Texas Fishing Forum

Where to go this summer

Posted By: dk2429

Where to go this summer - 04/22/21 12:33 AM

Follow up from thread asking which lake around Nacgodoches to fish.. I have few more ideas I'd like some input on for someone that has never fished any of the lakes that are mentioned below...

Will be going for 4 days, first week of June. Wanting to fish lakes I've never been to. Trying to stay in a central location that has some lakes within 20-30 minutes around it. Here are the ideas I have, just curious about how these lakes fish and if they are worth my time/trip. I'll be coming from south Houston

-As in my original thread... Stay in Nacgodoches; fish Pinkston, Naconchie, and Nacgodoches. Pinkston is a lake pretty high on my list to visit.

-Stay in Jefferson, TX; fish Lake O' the Pines and Caddo Lake. Lake O' the Pines is probably #1 on the top of my list of Texas lakes I want to visit. My buddy that is going with me has always wanted to go to Caddo, so this seems like a good option. However, I don't know if either of the lakes are really worth spending time on, especially Caddo.. I just feel like Caddo would be difficult for someone that's never been to it.

-Stay in Gilmer, TX (somewhere in that vicinity); Fish Fork, Bob Sandlin, and Lake O' the Pines. I've been to Fork one time years ago, was too young to really remember any of it.

Really just wanting to know if any of these I listed are worth fishing, and if there's any of them that lean better in summertime. I know I just gotta get out there and try it but I gotta have some kinda guidance on where to go! grin

Also open to hear any other suggestions! I'm all ears. Think I wanna stick to east Texas lakes this go around... Last year was Belton/Stillhouse.

TIA
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Where to go this summer - 04/22/21 12:49 AM

LOP and Caddo 100% best choices, hell skip Caddo and do LOP for 4 days
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Where to go this summer - 04/22/21 01:35 AM

JMO - do the Nacogdoches, Naconiche, Pinkston thing. Caddo is incredible but is dead fishing-wise.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Where to go this summer - 04/22/21 02:43 AM

Might throw Murvaul, Brady Branch or Cherokee in that itinerary.

Or Martin Creek.
Posted By: D1988

Re: Where to go this summer - 04/22/21 10:33 PM

Can you fish Cherokee if you don't own property that part of the lake?

Re: Where to go this summer - 04/23/21 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by D1988

From my knowledge, I don't think so
Posted By: SkeeterGuy1

Re: Where to go this summer - 04/23/21 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429
Originally Posted by D1988

From my knowledge, I don't think so

That's right. Have to own property to fish that lake, or fish with someone who does.

Re: Where to go this summer - 04/23/21 10:49 PM

Yes Nacogdoches, Naconiche and Pinkston. If things line up perfect these 3 lakes could be best trip ever. I grew up fishing Nacogdoches and Pinkston with my Dad. I fished the creeks that make up Naconiche before it was a lake. I love Pinkston as a kid. It was the time if you saw 3 boats that was a busy day. Nacogdoches can be awesome for numbers of 2 to 3 lb fish if you hit the right spots. The last 2 years take a run down to Nacogdoches with brother-in-law. We have had great trips with over 50 fish each trip.
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Where to go this summer - 04/27/21 04:38 AM

I’ve fished every lake you mentioned. I live right in the middle of the Nacogdoches, Pinkston and Naconiche area and they are all great little lakes. Fork is by far the best bass lake in Texas. Pines is also a good one and Caddo is a beautiful lake but size and numbers could be disappointing. For the bigger lakes in June you don’t want to miss a day or two on Fork. Tight lines!

Re: Where to go this summer - 04/27/21 10:09 AM

Larry is right on with his advise. We could both tell you more about these lakes than most people because of the time we have spent on each one. I hope its a great trip. If you make it to Nacogdoches try to find you some Zoom centipedes (Sour grape). They dont produce the Sour grape color in the centipede anymore but sometimes you can find them at old tackle stores. I would fish the points and humps in 15 to 20 ft Carolina rig. This can really pay off.
Posted By: ETXfisher91

Re: Where to go this summer - 04/27/21 12:41 PM

Pines for 3 days of fishing and then Caddo on the last day to go cruise for the scenery... especially how late we are getting the grass sprout and lilly sprout on pines this year... Come june the topwater bite should be full on..
Posted By: CaddaBoom24

Re: Where to go this summer - 04/28/21 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Mosby
I’ve fished every lake you mentioned. I live right in the middle of the Nacogdoches, Pinkston and Naconiche area and they are all great little lakes. Fork is by far the best bass lake in Texas. Pines is also a good one and Caddo is a beautiful lake but size and numbers could be disappointing. For the bigger lakes in June you don’t want to miss a day or two on Fork. Tight lines!

THIS
Posted By: SkeeterHawk

Re: Where to go this summer - 04/28/21 05:49 PM

Somewhere cooler then Texas. Like California or the Mountains of New Mexico or Colorado.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Where to go this summer - 04/28/21 06:49 PM

https://www.saintbarth-tourisme.com/en/home-of-st-barts-tourism/

pollo

Re: Where to go this summer - 04/29/21 04:00 PM

Thanks for all the input. I think my buddy and I decided we’re gonna do the Nacogdoches thing... Nacogdoches, Naconiche, Pinkston, Timpson maybe?

Only reason is because we have 4 days and Pines/Caddo is almost 4 1/2hrs from where I’m at. So it just seems logical to have 3-4 lakes to fish that are within 3hrs of us.

We both work at the same place and decided next 3 day weekend we have, we’ll take off an extra few days to make it 5-6 days and THEN do the Pines/Caddo trip.

So with that said... what do I need to know about the Nacogdoches lakes? Never been to any of them or even seen them
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Where to go this summer - 04/29/21 08:46 PM

Naconiche is a fun lake to fish, be careful running it though, awful easy to stray out of the boat lane (creek channel) and find a stump.

Re: Where to go this summer - 04/30/21 12:30 AM

So there is a clearly marked boat lane to run?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum