Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Roberts Slot Limit

Posted By: SmalljawNH

Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 01:41 AM

I understand Ray Roberts used to have a slot limit and for one reason or another, they did away with it. If TPWD could management it as they do Fork and and offer that level of fishing to the DFW metroplex, would you support it or oppose it and why?
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 01:47 AM

They tried, the water quality is not there.
If it get the miles of drilla back along with some of the old pads, it would be wonderful.
Posted By: kscatman76

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 01:59 AM

It was a hell of a lot better when it had one and had a hell of a lot less pressure. Wasn't hardly any tournaments then an now its pounded non stop. Damn shame
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 02:43 AM

Should have never been removed!
Posted By: Joel McBride

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 03:25 AM

The pressure has more of an impact IMO. There is alot of coontail coming back and some hydrilla also. Grass is already growing out to 9 feet or so in areas and the west side has it growing as well. Not quite as deep from what I've seen from the east side though.

Stock it like they do Fork and she'll be fine. The smallmouth seem to have almost disappeared which is disappointing.

I guarantee that a few Classic pros will focus solely on the grass. There's alot of it in there without a doubt.

Anyone caught any smallmouth out there recently?
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
Should have never been removed!

thumb
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 11:36 AM

It was my favorite lake when it had the slot because of only a few tournaments were there. Now it's really showing how pathetic the numbers of bass are in it. Don't get me wrong, I love the lake as I have caught all my giants there, i've fished it every year since it opened, and probably have close to 1000 days on the water out there, but the bass fishing is the worst I've ever seen it. In 2018 I had a 50 bass day and really thought the lake was returning to greatness, but now I'm lucky to catch 5. I was really looking forward to fishing it the next couple of months as most of the big tourneys are over, except for the classic coming up in June, I'm afraid now all this rain (lake is up 9" from a week ago) will muddy it all up, and I hate fishing muddy water.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 11:59 AM

Lake has been beat to death and is in bad shape. If they would stock it more then 5 times a century that sure would be nice. She’s hurting.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 12:08 PM

I loved fishing there during the slot years. Had a day that I caught 3 6+ lbers on 3 consecutive casts. Then the next weekend, caught 3 7+ lbers on 3 consecutive casts. I used to be able to find fish on beds all over the place. The last few years I fished it after they removed the slot, I caught 0, 1 or 2 most of the days I fished it. It was like every spot I had ever fished dried up. Removing the slot ruined the lake in my opinion.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by redskeet100
I loved fishing there during the slot years. Had a day that I caught 3 6+ lbers on 3 consecutive casts. Then the next weekend, caught 3 7+ lbers on 3 consecutive casts. I used to be able to find fish on beds all over the place. The last few years I fished it after they removed the slot, I caught 0, 1 or 2 most of the days I fished it. It was like every spot I had ever fished dried up. Removing the slot ruined the lake in my opinion.

Look how terrible the last two tournament results have been. That will tell you how the lake is fishing.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Barrett
Originally Posted by redskeet100

Look how terrible the last two tournament results have been. That will tell you how the lake is fishing.

Not sure of the last two tournaments as I don't follow them now that I live in OK, but if you put 200-300 boats on a lake, some people are going to run into fish. I am talking about getting out here and there to fish and being lucky to get a bite. Most guys can't afford to hire guides and fish all the spots they learn from them, so they just go wing it. To me, going out 2-3 times a week when I was fishing the lake with a slot limit to after they removed the slot and the pressure came, my results were night and day. Sure some of that is on me not adjusting or figuring them out, but it is not like a few people were struggling and everybody else is tearing them up. Most people I would talk to on the lake or at the ramp were scratching their heads like me.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Joel McBride
The pressure has more of an impact IMO. There is alot of coontail coming back and some hydrilla also. Grass is already growing out to 9 feet or so in areas and the west side has it growing as well. Not quite as deep from what I've seen from the east side though.

Stock it like they do Fork and she'll be fine. The smallmouth seem to have almost disappeared which is disappointing.

I guarantee that a few Classic pros will focus solely on the grass. There's alot of it in there without a doubt.

You nailed it TPWD stocks Fork almost every year , stock Ray Roberts and other lakes every year and watch what happens to them TPWD for some reason will not do that.

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 02:38 PM

I'm gauging the level of support that a change in the management structure of Ray Roberts would have. I feel Ray Roberts has the highest potential to be a top tier bass fishery out of all the lakes in the metroplex. There's no shortage of food and judging by Danny Golden's IG posts, there's quality genetics in the lake. I'm not sure that lake can sustain the fishing pressure and I assume will get worse as the metroplex grows and the Elites come to showcase it's best fish.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and would like for everyone to continue sharing (the good, bad, and ugly). If a slot limit were imposed and/or TPWD increased stocking and management efforts, would you support one or both measures? Would you support it even if it restricted tournaments from weighing slot fish or switching to a catch-weight-release format?

The general consensus I've received is that the lake is in bad shape (especially compared to when it had a lot of grass and a slot limit).

Originally Posted by Joel McBride

Yes, I had a guy idle over to me in January asking me to take a photo. He caught a 4lb smallmouth north of Wolf.

The grass is coming back and it's good to see some rain right now. Hopefully we find a good middle-ground between drought and flooding this year so the grass can continue to establish itself.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 02:55 PM

I was just reminiscing about the slot. I still manage to catch a nice one about every trip. However, the numbers have really seem to drop off. I've been fishing Roberts for 20 years beside gar and carp seems like game fish are decreasing. Not sure if the floods that last few springs hurt the spawn. I would have hoped it helped but not seeing any proof.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 02:57 PM

I guess I’m the only one that’s glad the slot was lifted. While I agree the lake has fished tough this year, probably because of the covid pressure. The last couple of years have been real good. Three years ago I averaged about twenty pounds on my best five every trip.
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 02:58 PM

The lake needs grass. Hydrilla would grow an inch a day if it could get established in some of the flats. I wish it had grass and they'd bring back the slot. That would get it healthier.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 03:10 PM

Population increase of DFW area has increased more than 3.5 million people since lake opened. That's why all lakes with in 200 miles of Dallas and Ft Worth do not fish like they they used to back in the day. More people than water.

We should be thankful we got to fish when the fishing was less pressured, easier and water was plentiful...

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 03:15 PM

My guess is It has very little to do with stocking and everything to do with pressure. Back when the slot was lifted a few guides and businesses got greedy and wanted the slot lifted so the tournaments would come. They got their way and now the tournament pressure is hurting the fishing. I don't think the fish disappeared but they have been conditioned through massive pressure. Tournaments are fine and exciting to participate in but there is a cost to the fisheries no doubt.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 03:17 PM

My guess is It has very little to do with stocking and everything to do with pressure. Back when the slot was lifted a few guides and businesses got greedy and wanted the slot lifted so the tournaments would come. They got their way and now the tournament pressure is hurting the fishing. I don't think the fish disappeared but they have been conditioned through massive pressure. Tournaments are fine and exciting to participate in but there is a cost to the fisheries no doubt.

Just makes it a bit more challenging that's all
Posted By: Bleed Husker Red

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 03:27 PM

Lake Fork Stocking:

Bass, Florida Largemouth 2019 529,239 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2018 312,000 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2017 320,261 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2016 317,345 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2015 317,924 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2014 502,318 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2013 518,953 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2012 683,531 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2011 685,049 Fingerling

Goes back this way until 1995.

Ray Roberts Stocking:

Bass, Florida Largemouth 2019 170,169 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2017 247,741 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2013 521,526 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2011 500,719 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2005 14,839 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2001 522,791 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 2000 502,121 Fingerling
Bass, Florida Largemouth 1994 600,809 Fingerling

Fork gets a ton more pressure than Ray Roberts ever has. It isn't pressure related.
Posted By: metalruch1

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 03:35 PM

I have fished the lake now for over 20 years... The grass was the deal... that being said, I would definitely be in favor of a slot coming back. Lake Ray Roberts is like a really hot girlfriend...looks great, but is a Biatch to deal with...however, every now and then she will give you a reason to come back!!
Posted By: Treaufish

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 04:05 PM

I'd support bringing back the slot and certainly more grass and more stocking. I've only been fishing it for 11 years, so I don't recall the slot, but I certainly miss the grass. You'd think that fishing it year after year, that you'd catch more fish as you expand your knowledge. Hasn't been the case for me; it seems to get tougher each year.

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 05:03 PM

Grass is everywhere, there is even a good patch of pads i found last year, just not much hydrilla. TPWD is not going to allow hydrilla to come back and will likely kill it anywhere it shows up. "X" number of tournament permits per lake per year based on biologist recommendations and overall fishery health is what I would like to see. A slot would be another way to slow pressure but probably not as effective as limiting big events.(Fork has plenty of tournaments even with the slot) Again, I am not anti tournament, I fish a few myself. I would just like to see them spread out to other locations. Example: Has Bass Champs ever fished Joe Pool or Lake Worth? I don't know but just naming places that are about the same distance to the metromess as Roberts.
Posted By: Mallison22

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 05:25 PM

Just make lakes when they get in the shape of RR catch and release only for Largemouth, Smallmouth, Spots. Hold tournaments, but if those fish are in your livewell, you need to prove you are in a tournament and those fish will be released after weigh in. Plenty of other fish to catch and fry.
The stocking of RR compared to Fork is pathetic. I get Fork is the showcase lake, but isn't the goal to find a way to make all, or the majority showcase lakes?
Posted By: buda13

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 07:23 PM

I’m glad the slot is gone, no chance I’d support that stupid 14”-24” “trophy slot” that was there before. It never produced the giants TPWD wanted. Sand bass population, horrendous stocking numbers, GAR population, and years where every sprig of grass on the lake died off due to water fluctuations is what’s gotten us to the point we’re at today. I’ll whole heartedly agree the pressure and tournaments this month put them in a funk, but the fish per acre numbers have been the worst in DFW for a long time before this year. It’s still the best lake in our area for quality per bite, just have to spend a full day sometimes to get 5 bites. 75% of the bass in the lake live in 1% of the water. The other 25% of the fish have been caught and hauled to the Marina.
Posted By: Bleed Husker Red

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 07:33 PM

Grass makes it easier to catch fish, also provides cover for baby bass. The sand bass numbers on RR seem very high to me compared to other lakes in the area. Lack of grass, those baby bass have no-place to hide in the summer. You could stock it with 400,000 fingerlings a year, do they just become sand bass food?

When the lake is high/flooded, catch rates go way up. That tells me the bass are in the lake, just not as easy to catch in the timber?

How many will have a limit all 3 days of the Classic on RR next month? Forward Facing sonar should be a huge player I would guess.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by metalruch1
I have fished the lake now for over 20 years... The grass was the deal... that being said, I would definitely be in favor of a slot coming back. Lake Ray Roberts is like a really hot girlfriend...looks great, but is a Biatch to deal with...however, every now and then she will give you a reason to come back!!

100% agree with this!
Posted By: Hook'Em 79

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 08:23 PM

Couldn’t catch them then and still can’t catch them now so I have no opinion either way.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 08:31 PM

Grass is everywhere, there is even a good patch of pads i found last year, just not much hydrilla. TPWD is not going to allow hydrilla to come back and will likely kill it anywhere it shows up. "X" number of tournament permits per lake per year based on biologist recommendations and overall fishery health is what I would like to see. A slot would be another way to slow pressure but probably not as effective as limiting big events.(Fork has plenty of tournaments even with the slot) Again, I am not anti tournament, I fish a few myself. I would just like to see them spread out to other locations. Example: Has Bass Champs ever fished Joe Pool or Lake Worth? I don't know but just naming places that are about the same distance to the metromess as Roberts.

With all due respect sir, I am not calling you anti tournament but you are very much clueless about them. Roberts has less than 15 tournaments a year, only 2-3 of those are big ones. Roberts is far from over run with tournaments.

Let’s talk Worth for a minute since it was brought up. Ray Bob is 29,350 acres, lake Worth is 3489 acres. (Joe Pool 7,470). Imagine putting 250 boats in Johnson branch, that’s a little smaller but comparable in size to LW. Worth has 26 weeknight tournaments, 3 media bass tournaments, bassaholics tournament, 8 weekend opens this year, plus bass clubs, plus a 2 day championship, plus kings of Cowtown qualifiers, and kings of Cowtown tournament. All of this on a water body 8 times smaller than Ray Bob.

Fish per acre is the problem not tournaments per year or minimum length. Let’s not forget about the giant group of pelicans that won’t freaking leave...watched one gulp down a solid 3 lb bass last week.. how many are those 100 pelicans eating per day while the bass are moving shallow? I feel sure that number is higher than the tournament mortality because those darn things have been there for 2 months!

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bleed Husker Red
Grass makes it easier to catch fish, also provides cover for baby bass. The sand bass numbers on RR seem very high to me compared to other lakes in the area. Lack of grass, those baby bass have no-place to hide in the summer. You could stock it with 400,000 fingerlings a year, do they just become sand bass food?

When the lake is high/flooded, catch rates go way up. That tells me the bass are in the lake, just not as easy to catch in the timber?

How many will have a limit all 3 days of the Classic on RR next month? Forward Facing sonar should be a huge player I would guess.

All good questions and points.

The one item we all seem to agree on is promoting grass growth in the lake (habitat restoration). It won't reduce fishing pressure, but it will change how fish respond to it. It also changes how guys will use forward facing sonar to a degree (searching for grass edges vs. sniping individual fish 100% of the time).

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by buda13

With all due respect sir, I am not calling you anti tournament but you are very much clueless about them. Roberts has less than 15 tournaments a year, only 2-3 of those are big ones. Roberts is far from over run with tournaments.

Let’s talk Worth for a minute since it was brought up. Ray Bob is 29,350 acres, lake Worth is 3489 acres. (Joe Pool 7,470). Imagine putting 250 boats in Johnson branch, that’s a little smaller but comparable in size to LW. Worth has 26 weeknight tournaments, 3 media bass tournaments, bassaholics tournament, 8 weekend opens this year, plus bass clubs, plus a 2 day championship, plus kings of Cowtown qualifiers, and kings of Cowtown tournament. All of this on a water body 8 times smaller than Ray Bob.

Fish per acre is the problem not tournaments per year or minimum length. Let’s not forget about the giant group of pelicans that won’t freaking leave...watched one gulp down a solid 3 lb bass last week.. how many are those 100 pelicans eating per day while the bass are moving shallow? I feel sure that number is higher than the tournament mortality because those darn things have been there for 2 months!

You are correct in that I don't fish 2-3 tournaments a week like many do. I fish more like 2-3 per year. I threw out the names of those two lakes because they are close to the city like Roberts is. Sounds like they get their share of pounding too, again more reason to limit the number of events held based on heath of the fishery. My opinion and source of irritation with the fishing on Roberts is simply the fact that I have been fishing it as my home lake since 1994 +/- shortly after getting out of the military. My observation is as tournaments have steadily increased in popularity, the fishing at Roberts has gotten steadily worse. You are correct in that there are many other factors such as nature and TPWD that also effect the fishing. I live toward the back of Wolf creek and there are probably a dozen or more heron nests within view of my little landing. Not to mention as you say the pelicans and all of the stinking cormorants. Having said that you can't nor do I believe should attempt to control nature. Where I do think we have a responsibility and a stewardship is to police ourselves and show a little restraint. There may only be 2-5 big tournaments a year but for each of those there is constant prefishing. There are also a bunch of club tournaments as well as weekly jack pots. You are out there frequently, how often have you seen pros practicing for the classic, what about getting ready for champs, or HS events, or the BPS event? All of those draw tons of people to the lake which = more pressure. Stocking sounds great if it would work, lets try that, and a slot limit, and limiting numbers of tournaments, lets try it all until the lake recovers and then try to do a better job of managing the resource. Anyway, I recognize some of my ideas may be off the wall but some real conversations about some real attempts to improve the fishery would be awesome!
Posted By: Donegonefishin

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 09:32 PM

Here is a good read regarding TPWD plans and the 2019 survey

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/lake_survey/pwd_rp_t3200_1368_2019.pdf
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 10:14 PM

You are correct in that I don't fish 2-3 tournaments a week like many do. I fish more like 2-3 per year. I threw out the names of those two lakes because they are close to the city like Roberts is. Sounds like they get their share of pounding too, again more reason to limit the number of events held based on heath of the fishery. My opinion and source of irritation with the fishing on Roberts is simply the fact that I have been fishing it as my home lake since 1994 +/- shortly after getting out of the military. My observation is as tournaments have steadily increased in popularity, the fishing at Roberts has gotten steadily worse. You are correct in that there are many other factors such as nature and TPWD that also effect the fishing. I live toward the back of Wolf creek and there are probably a dozen or more heron nests within view of my little landing. Not to mention as you say the pelicans and all of the stinking cormorants. Having said that you can't nor do I believe should attempt to control nature. Where I do think we have a responsibility and a stewardship is to police ourselves and show a little restraint. There may only be 2-5 big tournaments a year but for each of those there is constant prefishing. There are also a bunch of club tournaments as well as weekly jack pots. You are out there frequently, how often have you seen pros practicing for the classic, what about getting ready for champs, or HS events, or the BPS event? All of those draw tons of people to the lake which = more pressure. Stocking sounds great if it would work, lets try that, and a slot limit, and limiting numbers of tournaments, lets try it all until the lake recovers and then try to do a better job of managing the resource. Anyway, I recognize some of my ideas may be off the wall but some real conversations about some real attempts to improve the fishery would be awesome!

Roberts had a slot. Fishing wasn't all that great for the masses back then either. Since it's impoundment it has never been what it was expected to be. Who knows why......
Champs, TTT and even the HS circuits have to go where there is a big enough venue to host the event and a large enough water body to put that many boats into.

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Donegonefishin

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/lake_survey/pwd_rp_t3200_1368_2019.pdf

Interesting read. Even TPW struggles to catch bass for their surveys. Also interesting that 43% of non tournament anglers are keeping their bass. The good news with the low population of bass is that it increases the trophy potential in my opinion.

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 10:39 PM

Thanks, I'm reading through this now. One question I have in general (not for anyone specifically) is if the lake is man-made in 1986, how is the distinction made between native and non-native aquatic vegetation. Impoundments themselves are inherently non-native. What are we trying to accomplish by only permitting native aquatic vegetation? It seems to me that the blanket labeling of hydrilla as a non-native/invasive species neglects its benefits..

Giant Salvania is a real problem and it destroys habitats. Hydrilla, not so much (from my understanding). I know it outcompetes native vegetation... but again... we're talking about a man-made lake where native vegetation wouldn't exist if humans didn't build a lake in the first place. I feel like a calculated decision to allow certain non-native plants (e.g., hydrilla) that benefit fish and wildlife as a whole would be win/win. Might just be my ignorance.
Posted By: Mallison22

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 11:09 PM

Tournament pressure, boat pressure, public use is never going away. Will only continue to increase. Fish population can/needs to be addressed/resolved.

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 11:13 PM

I believe 99% of the grass make up right now is native. I would also say in very low numbers overall "I've been in nearly every cove of the lake recently". There is not a ton of grass period. I only know of one tiny patch of hydrilla. I think they lake would benefit from more hydrilla and lily pads like it had in the past.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/29/21 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by SmalljawNH

Thanks, I'm reading through this now. One question I have in general (not for anyone specifically) is if the lake is man-made in 1986, how is the distinction made between native and non-native aquatic vegetation. Impoundments themselves are inherently non-native. What are we trying to accomplish by only permitting native aquatic vegetation? It seems to me that the blanket labeling of hydrilla as a non-native/invasive species neglects its benefits..

Giant Salvania is a real problem and it destroys habitats. Hydrilla, not so much (from my understanding). I know it outcompetes native vegetation... but again... we're talking about a man-made lake where native vegetation wouldn't exist if humans didn't build a lake in the first place. I feel like a calculated decision to allow certain non-native plants (e.g., hydrilla) that benefit fish and wildlife as a whole would be win/win. Might just be my ignorance.

Native is native to the area. There is/are was/were native grasses in the river and creeks up there since time immemorial. Hydrilla just one of many exotic "introduced" non-native to North America...
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/30/21 12:34 AM

One thing that may work to help "your home lake" is the State of Texas makes a regulation that says if you've fished the lake for 20+ years, you should take a break and try another lake or two. You've already done your part to contribute to the decline of the fishery, let some others have a crack at Ray Roberts...
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Ray Roberts Slot Limit - 04/30/21 12:57 AM

It's a mudhole and should be drained immediately
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum