Texas Fishing Forum

Spinning Rod and Reel for Wife

Posted By: CaddaBoom24

Spinning Rod and Reel for Wife - 04/23/21 05:06 PM

Hey Everyone,

Looking to get my wife her very own spinning rod/reel for her birthday. She is new to fishing and the few times that she has came out on the boat with me she has used my finesse spinning setup. She is not good with baitcasters and definitely does not have the patience to learn laugh

The other day she mentioned that she would like her very own spinning rod. I was surprised to hear her say that and I am pumped that she is wanting to fish with me more!

With that being said, what would you guys recommend for an all purpose spinning rod/reel setup around $100 or so for a beginner? Wanting to get one where she can fish shakey heads/ light jigs/ T-rigs

Thanks in advance for the help!

Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Perfect Value Spinning Rod and Reel for Wife - 04/23/21 05:42 PM

I have an Academy brand H20 Mettle rod and 20 series Mettle reel that my daughter occasionally uses when we go out. Good sensitivity in the rod and fairly smooth drag. I believe it's in the ~$100 price range.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Perfect Value Spinning Rod and Reel for Wife - 04/23/21 06:30 PM

If you want her to continue supporting your habit look through your rod/reel collection and determine the most expensive setup then spend at least that amount on hers.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Perfect Value Spinning Rod and Reel for Wife - 04/23/21 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
If you want her to continue supporting your habit look through your rod/reel collection and determine the most expensive setup then spend at least that amount on hers.

True story...…….. Don't go cheap on this. IF she figures out your using $300 setups and you buy her a cheapo, she's gonna remember it.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Perfect Value Spinning Rod and Reel for Wife - 04/23/21 08:02 PM

I would go with one of these.. Falcon Jason Christie Spinning Rod. 7' Medium.
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Fal..._Series_Spinning_Rods/descpage-FBSS.html

For the reel.. A Pflueger President in the 25 series.
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Pflueger_President_Spinning_Reel/descpage-PPSS.html

Good stuff.
BD
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Perfect Value Spinning Rod and Reel for Wife - 04/23/21 08:18 PM

I have one of these reels at my lake Fork camper I'm not using. Very lightly used with a 6'5" medium power rod. Rod is not a high end rod but I've caught 6.5lb bass on it so it fishes. $90 for the pair. If you're interested DM me. I don't remember much on the rod but I got it as a pair at Academy and then replaced the reel with the better Shimano.
Posted By: beeflover

Re: Perfect Value Spinning Rod and Reel for Wife - 04/23/21 08:20 PM

get her a shimano setup, like a sahara 3000 reel and 7 ft med weight rod. $150-200

I have Sahara reels over 15 yrs old and still working well.
Posted By: CaddaBoom24

Re: Perfect Value Spinning Rod and Reel for Wife - 04/24/21 04:30 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions! I definitely have a better idea of what to look for. We are taking a trip to Bass Pro tomorrow. Going to see about getting her hands on some rods to see what she likes the best!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum