Texas Fishing Forum

Rising Water

Posted By: 20lberorbust

Rising Water - 04/28/21 01:51 PM

Do any of you all have a general idea of how long post-rain water continues to rise before it starts to drop? Of course there are many variables (amount of rain, water shed, pulling water or not, etc) to this but considering a day with moderate to heavy rain (1-2) inches, I generally assume water still rising through the following day, and for that reason, may plan to flip flooded bushes. 2 days post rain, maybe I will plan on backing off of bushes with falling water levels. I have no idea, if this is right but that's how I think of it.

Thoughts?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Rising Water - 04/28/21 01:57 PM

The time of year and how muddy the water gets are significant factors.
Several strategies work, but there are some generalizations that hold true most of the time.
Less than 2 feet of visibility, fish shallow flooded isolated cover.
More than 5 feet of visibility, early after a rain, the deep end/dam area will have the most stable water. Bass like stable water.
Do your fishing where the food/bait fish etc. is located.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Rising Water - 04/28/21 02:00 PM

It really depends on the amount of rain and the type of lake you are talking about. Does it have a morning glory "gate", spillway or dam with gates that need to be opened. Those all factor in to how long it will be on the rise. And 1-2" of rain won't be much of a rise for any lakes around here regardless.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum