Texas Fishing Forum

Amistad fishermen

Posted By: gar1970

Amistad fishermen - 05/03/21 03:24 PM

To all the fishermen who fish Amistad. What percentage of smallmouth vs largemouth do you catch on any given fishing trip? Are you catching them accidentally while fishing for largemouth Or do you target them specifically?
Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Amistad fishermen - 05/03/21 03:59 PM

I fished that lake 2 or 3 weeks a year every year for about 6 years and never caught a smallmouth. My buddy caught one once while fishing for smallmouth. I know they are a little more prevalent up the Devils River but I wouldn't consider Amistad a smallmouth fishery.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Amistad fishermen - 05/03/21 05:20 PM

I would say we catch one for every ten or fifteen bass.
Posted By: Overworked2020

Re: Amistad fishermen - 05/03/21 05:28 PM

We went down Friday and Saturday of last week. 2 days, 4 guys and never caught a single small mouth
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Amistad fishermen - 05/03/21 05:49 PM

My buddy only fishes up the Rio, around Box & up. He catches quite a few SM, couple years back, he was catching more smallmouth than largemouth.
Posted By: STX_bassin

Re: Amistad fishermen - 05/03/21 06:18 PM

I caught a couple 2 weekends ago up in the Devils River by rough canyon. Both of them were under a pound.
Posted By: GMTK

Re: Amistad fishermen - 05/03/21 06:23 PM

Last few summers I could catch one about every other trip while fishing points on the main lake, usually 15'-30' on a rage craw. And, with pics to prove it, I caught a smallie off a bed in 2017 up in San Pedro.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Amistad fishermen - 05/03/21 08:20 PM

We had our club tournament there in early April. I caught 8 or 10 SM throughout Saturday morning on poppers and boated 2 LM. Nothing Sunday morning, it was cold and windy so we headed to the house for a cocktail.

Re: Amistad fishermen - 05/04/21 02:59 AM

Thanks guys! I appreciate everyone's replies cheers

GMTK: I would like to see your pic of that smallmouth you caught off that bed thumb
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Amistad fishermen - 05/04/21 01:27 PM

Typically when fishing the main lake we might catch 1 smallmouth for every 10-20 largemouth.

However, in the fall you can fish points in the devils river with a chartreuse squarebill and completely flip that ratio. We typically don't target them though cause I'm not sure I've ever caught more than a handful of keeper size small mouth. Doubt I've caught one over 2 lbs on Amistad.

Re: Amistad fishermen - 05/06/21 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by sprigsss
Typically when fishing the main lake we might catch 1 smallmouth for every 10-20 largemouth.

However, in the fall you can fish points in the devils river with a chartreuse squarebill and completely flip that ratio. We typically don't target them though cause I'm not sure I've ever caught more than a handful of keeper size small mouth. Doubt I've caught one over 2 lbs on Amistad.

Thanks sprigsss for your reply and the info thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum