Texas Fishing Forum

Canyon lake bass fishing tips

Posted By: William pitts

Canyon lake bass fishing tips - 04/27/21 02:37 AM

All,

I am gonna head to canyon lake soon to bass fish. Any tips or suggestions for that lake. I drove out there this weekend to look at it and check it out. Water looked super clear. Not looking for any spots or anything but just general advice for it. Looks safe to run wherever? Unlike choke canyon.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Canyon lake bass fishing tips - 04/27/21 02:40 AM

Lots of trees in some areas, not as bad as Choke, but don’t be fooled into thinking it’s wide open. Don’t worry about anyone sharing spots, because there aren’t any. Report back with your results, I bet you tear them up.
Posted By: William pitts

Re: Canyon lake bass fishing tips - 04/27/21 03:10 AM

Awesome thanks, I’ll post a report once I go
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Canyon lake bass fishing tips - 04/27/21 03:16 AM

If you have a newer graph with a map card, it should show you the main lake channel markers. Safest bet to run along those, the channel zigs and zags quite a bit. Some submerged oak trees right off the channel and don’t even think about going up the river on anything other than an idle. (From the mouth, where it touches the main lake).

Having fished Choke and Canyon for years, I think Choke might be a tad safer at times. Canyon isn’t bad when full, but it’s not, so....lots of trees & rocks.
Posted By: Martinial

Re: Canyon lake bass fishing tips - 04/28/21 03:10 PM

the farther back you go into a creek be sure to slow down. There are a lot of trees just below the surface
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Canyon lake bass fishing tips - 04/28/21 04:38 PM

Canyon is more of finesse lake for bass fishing.
Downsize your line and lures, such as a dropshot or wacky rig. Topwaters and deep divers.
As long as you stay clear of river and the very backs of coves you should be okay since it's a deep lake and lots of rocks.
If you decide to fish the river just be aware that just because you think you are safe in 20+ feet of water that there are no stumps, you would be wrong.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum