Texas Fishing Forum

Landing net recommendations

Posted By: SAdoc

Landing net recommendations - 04/25/21 11:13 PM

I’m in the market for a new landing net. I somehow managed to bend mine and it broke when I straightened it. I mainly bass fish, but occasionally fish for freshwater redfish. Something that’s fairly difficult for hooks to catch in would be preferred. Any recommendations?
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/25/21 11:27 PM

academy has good ones at a good price. all you need is one thats big and has that silicon type coating on the mesh. Frabill has nice ones and theyre at academy. You can spend crazy money and buy the huk one. If youre solo landing, the YakAttack one might not be a bad move
Posted By: Les Ems

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/26/21 10:44 AM

How about one that Treble hooks do not get all hung up in? Anyone have a recommendation for a good net?
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/26/21 12:32 PM

Academy H2O Landing Net

I have this one. No complaints so far.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/26/21 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Les Ems
How about one that Treble hooks do not get all hung up in? Anyone have a recommendation for a good net?

EGO makes some that are more treble hook friendly. cheers
Posted By: C130

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/26/21 01:10 PM

I have had an Ego for at least 3 years and really like it.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/26/21 01:32 PM

Love this net: EGO S2 Slider

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FHZDCO/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_47D3EQ2MC3VXB9Q1JRHG?psc=1
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/26/21 01:49 PM

I have one of the rubber ones - hooks are very easy to get out.
Posted By: bockscar

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/26/21 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Les Ems

Originally Posted by patriot07
I have one of the rubber ones - hooks are very easy to get out.

^^^^^This

as long as you got the nets where the mesh is either coated or completely made up of that silicon/rubber type material. the coating prevents the tangling and the trebles from grabbing all over. I think the Huk one is completely made of that silicon material....so thatd probably be the best. As long as they are coated theyll definitely help.
Posted By: RDLFish

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/26/21 04:22 PM

Anyone have experience with stowmaster nets?
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/26/21 04:40 PM

pretty much ANY large loop rubber net will be good for treble hooks, not just EGO
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/26/21 05:47 PM

Frabil Sportsman Telescoping Rubber Net... Dan
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/26/21 06:38 PM

Am I the only person that hasn’t lost a big one, due to NOT using a net all the time?

I’ve had two good ones knocked off by co anglers punching the fish in the head with a net.

I hate nets. I’d rather grab em.

That said...I have the one posted above.
banana
Posted By: Mac Town Fuzz

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/26/21 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Am I the only person that hasn’t lost a big one, due to NOT using a net all the time?

The dinks I’m catching don’t require a net. At this point I don’t need a net!

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/26/21 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

I’ve had two good ones knocked off by co anglers punching the fish in the head with a net.

I hate nets. I’d rather grab em.

That said...I have the one posted above.
banana

6lbs and above I net them. Smaller than that they get boat flipped. I've never lost a big one to net use, can't say I've ever lost a big one to not using a net though either. In any case, I don't plan to push my luck.
Posted By: SAdoc

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/27/21 02:28 PM

Thanks everyone. I’ll see what Academy has. If I don’t find a good one there I’ll order the Ego from a Tackle Warehouse.
Posted By: ricochetrabbit

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/27/21 02:59 PM

I have an Ego S2 Slider and really like it but they do have a load capacity and it varies on how far the handle it extended. The handle part of the net hoop is plastic and a big red will break it. That's how mine broke but Ego does sell replacement parts.

I've been using one of the basic no frills aluminum frame nets I found on the side of the highway. It does the job.
Posted By: fish hard for fun

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/28/21 03:44 AM

Big with a long handle. You might cram the handle full of styrofoam in case it ever ends up in the water. I like to mount a bike handle grip on mine. Might seem like overkill but one day you may need it.
Posted By: bobrfishes

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/28/21 02:19 PM

Hiber Net by affability from Tackle Warehouse.
I’v had several and love them.
You can stow it and stick it in the rod box and it won’t gather all your rods together
Posted By: n2ratfishin

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/28/21 03:35 PM

I've had a big Stowmaster for years, like ten years or better. That thing has been through hell and back and still works great.

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/28/21 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by ricochetrabbit
I have an Ego S2 Slider and really like it but they do have a load capacity and it varies on how far the handle it extended. The handle part of the net hoop is plastic and a big red will break it. That's how mine broke but Ego does sell replacement parts.

I've been using one of the basic no frills aluminum frame nets I found on the side of the highway. It does the job.

What are you netting that is breaking the EGO S2? I've had several 9s and a DD in mine in the last year and a half with no problems at all. Oh and a 20 lb red fish!
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/28/21 10:45 PM

I like the folding nets for the simple fact that I'm 100% convinced that the harder it is to get the net out, the bigger the fish will be, so I like to store it in a compartment while fishing. Thats why I never leave the net out while fishing and I always make sure I have a bunch of [censored] on top of it when I put it back in the box.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/28/21 10:51 PM

What's a net?
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/29/21 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by SAdoc
Thanks everyone. I’ll see what Academy has. If I don’t find a good one there I’ll order the Ego from a Tackle Warehouse.

I ordered the Ego from Amazon. Great net and a good price.

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/30/21 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue

What are you netting that is breaking the EGO S2? I've had several 9s and a DD in mine in the last year and a half with no problems at all. Oh and a 20 lb red fish!

When I said "I" it was actually my daughter's boyfriend at the time. *blink* It was a bull red, maybe 35-40lb range. I guess some folks have heebie-jeebies landing a fish that size by hand. I later found out on Ego's website they list the load capacity. Lesson learned.

By looking at the assembly you think the frame runs through the entire length of the plastic handle but it does not. The part that screws onto the handle is actually just an insert and it's all held together by the plastic handle. One of these days I'll get around to actually ordering it.

[Linked Image]
Anyways, I still think Ego is a good net, the extending handle is awesome.

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/30/21 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by sprigsss
I like the folding nets for the simple fact that I'm 100% convinced that the harder it is to get the net out, the bigger the fish will be, so I like to store it in a compartment while fishing. Thats why I never leave the net out while fishing and I always make sure I have a bunch of [censored] on top of it when I put it back in the box.

LOL What are your feelings about bananas or prefilling the livewells?
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/30/21 07:12 PM

LOL What are your feelings about bananas or prefilling the livewells?

No bananas on my boat, and I only prefill the livewell during the summer when I need to get the coolest water possible in the well.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Landing net recommendations - 04/30/21 07:50 PM

I just bought a foldable one from academy that fits in a rod locker. I don't see it on the website yet but it was like $39 bucks or something. Blue collapsible handle and the round net folds in two.

Re: Landing net recommendations - 05/22/21 07:53 PM

I stumbled across this looking up how to replace the foam on the handle for my Ego. Low and behold Sure-Line makes an extending pole for paint roller handles that looks just like the Ego. Who knew? The 4 to 9 foot Sure-Line pole is about $32 and the 2.5 to 5 foot for about $24 on Amazon. Ego sells the net heads separately, medium nylon for $33 for example, to potentially save 40% on a good landing net.

[Linked Image]

No disrespect to Ego, just thought I'd share a $$$ saving tip.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Landing net recommendations - 05/22/21 08:04 PM

EGO. Stay away from the slider. It’s nice but can’t hold up. I have the standard handle with the rubber net which is a must if you fish baits with treble hooks. Have netted big bull reds without an issue.
Posted By: Paul - Lake Fork

Re: Landing net recommendations - 05/22/21 08:10 PM

I've got a EGO foam wore off handle, however applied Winn grip tape now good as new ..cool net.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum