASS 51-75 pays $2500 and 76-99 pays out ZERO dollars.

fish
Posted By: TDR2

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 02:35 AM

Maybe don’t get 76th through 99th.

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 02:35 AM

I watch both of them and enjoy both of them! cheers
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by slim 285
MLF and BASS is an old model . The up and coming stars are fishing on their own

Fixed it.

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by grandbassslayer

Fixed it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 03:31 AM

Enjoy both but you gotta love the drama and excitement the MLF brings.
Posted By: DustBass

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 11:22 AM

MLF & BASS are both fantastically ran events, I love watching them both, participating in their events, and have a huge passion for the sport. Hope they both keep growing and heck maybe even a 3rd premium platform arises.

I see pro bass fishing possibly taking off similar to golf in the 90’s, where purses start getting larger and it really starts to become a lucrative sport. MLF does seem to be the trail where the guys can make more money.
Posted By: Polly Gosh Lizard

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 12:48 PM

I like them both but cringe every time a BASS guy dumps his fish on the deck. Seems nets would be better than that. I don't know many of the young guys but admit that they sure can fish. Still prefer MLF but doesn't really matter what I think anyway. Just a old fart that loves fishing...both of them.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 01:04 PM

I like them both. I wasn't into MLF at first but it has grown on me. Lots of good anglers and their youtube channels add to it. In all honesty though, it seems like a hard life if you have a family unless you are winning all the time like Wheeler.
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 03:45 PM

+ 1
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 03:45 PM

How is it not professional fishing, pretty sure guys fish and get paid when doing well.

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 03:55 PM

After sleeping on it over night... I still like BASS more... Always best to get a good nights sleep before making a life altering decision... Dan thumb
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 04:37 PM

I prefer BASS by a wide margin. More the format than the anglers/production value/business strategies/etc. Kinda arena football vs traditional. They're both football, just different flavors.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 04:41 PM

Forgive me for I haven’t been watching in quite some time. Does MLF/BPT still have those awesome jungle bongo drums???
Posted By: scumfrogg

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 09:23 PM

I’ve been told by a reliable source that 30 or so anglers will be leaving MLF next year. Could be the beginning of the end.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 09:26 PM

MLF guy for me. I have always been a numbers guy myself and don't care to only catch a few fish all day.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by scumfrogg
I’ve been told by a reliable source that 30 or so anglers will be leaving MLF next year. Could be the beginning of the end.

Are they retiring?

BASS doesn't have room for 30 of them.
Posted By: irbf

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 10:42 PM

I love internet rumors that always seem to support your beliefs.

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by sprigsss

Are they retiring?

BASS doesn't have room for 30 of them.

There will be 30 more great anglers ready to take their place...if it is true! cheers
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/11/21 11:42 PM

Billy down at the salvage yard told me the same thing.

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/12/21 02:08 AM

Billy down at the salvage yard told me the same thing.

If he posted it on Facebook then it has to be true! flehan

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/12/21 11:00 AM

I've slept on it a second night and I'm convinced that BASS is the one for me... Dan bannana2

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/12/21 12:23 PM

Fixed it.

Youtubers?? roflmao youtubers are such wankers
Posted By: qpm05a

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/12/21 02:06 PM

I watch them both. Prefer watching BASS due to the coverage. More emphasis on the how and why. MLF just seems to be hooksets and drama. I watch to learn how to catch more fish for the most part. Think thats why I prefer BASS.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/12/21 08:30 PM

I am a fan of a lot of the MLF anglers but overall prefer BASS , it'd be cool to see Elite open up to 150 anglers (and payout more) and some of the names in MLF go back.
Posted By: buda13

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/12/21 08:44 PM

Am I the only one that mentally says MILF to myself every time I see the MLF acronym? roflmao
Posted By: 572Fitter

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/12/21 09:36 PM

I like them both...but that Zaldangerous guy kills it for me.Nothing about him is dangerous .
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/12/21 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by buda13
Am I the only one that mentally says MILF to myself every time I see the MLF acronym? roflmao

oh heck no, we all do that I am sure.

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/13/21 12:21 AM

After a hard day on the water and few beers this evening I'm still a BASS guy... Dan cheers
Posted By: Darin S.

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/13/21 03:41 AM

Milf over both!

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/13/21 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by 572Fitter
I like them both...but that Zaldangerous guy kills it for me.Nothing about him is dangerous .

roflmao train wreck lately, their other poster boy that stayed Feider seems to be the real deal though
Posted By: Neal G

Re: I still like BASS over the mlf deal . - 05/13/21 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dan21XRS
After a hard day on the water and few beers this evening I'm still a BASS guy... Dan cheers

roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum