Texas Fishing Forum

High school tournament on Richland Chambers

Posted By: slim 285

High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/05/21 11:53 PM

Is there a tournament on Richland Chambers this Saturday?
Posted By: Ken Starling

Re: High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/06/21 12:26 AM

Not us.. Shows to be a Couples Tournament CAST is there
Posted By: bladerunner

Re: High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/06/21 12:35 AM

Yes CTHSTT Championship is Saturday on RC.

Re: High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/06/21 12:42 AM

Well scratch that, he postponed it today due to "rising water" and potential high winds. GEEZ.....

Re: High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/06/21 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by bladerunner
Well scratch that, he postponed it today due to "rising water" and potential high winds. GEEZ.....

Thanks bladerunner.
Posted By: buda13

Re: High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/06/21 11:45 AM

Sustained winds of 20-30 with gusts on Chambers is BRUTAL. I can recall a media tournament years ago in similar winds where boats were coming back in with no trolling motor, windshields popped off, and one fella that speared a wave and lost all his rod and reels off the front deck. Good call by the organization to postpone this one.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/06/21 02:03 PM

I hear people criticize when tournaments (esp HS) get cancelled due to weather or unsafe conditions and just shake my head...

It's NEVER what any director wants to do.
It causes a huge problem to reschedule.
Everyone is going to complain and have their "I could have fished" argument.
Sometimes, the weather changes and it turns out to be a beautiful day. Sometimes it does not. We all wonder if the weather service just throws a dart at the board with their forecast...…
Directors do the absolute best they can with the information they have at hand. If someone thinks they can do a better job - they are free to volunteer to help with the existing program or start their own.
Posted By: KenTx1962

Re: High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/06/21 02:28 PM

Especially hard call to cancel early but saves folks from the drive.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/06/21 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

I hear people criticize when tournaments (esp HS) get cancelled due to weather or unsafe conditions and just shake my head...

Sometimes, the weather changes and it turns out to be a beautiful day. Sometimes it does not. We all wonder if the weather service just throws a dart at the board with their forecast...…
Directors do the absolute best they can with the information they have at hand. If someone thinks they can do a better job - they are free to volunteer to help with the existing program or start their own.

Man I hear ya brother. It's one thing to cancel a regular tourney, but when you cancel a HS tourney, every Mom, Dad, Aunt, Uncle, and Cousin wants answers as to Why??? I have been on the decision making end of that and it's never easy. It's not like you can just "Re-Schedule" either when your running the fields we are running. It's always better to err on the side of caution, stick to your guns and deal with the backlash rather than the alternative of someone getting hurt.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/06/21 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by GeoFisher
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

Man I hear ya brother. It's one thing to cancel a regular tourney, but when you cancel a HS tourney, every Mom, Dad, Aunt, Uncle, and Cousin wants answers as to Why??? I have been on the decision making end of that and it's never easy. It's not like you can just "Re-Schedule" either when your running the fields we are running. It's always better to err on the side of caution, stick to your guns and deal with the backlash rather than the alternative of someone getting hurt.

Agree with ya Geo- if you let the tourney "happen" and some dad decides to launch with faulty equipment near a dam and 3 people get killed then what?!?! I love having high school fishing (and sure wish we did when I was that age!) but heck missing 1 tourney won't harm a single thing for ANY of the 13-18 yr olds involved's lives.

Re: High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/06/21 06:44 PM

i understand as well. while i appreciate those who volunteer to be boat capt., there are many who need more time behind the wheel before stepping up to do the job and this takes the decision out of their hands which is smart. while i understand the wind, i dont think "rising water" was worthy of being a reason with no rain in the forecast and the lake having been at pool level for the past month. the biggest beef i have is it being postponed by a week, give people time to re-arrange schedules and make plans. it's the end of school and many graduation, prom and uil sports tournaments going on. just my opinion.
Posted By: Tim Haugh

Re: High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/06/21 09:00 PM

i understand as well. while i appreciate those who volunteer to be boat capt., there are many who need more time behind the wheel before stepping up to do the job and this takes the decision out of their hands which is smart. while i understand the wind, i dont think "rising water" was worthy of being a reason with no rain in the forecast and the lake having been at pool level for the past month. the biggest beef i have is it being postponed by a week, give people time to re-arrange schedules and make plans. it's the end of school and many graduation, prom and uil sports tournaments going on. just my opinion.

It’s not a high school tournament that was postponed. It was a couples tournament. Our high school state championship is next weekend on Texoma.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/06/21 09:09 PM

Oh boy here we go biker
Posted By: Tim Haugh

Re: High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/06/21 11:17 PM

My bad. I was told it was a couples tournament that was postponed. Apparently there in fact was a high school tournament on RC that was postponed. Not one of ours so I guess I was out of the loop.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/07/21 12:09 AM

rolleyes

Re: High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/07/21 02:17 AM

Boy this opened a can of worms . Just asked if there was a high school tournament. Nothing else ..
I got a starting spot and did not want to have to get on the water two hours before daylight to get it .
Posted By: Gilbert M.

Re: High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/07/21 02:21 AM

There was a HS championship tournament CTHSTT and it’s postponed until 16 May. Fact! 😂
Posted By: lunker777

Re: High school tournament on Richland Chambers - 05/07/21 05:42 PM

Been a TD for about 13 yrs now with CAST, trust me when I say we hate to cancel a tourney bc of the scheduling hassle. That said though, can’t or would I ever place fishing over someone’s safety. Fishing is suppose to be fun & competitive, all in one. That’s why we all love the sport
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum