Texas Fishing Forum

Cypress springs

Posted By: Eagle91

Cypress springs - 04/23/21 08:00 PM

I’m headed to cypress in a week. Any opinions on what the bass are doing? Have the majority already spawned. Or mostly still Prespawn. Thanks for any info.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Cypress springs - 04/23/21 08:06 PM

Yes and Yes
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Cypress springs - 04/23/21 09:08 PM

All 35 largemouth that remain in the lake have spawned or will be spawning very soon
Posted By: DJB

Re: Cypress springs - 04/24/21 08:27 PM

I would go on a weekend so you can enjoy all the wakeboats. Catfishing should be good. No bass that i know of in that lake.
Posted By: Newly Retired

Re: Cypress springs - 05/05/21 06:52 PM

No bass! You have got to be kidding, plenty of bass there
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Cypress springs - 05/05/21 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Newly Retired

there are some good bass in that lake...
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Cypress springs - 05/05/21 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by coachallentca

no doubt, its just a shell of what it used to be. But that lake is full of spots!
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Cypress springs - 05/05/21 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by UTDmiller

no doubt, its just a shell of what it used to be. But that lake is full of spots!

I just can't but up with all the wake boats and jet skies. I can go to Sandlin and get away from them...

Re: Cypress springs - 05/05/21 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by UTDmiller

I just can't but up with all the wake boats and jet skies. I can go to Sandlin and get away from them...

yep, i just dont make the drive anymore. Family no longer has a place out there so its off my list for now

Re: Cypress springs - 05/05/21 09:34 PM

It is still a great crappie and catfish lake for eaters.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Cypress springs - 05/05/21 09:59 PM

I've actually had my best bigger fish year over the last 14 months than any time over the last 10+ years I have had a house out there. I was never out there during the hydrilla days so have only know the current Cypress "bowl" and I NEVER fish out there from Memorial Day - Labor Day. And the crappie are finally starting to get back to the size they were a few years back.

Re: Cypress springs - 05/05/21 10:02 PM

hydrilla days.... 7 pounders were common and easy. trap or worm on the edge of the grass (15-17') water depths.... those were magical times. 30+ pounds needed in tournament just to have a "chance" at winning.

I need to switch up my approach and quit fishing the same thing for bass every time I go. I get started catching crappie and can't stop... it's too fun. There's some big schools of black crappie that are 1.75-2# each fish! I love chasing them around in open water with the livescope.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Cypress springs - 05/05/21 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by SkeeterRonnie
hydrilla days.... 7 pounders were common and easy. trap or worm on the edge of the grass (15-17') water depths.... those were magical times. 30+ pounds needed in tournament just to have a "chance" at winning.

I need to switch up my approach and quit fishing the same thing for bass every time I go. I get started catching crappie and can't stop... it's too fun. There's some big schools of black crappie that are 1.75-2# each fish! I love chasing them around in open water with the livescope.

Then I’m definitely calling you for a “guide” trip. Have Livescope....will travel. Your family still have the place close to the marina?

Re: Cypress springs - 05/05/21 11:19 PM

He sold that lot to the new marina owners. they pulled the RV's and I've heard it will be used for rental cabins. I go out there about once a week to catch those big crappie. right now they are stacked on a couple docks. got a limit in 30 minutes last week, ran around fishing lots of other piles and areas loaded with small crappie.

Re: Cypress springs - 05/06/21 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by SkeeterRonnie
He sold that lot to the new marina owners. they pulled the RV's and I've heard it will be used for rental cabins. I go out there about once a week to catch those big crappie. right now they are stacked on a couple docks. got a limit in 30 minutes last week, ran around fishing lots of other piles and areas loaded with small crappie.

I want to see that livescope in action! Doge might buy me one yet lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum