Texas Fishing Forum

World Class Lake Conroe

Posted By: JBranham

World Class Lake Conroe - 04/20/21 03:21 PM

Suck it Conroe haters! World Class! Texas Fish & Game said so! nannyboo Lol!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

LAKE CONROE is a world-class fishing destination.

It has hosted the Bassmaster Classic, Toyota Texas Bass Classic, and is a favorite of anglers from around the nation seeking trophy-sized largemouths.

Posted By: Alan

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/20/21 04:09 PM

I've lived 10 miles from Conroe for 40 years. The hydrilla years was very good fishing. After that if you didn't make brush piles it was tough. Even if you did people would find them and claim that they built it. People would even take a grappling hook and move them. I gave up and fished Rayburn and Toledo Bend. I retired 5 years ago and decided I would learn Conroe again. It is as tough as it has ever been. I gave up. World Class? I don't think so.
Posted By: Alan

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/20/21 04:15 PM

Oh and I forgot about the wake boats , jet ski's , yachts and bulkheads. A dangerous mix.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/20/21 04:15 PM

Glad to see Lake Conroe getting her just rewards! cheers

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/20/21 04:19 PM

I definitely wouldn't call it a destination lake and hesitate most times on referring to it as World Class but it can pleasantly surprise on occasion. I've come to enjoy the lake and call it my home lake, it is what it is and makes you appreciate catching a limit.

I never got to see it in it's heyday but you can see remnants every once in a while with the natural habitat before it's killed off again. One thing is for sure, I wouldn't even be as close to as comfortable as I've become fishing off shore if not for Conroe. It's helped me to learn to find off-shore structure and fine tune my electronics for sure.

I don't really like messing around out there as much during the warmer months because of the recreation, it will leave you beat up and pissed off most days.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/20/21 06:10 PM

I've lived here ~5 years now. I'm very blessed that I can be at one of our neighborhood ramps in a matter of minutes. As JBranham stated, this lake has made me much more comfortable fishing offshore. I rarely fish during daylight hours during the summer anymore. There are days where I'm proud as a peacock for smashing them and other days I tell my wife we live on the worse lake in the state.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/20/21 06:29 PM

I can be on conroe in a little over an hour. I haven't seen the lake in probably 8 years. I'm not fighting all those idiot boats trying to sink me.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/20/21 06:44 PM

I agree with y'all on the fact that I think Conroe makes me a better offshore fisherman. I avoid it on weekends, but enjoy it during the week, especially if all these people go back to work!!

As to the recreational boaters, they will run your butt slap over. Idiots.

At the end of the day, give me Rayburn or Toledo.
Posted By: C130

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/20/21 08:40 PM

While it can be tough it has some nice fish in it and you never know wgat yiure going to catch. Watched a young man catch a 10.15 yesterday afternoon. He weighed it on my scale and it was a little under 10 and we both thought he should take it to a certified scale and he did, weighed 10.15. Heck of a nice fish, I was very excited for him and he was ecstatic as he should have been.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/20/21 08:43 PM

I’ve said it many times, Conre is the reason I bought a place near Sam Rayburn and drive 3 hrs to get there.
Posted By: TxBassSniper

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/20/21 08:56 PM

The thing I learned about Conroe is if you look at the shore line and there is something unusual about it...ie tree struck by lighting, old shed on a hill. Go directly straight out from that point and 75% of the time you will find some kind of man made structure.
Right now is the best time to fish Conroe, the fish will be on just about any rip rap you can find.
Posted By: Skeeter John

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/20/21 09:10 PM

Looks like he is holding a fiberglass replica!
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/20/21 09:15 PM

It's not world class. It's a mud hole that needs hydrilla to be decent.

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/20/21 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by WLBDallas

Say what you want but it's far from a mud hole, for mud holes check out Lake Houston and Livingston. I bet it would be killer with hydrilla though...
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/20/21 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by JBranham
Originally Posted by WLBDallas

Say what you want but it's far from a mud hole, for mud holes check out Lake Houston and Livingston. I bet it would be killer with hydrilla though...

It was considered world class when it DID have hydrilla, but TPWD and waterfront residents "fixed that" for us. It was a trophy producing fishery for sure.
Posted By: toddfish

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/21/21 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Phoenix_Ed
I agree with y'all on the fact that I think Conroe makes me a better offshore fisherman. I avoid it on weekends, but enjoy it during the week, especially if all these people go back to work!!

As to the recreational boaters, they will run your butt slap over. Idiots.

At the end of the day, give me Rayburn or Toledo.

Agreed, Conroe is a weekday lake for me!
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/21/21 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Alan
Oh and I forgot about the wake boats , jet ski's , yachts and bulkheads. A dangerous mix.

I live 30 minutes from Lake Conroe. It's a shame but because of all of the rec boaters and lack of vegetation, I stay away from it. For those of you that want to fish it, go for it.
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/21/21 01:15 AM

Pfft, World Class roflmao
Posted By: Bad93ex

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/21/21 01:45 AM

Closest lake to me and completely baffling to fish. She does have some giants but you have to earn them, with that said I’ll be out there tomorrow night fishing for my PB.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/21/21 01:54 AM

rolleyes
Posted By: Razorback

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/21/21 03:16 AM

We fished Conroe four days last fall. I hope I never go back.

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/21/21 11:31 AM

Conroe is nice Monday through Friday, never crowded at all though you might see a few wakeboard boats there’s usually not many. One things for sure, the guys that have Conroe figured out don’t have any problems consistently catching big fish.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/21/21 11:43 AM

The hydrilla years it was as good as anywhere. You could find big fish on beds into May. It had that many fish in it. Awesome frog fishing too. I haven't been back since the carp ate everything
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/21/21 02:45 PM

I live 30 minutes from it and consider it my "home lake". That being said, it is probably the hardest lake I know to fish and it's like beginning on a new lake every time I fish it. You can pull up to a spot one day and yank 20 lbs out of it in 15 minutes and not catch a fish on that spot for the next 5 years. If I could give one piece of advice to someone, it would be to find yourself 10-20 spots and run those over and over and over again throughout the day. For me, Conroe has always been a "timing" thing with the off shore bite. You just have to be there when they are and pay attention to the conditions around you when you do find them to better clue you in on future success.

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/21/21 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by GeoFisher
I live 30 minutes from it and consider it my "home lake". That being said, it is probably the hardest lake I know to fish and it's like beginning on a new lake every time I fish it. You can pull up to a spot one day and yank 20 lbs out of it in 15 minutes and not catch a fish on that spot for the next 5 years. If I could give one piece of advice to someone, it would be to find yourself 10-20 spots and run those over and over and over again throughout the day. For me, Conroe has always been a "timing" thing with the off shore bite. You just have to be there when they are and pay attention to the conditions around you when you do find them to better clue you in on future success.

Could not agree more. I still have a spot I caught my biggest bag on 4 years ago, that I still check each time I’m out, and have yet to duplicate that day or even come close.
Posted By: rkd

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/21/21 04:02 PM

I lived in Houston for several years and Conroe was a tricky one. One of the TTBC tournaments (maybe 2013?) Kelly Jordan was day one leader with over 20lbs. I chose to follow him on day 2 thinking I would learn about his strategy and spots. Long story short he zero'd. He hit the same 20+ spots he had fished on day 1 and didn't catch a keeper. Per GeoFisher's comments, on Conroe one day the fish are there and totally gone the next. On the other hand, they had weeknight tournaments during the summer and guys would consistently bring 30lb+ bags to the scales. Same names over and over. Those guys would rotate around 20-30 brushpiles the entire time.

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/22/21 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by C130
Conroe is nice Monday through Friday, never crowded at all though you might see a few wakeboard boats there’s usually not many. One things for sure, the guys that have Conroe figured out don’t have any problems consistently catching big fish.

In my adventures on Conroe, it only has a fairly large crowd for about 4 months. Then, it's a zoo. This is South Texas. People get on the water all of the time. Even Rec Boaters.

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/22/21 01:17 PM

Could not agree more. I still have a spot I caught my biggest bag on 4 years ago, that I still check each time I’m out, and have yet to duplicate that day or even come close.

Caught a 9.87 back in 2004 on a certain spot in 12 foot of water. I swear, since then I have caught exactly 2 keepers (16+). Crazy lake.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/22/21 03:48 PM

Caught a 9.87 back in 2004 on a certain spot in 12 foot of water. I swear, since then I have caught exactly 2 keepers (16+). Crazy lake.

Its not good, the Classic had many bags with 2 or 3 fish, the best of the best in the world, the winner didn't even have limit every day, world class fisherman.

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/22/21 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001

Its not good, the Classic had many bags with 2 or 3 fish, the best of the best in the world, the winner didn't even have limit every day, world class fisherman.

Are you kidding? Just ask those MLF Boys, I’m sure they’ed love to come back for a January tournament! Lol
Posted By: EHarris82

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/22/21 06:08 PM

well next weekend should be fun after reading through the comments here. headed out to conroe for a youth state tournament and never fished the lake, great experience for the boys but we will see how it goes.

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/22/21 06:44 PM

Personally, when fishing tournaments, I like a "tougher" lake. Everyone has to fish the same pond. The art of figuring out something different that works has always appealed to me. Conroe pretty much always fits that criteria.
Posted By: pchapin

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/22/21 07:26 PM

Are you kidding? Just ask those MLF Boys, I’m sure they’ed love to come back for a January tournament! Lol

They were weighing 1 lb fish when the BPT came to Conroe. If they had used 16", that is the minimum for the lake, they would not have weighed many fish.

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/22/21 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by EHarris82
well next weekend should be fun after reading through the comments here. headed out to conroe for a youth state tournament and never fished the lake, great experience for the boys but we will see how it goes.

Use sidescan and try to find some brushpiles
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/23/21 12:27 AM

Nice fish. cheers

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/23/21 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bad93ex
Originally Posted by EHarris82

Use sidescan and try to find some brushpiles

I wish it was that easy, I have about a 100 brush piles marked and it’s not an easy lake by any means. I caught over ten fish yesterday on brush piles and not a single one was over 16”. All were in the 14”-15” range.

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/23/21 01:41 PM

I wish it was that easy, I have about a 100 brush piles marked and it’s not an easy lake by any means. I caught over ten fish yesterday on brush piles and not a single one was over 16”. All were in the 14”-15” range.

Definitely not an easy lake, I have been beating up the shore in Caney Creek and only caught 2 although I did catch a bunch of cats off of a crank.

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/23/21 02:01 PM

Definitely not an easy lake, I have been beating up the shore in Caney Creek and only caught 2 although I did catch a bunch of cats off of a crank.

I’ve caught two nice cats this week, one was close to 30 pounds I’d guess. Caught one yesterday that was probably over ten. Both on a Texas rig senko.
Posted By: Dude Lebowski

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/23/21 02:42 PM

Personally, when fishing tournaments, I like a "tougher" lake. Everyone has to fish the same pond. The art of figuring out something different that works has always appealed to me. Conroe pretty much always fits that criteria.

I have always appreciated catching them when conditions are tough. I consider Conroe my home lake also. I have been fishing it since there was a temporary dam on the river. It can be a puzzle sometimes but it is very rewarding when you can figure it out.

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/23/21 03:59 PM

I’ve caught two nice cats this week, one was close to 30 pounds I’d guess. Caught one yesterday that was probably over ten. Both on a Texas rig senko.

Which ramp do you prefer to use on the lake? Not a big fan of the ramp at Scott's Ridge but you're more centrally located on the lake and can choose between fishing the north or south end of the lake.
Posted By: Reel Addict

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/23/21 08:11 PM

Which ramp do you prefer to use on the lake? Not a big fan of the ramp at Scott's Ridge but you're more centrally located on the lake and can choose between fishing the north or south end of the lake.

830 Public or Stowaway

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/23/21 09:30 PM

"Schedule it and they will come." Or anywhere else.

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/24/21 02:20 AM

I use April Plaza, it’s not perfect but I like their ramp and it’s protected from the wind and waves.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/24/21 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Alan
I've lived 10 miles from Conroe for 40 years. The hydrilla years was very good fishing. After that if you didn't make brush piles it was tough. Even if you did people would find them and claim that they built it. People would even take a grappling hook and move them. I gave up and fished Rayburn and Toledo Bend. I retired 5 years ago and decided I would learn Conroe again. It is as tough as it has ever been. I gave up. World Class? I don't think so.

The great Conroe brush pile myth.You can catch a lot of fish on Conroe and never fish a brush pile. Brush piles are only one aspect of it.

Tough lake to fish but 25# plus stringers happen pretty frequently. Same day some teams will zero.
Posted By: H B

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/24/21 04:58 PM

It’s a world class fishery from thanksgiving through Easter, the rest of the year it’s a world class party on the water!
Posted By: Champion_Ag

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/24/21 05:18 PM

Tough lake to fish but 25# plus stringers happen pretty frequently. Same day some teams will zero.

Have caught 25 lbs. one weekend and then ZERO the next.

It is both a rewarding and humbling lake.

Re: World Class Lake Conroe - 04/25/21 01:29 PM

Yesterday....

From Conroebass:

Tim and Evan Carlson WIN CONROEBASS Weekend Series Tournament with 27.17 pounds!

*39 teams today, 38 paid
(*2020 Anglers of the Year fish free!)

1st Place - Tim and Evan Carlson
27.17 lbs.
$2,100.00

2nd Place - Scott Stephens and Michael Burks
26.00 lbs.
$1,100.00

3rd Place - Taylor Robbins and Jamie Cooley
21.53 lbs.
$800.00

4th Place - Jamie Yancy and Dustin Carlson