Texas Fishing Forum

What's the lightest setup you have?

Posted By: Ibock

What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/29/21 09:13 PM

What's the lightest setups you have? casting and spinning. I am just now getting into the ultra light setups and I have become addicted to it. I have become a rod snob. The high end rods and reels have ruined me lol
Posted By: David Burton

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/29/21 09:43 PM

I have a 4 power fly rod, but it isn't in the boat with me...
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/29/21 10:07 PM

Casting

CarrotStix ML 7'3"
BFS Setup

Used this setup for 9+ years.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/29/21 10:37 PM

Casting, G.Loomis 802 JWR, Curado 51, 12# YoZuri
Spinning, Daiwa Tatula 7'1" Light, Daiwa 200 size reel, 20# Power Pro with 8# Sunline mono leader
Posted By: Captain Kirk

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/29/21 10:44 PM

Dropshot setup:
Megabass Orochi 6'11" Whipsnake
Pflueger Patriarch XT 2500 reel
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/29/21 10:49 PM

None. Never want to break off a fish and always fishing heavy cover.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/29/21 11:20 PM

The lightest one I have in a bait caster is an NRX 1/8-3/8 oz lure rating with a Daiwa Tatula Elite.
Posted By: basseditor

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 12:21 AM

Two Daiwa Steez CT SV and one Daiwa Steez Air with Kistler 6'-8" and 6'-9" and a 7'-0 light rods.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 03:16 AM

Mediums are the lightest in both styles that I use.
Posted By: Weekender1

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 01:42 PM

What do you mean by Lightest setup? Going by weight (rather ounces) or like 4lb test line on a light action spinning rod?

Jody
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 01:52 PM

Lightest bait casting setup I have is a NRX 852c w/ Metanium MGL and 12# Sniper. Lightest spinning combo is 13Fishing Muse Black 7'1" M w/ Shimano Stradic Ci4 and 8# Invizx.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 02:49 PM

St. Croix Avid AC 69MLXF with a Shimano Metanium reel used for drop shotting. Have 15 # Seaguar Invix on it because I throw it right into fairly heavy shoreline cover.
Have 12 # on the other one for more open water. Neither are much good when you get a giant on and it runs into the standing timber and goes around trees..

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 02:59 PM

Lightest by weight of your rod and reel.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 03:21 PM

7' 1" Phenix Feather L action topped with a Daiwa Pixy reel from Japan. Usually run 8 lb mono or Fluorocarbon on it, but if I need to, I'll drop down to 6. Great for 1/16 oz jigheads with a grub in the winter and weightless Trickworms in the spring.

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 05:50 PM

Oh. That lightest.

I have a few Steez/Steez AGS combos that weigh in under 10 oz with line and lure attached.
Posted By: buda13

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 06:26 PM

I have 1 spinning rod, think it’s 7’ MH. Hasn’t been restrung in 2 years, only pulled out of the box for a friend that cant cast a bait caster. He caught fish with it so I guess it works.

Bait caster set up wise I have a medium action 6’6” falcon original with a shimano slx that gets spooled with 10-15 lb line depending on lake conditions.

No idea what that bait caster set up weighs, just pretty darn light.

Posted By: 96speed

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 06:38 PM

17# flourocarbon + 3/8 shakey head is my finesse rig.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 07:04 PM

13 Fishing Concept TX on a Sarge Custom rod. If I remember correctly I think the entire setup was 7.2oz?

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429
13 Fishing Concept TX on a Sarge Custom rod. If I remember correctly I think the entire setup was 7.2oz?

Doubtful considering the reel itself weighs about 6 oz.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 07:08 PM

Daiwa Cronos, 7' ML that I throw jerkbaits on.

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

Probably around 9.5, before line and tackle.

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Oh. That lightest.

I have a few Steez/Steez AGS combos that weigh in under 10 oz with line and lure attached.

How are those Steez AGS rods, I've never handled one. My NRX852C with a Metanium comes in right at 10oz without line or lure.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ibock

I thought you were asking about the lightest action of the rod, not lightest in weight.

Why are you so worried about total weight of the rod and reel.

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 10:21 PM

Its just so enjoybale to fish with

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 04/30/21 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
Originally Posted by Ibock

I thought you were asking about the lightest action of the rod, not lightest in weight.

Why are you so worried about total weight of the rod and reel.

When its light and balanced it almost feels weightless. Pretty amazing actually
Posted By: TTx

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 05/01/21 12:49 AM

I have two upside down setups. Dobyns with who knows what reels. I’m horrible with them...gotta get better at it.

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 05/01/21 01:02 AM

Oh. That lightest.

How are those Steez AGS rods, I've never handled one. My NRX852C with a Metanium comes in right at 10oz without line or lure.

They are extremely stiff for a given power. Makes you feel like you could fish it up a power higher than it’s intended purpose. They handle fish easily. The tips and guides break easily. They absolutely do not flex. Never ever reel down on a jig to try and shake it from a limb. It’s a $45 mistake. The rods are very light. 3oz give or take a few 10ths. The handles are “air beam” and foam covered. Is in not a blank through design. The air beam is kinda like a resonant chamber and amplifies the information from the rod. Increasing feedback from the rod tip.
They are cool. But, not a everyday, all day, abuse rod for tournament fishing...unless you have DEEP pockets. I don’t have as deep of pockets as I thought. My wife informed me of that misinformation. roflmao

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 05/01/21 01:12 AM

Oh. That lightest.

They are extremely stiff for a given power. Makes you feel like you could fish it up a power higher than it’s intended purpose. They handle fish easily. The tips and guides break easily. They absolutely do not flex. Never ever reel down on a jig to try and shake it from a limb. It’s a $45 mistake. The rods are very light. 3oz give or take a few 10ths. The handles are “air beam” and foam covered. Is in not a blank through design. The air beam is kinda like a resonant chamber and amplifies the information from the rod. Increasing feedback from the rod tip.
They are cool. But, not a everyday, all day, abuse rod for tournament fishing...unless you have DEEP pockets. I don’t have as deep of pockets as I thought. My wife informed me of that misinformation. roflmao

Thanks for the feedback. I got reminded about deep pockets from my better half when she found out I bought 4 NRX's last month. Soon as she finds out about 2 the new Metaniums I may be sleeping in the boat for a while.

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 05/01/21 02:15 AM

Have a pic of the entire set up on the scale somewhere, I’ll look..

If you’ve ever owned or fished a Sarge then you’d probably believe it lol. It ain’t a bass rod

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 05/01/21 02:20 AM

Of course I don’t have pic of the scale

Found a thread when I got it though. Yeah I was a little low, rod and reel with spool of braid was 8.5oz

Rod was 2.6oz by itself

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 05/01/21 03:00 AM

Of course I don’t have pic of the scale

Found a thread when I got it though. Yeah I was a little low, rod and reel with spool of braid was 8.5oz

Rod was 2.6oz by itself

thumb
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 05/02/21 01:03 PM

I fished the lightest setup I've thrown last weekend fishing in a tournament as a non boater. I was getting my butt kicked and just kept down sizing using my spinning finesse set up with 8 pound line and a medium light 6'6" rod. I put a Strike King Baby Rage Menace on a 2/0 hook and no weight. It sank, but insanely slow. I boated a 2.72 with it. I caught some shorts on a much larger set up but this put me across the weigh in stage.
Posted By: Statton48

Re: What's the lightest setup you have? - 05/02/21 08:22 PM

6,8” medium moderate for SB with 10lb line..... have spinning rods just haven’t used them yet
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum