Texas Fishing Forum

Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling.

Posted By: Colton D

Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 12:31 PM

Some updates for Bois D’Arc. Really nice ramp area on 897.

Attached picture 2CFF98AC-4925-498F-A3C6-02155724E4C9.jpeg
Attached picture 9427FC9A-44A9-4BCF-9DE4-85C1174C61A9.jpeg
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 12:52 PM

Good news!
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 01:35 PM

thumb
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 01:45 PM

banana
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 02:05 PM

clap
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 02:24 PM

Should get some nice runoff on Friday.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 02:46 PM

Very cool
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 03:32 PM

Looks like nothing structure wise from the future boat ramp photo
Posted By: 21sammy

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 03:38 PM

Does anyone know what type of situation this lake will be in regarding timber? The boat ramp picture looks clear.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 03:56 PM

coolphotos

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 04:04 PM

Sammy I'm looking at the aerial photos of the dam site and looks like they raped most of the old growth timber out of there. Thats what made Fork special they left a bunch of that.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001
Sammy I'm looking at the aerial photos of the dam site and looks like they raped most of the old growth timber out of there. Thats what made Fork special they left a bunch of that.

I sure was hoping they would leave most of it in..
Posted By: Jimbo

Looks like another bowl!

It’s clear from 897 bridge to the dam. (Where the boat ramp picture was taken) The other half of the lake is thick timber besides a 100 yard wide boat lane. So basically, you’ll have some good cover on the south end and just creek channel bends, 2946 roadbed, points, and riprap on the northern end. I’m going out on the SXS soon to start marking creek channel bends and brush piles.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 04:20 PM

FM 1396 not 2946.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 04:26 PM

Thanks for the info Colton

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by 21sammy
Thanks for the info Colton

No Prob, they just put a load of sharelunker offspring in about a week ago.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 04:29 PM

LOL have you seen the price of lumber lately?
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 05:29 PM

Let's say it contributed to what made Fork so special. Fork was the golden child of the TP&WL. Bois D'Arc is like a step cousin that might or might not be related by blood. I agree though..... Leave the timber.

J
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by JacksonBean

Let's say it contributed to what made Fork so special. Fork was the golden child of the TP&WL. Bois D'Arc is like a step cousin that might or might not be related by blood. I agree though..... Leave the timber.

J

When are you going to fly over and video it? See you Thursday mernin!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/19/21 10:53 PM

thumb
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/20/21 01:52 AM

Can anyone drop a pinpoint on google maps where it's gonna be? I keep getting lead to some place in Lubbock

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/20/21 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by dk2429
Can anyone drop a pinpoint on google maps where it's gonna be? I keep getting lead to some place in Lubbock

Bonham TX, if you check mapquest you can see the dam already being built, its one of those odd lakes that runs south to north instead of towards the coast
Posted By: SmalljawNH

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/20/21 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf

LOL have you seen the price of lumber lately?

roflmao no kidding

Does anyone else see the opportunity to have a grass lake in north Texas? I'm sure a lot of guys will drop brush piles, but considering some of the nearby lakes have pads, reeds, and grass... I am holding out some hope that they can keep some grass in it. Anyone else, or am I dreaming?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/20/21 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Colton D
It’s clear from 897 bridge to the dam. (Where the boat ramp picture was taken) The other half of the lake is thick timber besides a 100 yard wide boat lane. So basically, you’ll have some good cover on the south end and just creek channel bends, 2946 roadbed, points, and riprap on the northern end. I’m going out on the SXS soon to start marking creek channel bends and brush piles.

You can get mid-lake (1396 Road Bed), but the backs of creeks are fenced off (for now).
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/20/21 04:15 AM

I read the article just the other day but whisked they’d have included an expected date of when it will be completed and opened to the public.
Posted By: Kodyjoe

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/20/21 03:07 PM

Talked to a lady in their office about when yhey will open it for fishing when it fills up. She said they wont know till it fills and they will decide when to open it Say it will take 2 years to fill but be a lot quicker if we get some big rains.
Posted By: Bowtech32

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/20/21 05:34 PM

You tube has a monthly update on the construction progress

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/20/21 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by SkeeterRonnie

J

I'm off tomorrow. We can put the GoPro on the wing tie down and make a series of low passes. C'mon. I work Thursday.
Posted By: MDM

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/20/21 10:05 PM

Back when Fork was filling up (and before opening to the public) I rode a Honda trail bike all around Big and Little Caney. Saw lots of interesting things but with it being before civilian use GPS and with large uncleared timber areas it was hard to know exactly where I was a lot of the time. Took pictures and notes relative to notable landmarks which was about the only way to relate to specific locations. What turned out to be even more challenging, especially with no really good lake maps at the time, was trying to understand where the ultimate shoreline would be and how deep the water would be at many of the locations I toured. Some areas I thought might end up being shallow or deep turned out to be much different once the lake was full. With the accuracy of today's GPS, relocating some small scale features is now quite doable but to predict the future depth of a specific location you would need the elevation of the fish holding feature vs. the design full pool elevation of the lake (and/or the lake level during seasonal fluctuations). Think many portable GPS units show elevation but not sure how accurate they are at the consumer level. Today, technology advancements should make pre-fill topographical research a lot more accurate. Hope this new lake turns out to be a productive one and more lasting than Cooper.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/20/21 10:49 PM

J

I'm off tomorrow. We can put the GoPro on the wing tie down and make a series of low passes. C'mon. I work Thursday.

buzz me man, buzz me!

wave the wings if ya see me, only about 5 mi. north on fm 100, riverby airstrip is no more, fyi. grin
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/20/21 11:55 PM

thumb
Posted By: Festivus

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/21/21 06:25 AM

Did the freeze affect the Florida strain fish young they were stocking there? I've read that Florida strain bass do not do well in the extreme cold we got here.
Posted By: Mac Town Fuzz

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/25/21 03:46 AM

I’m in Leonard as well and am very excited for this. I have high hopes that it will be a great fishery. My fear is that 8 ft pipe they ran will suck a lot of water quick. I worry about the fluctuating water levels.
Posted By: davisxx

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/25/21 10:49 AM

How many think this lake is just going to be another Cooper? Good for a couple of years then just a mud hole....
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/25/21 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Festivus
Did the freeze affect the Florida strain fish young they were stocking there? I've read that Florida strain bass do not do well in the extreme cold we got here.

I don’t think the cold did anything other than make them sluggish during the low temps. They aren’t the only Florida strain bass in Texas, and there hasn’t been a massive fish kill. Florida strain bass are harder to catch when a front comes through.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/25/21 06:27 PM

Saw something posted not long ago bout how they are doing this lake so it will be better than Fork. I think that is about the biggest BS i have heard in a long time
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/25/21 06:44 PM

If what I read earlier in this thread is true, that they have put Share fish into this lake, it does not have a chance to become a Fork. For its first years they did not stock anything but Florida fish into Fork.
With Sharelunker fish it won't have as many pure Florida fish in it.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/25/21 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Allison1
If what I read earlier in this thread is true, that they have put Share fish into this lake, it does not have a chance to become a Fork. For its first years they did not stock anything but Florida fish into Fork.

Aren't all the fish that the ShareLunker program breeds pure Florida strain? I mean I know Norther/Florida crosses are caught and turned in to the program, but only the pure Florida's are introduced into the program and spawned?

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/25/21 06:53 PM

Yes sir that is what they are stocking. Said the same thing bout Cooper Lake being the next Fork. Boy did they ever miss that one
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/25/21 07:07 PM

Maybe I am mistaken but early on in the program Sharelunkers were not as good as pure Florida fish. That may have changed.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/26/21 05:05 AM

Glad she’s filling but when’s she gonna open?
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/26/21 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright

Aren't all the fish that the ShareLunker program breeds pure Florida strain? I mean I know Norther/Florida crosses are caught and turned in to the program, but only the pure Florida's are introduced into the program and spawned?

I thought the logic of the 13lb fish was they would know it is 100% Fl bass. No electricity of the other genes allow the fish to reach 13 lbs

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/26/21 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by outfishdya

I thought the logic of the 13lb fish was they would know it is 100% Fl bass. No electricity of the other genes allow the fish to reach 13 lbs

No that’s not the case. I caught a legacy ShareLunker in 2017 and though it was proven genetically to be an offspring of another Sharelunker previously caught from a different lake mine wasn’t pure Florida strain. If they’re not pure Florida then they want use the fry for brood fish or donate them to another lake, all the fry will be returned back to the lake the none pure Florida was caught from.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/26/21 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Festivus

Didn’t think of this, I wonder what the impact was on the stocking efforts
Posted By: LittleGazoo

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/26/21 05:17 PM

Everyone start hauling & broadcasting hydrilla stems in. . .

And please no sandbass!

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/26/21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Mosby
Originally Posted by outfishdya

No that’s not the case. I caught a legacy ShareLunker in 2017 and though it was proven genetically to be an offspring of another Sharelunker previously caught from a different lake mine wasn’t pure Florida strain. If they’re not pure Florida then they want use the fry for brood fish or donate them to another lake, all the fry will be returned back to the lake the none pure Florida was caught from.

Excellent point Larry. Congrats again!

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/26/21 05:33 PM

J

It was more than just timber that made Fork special. Wood County is the largest milk producer in the world. Hundreds of dairy farms around Fork. Every time it rained it fertilized the lake and everything in it. That fertilizer and the way the brood ponds were stocked prior to the lake filling were huge contributors to the lake's success.

Think about this: Fork finished filling and made final pool of 403' above sea level in 1985 and then in Nov 1986 Mark Stevenson caught Ethel at 17.67. That should tell you what kind of fish were swimming around in the brood ponds.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/26/21 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by LittleGazoo

And please no sandbass!

Please.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/26/21 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
Originally Posted by LittleGazoo

And please no sandbass!

Please.

Not sure, You would want to get caught.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/26/21 09:18 PM

Based on the Tax rate in Fannin County, doubt I will be moving that way. 2.4, thats right up there with Houston, Dallas Austin if I read the property tax rate right.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/26/21 10:00 PM

hmmm I think there's some confusion. You might refer to a 13+ lb bass as a ShareLunker but only the pure Floridas are kept for breeding. In other words, stocking ShareLunker fingerlings is stocking Florida fingerlings. This might not have been the rule from the start but it's how they do it now. This lake won't be a Fork for a laundry list of reasons but there will be some great genetics swimmming around in your inaugural class of fish and they are doing it right by giving the bluegill a nice head start.

Most LMB swimming around in our lakes are intergrades of varying degrees. There's some "non-Florida" genetics in the vast majority and you can look at the results of years past to see that hasn't changed. ShareLunkers also spawn while in the wild so the presence of the same genetic material in your fish can mean a whole lot of different things.

J

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/27/21 12:19 AM

hmmm I think there's some confusion. You might refer to a 13+ lb bass as a ShareLunker but only the pure Floridas are kept for breeding. In other words, stocking ShareLunker fingerlings is stocking Florida fingerlings. This might not have been the rule from the start but it's how they do it now. This lake won't be a Fork for a laundry list of reasons but there will be some great genetics swimmming around in your inaugural class of fish and they are doing it right by giving the bluegill a nice head start.

Most LMB swimming around in our lakes are intergrades of varying degrees. There's some "non-Florida" genetics in the vast majority and you can look at the results of years past to see that hasn't changed. ShareLunkers also spawn while in the wild so the presence of the same genetic material in your fish can mean a whole lot of different things.

J

They did electrofish everything out of the ponds before stocking. So the F1 genetics should be high
Sure, some native in the creeks may pass theough, but that's definitely not a bad thing!

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/27/21 01:29 AM

Well Lake Bohnam is releasing water into it right now so chances are there are some natives getting in.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/27/21 01:42 AM

Guess Bonham Lake caught a lot of water last week. Drove down Saturday evening to look at Boisdarc and 1396 road was under water. They put a cable across the road at top of the hill to keep people from driving down it.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/27/21 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
Based on the Tax rate in Fannin County, doubt I will be moving that way. 2.4, thats right up there with Houston, Dallas Austin if I read the property tax rate right.

There is some High Rent Districts up in there! OMG
Posted By: Rocky Robison

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/27/21 05:37 AM

If any of you are interested in signing up for email updates directly from North Texas Water District about the lake, the email updates are very informative. Here is the link.
https://boisdarclake.org/enewsletter-signup/
Here is a link in the email, and today's email had the story about the giant oxygenator they are installing by the dam, some pretty interesting information in the emails.
https://ntmwd.us19.list-manage.com/...36196&id=494e339062&e=420437bee3

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/27/21 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

There is some High Rent Districts up in there! OMG

lol, 95% of fannin is rural farm/ranch land, ag exempt stuff.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/27/21 10:12 AM

more coming for the creek.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/27/21 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kodyjoe
Guess Bonham Lake caught a lot of water last week. Drove down Saturday evening to look at Boisdarc and 1396 road was under water. They put a cable across the road at top of the hill to keep people from driving down it.

don't think they want to let it flood fm 273 again, the locals may not tolerate it again. lol
very possible it could be full by next spring, open is another story.

the watershed for the lake directly is huge, add in bonham and you have some water. bonham was high yesterday when I went over so I expect they will keep feeding bois d'arc.
in 2015 the lake would have filled in 3-4 months, I ended up not being able to get to paris, honey grove or bonham for 3 days, bois d'arc ran well over 30' over flood for about 4 days, texoma overran the spillway for reference.
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/27/21 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rocky Robison
If any of you are interested in signing up for email updates directly from North Texas Water District about the lake, the email updates are very informative. Here is the link.
Here is a link in the email, and today's email had the story about the giant oxygenator they are installing by the dam, some pretty interesting information in the emails.

I can't find the story about the giant Oxygenator by the dam. Why are they installing that?

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/27/21 06:30 PM

Yea Hop i have a buncha picyures of it all flooded down there when i hunted it all. Got some when it was flooding bad on my game cameras. Had all that debris going by and camera was taking picts till it got above my camera. Funny thing is the sd card wasnt messed up and the camera still works. Bout 4 more of them not so lucky lol.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/27/21 07:25 PM

Luckily, she's about to get a good amount of runoff from this next rain system. A few more of these and it will kickstart a great fill to the lake.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/27/21 09:58 PM

Some of the swollen creeks down by the dam extend beyond FM 1396 as mentioned above. Here are my pictures from the FM1396 South Turn-Around.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/27/21 11:03 PM

You musta been there Saturday evening too.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/28/21 04:03 AM

Here is the info:
[Linked Image]

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/28/21 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by LakeForkGroupie

I can't find the story about the giant Oxygenator by the dam. Why are they installing that?

Sorry LakeForkGroupie just saw this!
Thanks for picking up my slack David Burton!
Originally Posted by David Burton

Here is the info:
[Linked Image]

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/28/21 11:41 AM

That’s awesome!!
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/28/21 02:23 PM

Here is the info:
[Linked Image]

That's pretty cool. Despite what people think that TPWD is just some blind rat doing stuff. It sure seems like they are learning from the past and trying new things and putting a ton of effort into making this a great lake. I appreciate all their effort, I hope it works and takes some pressure off of Fork.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/28/21 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by LakeForkGroupie

Sorry LakeForkGroupie just saw this!
Thanks for picking up my slack David Burton!

Here is the info:
[Linked Image]

Thanks for posting that Rockie. A lot of uninformed folks get on here posting their dissatisfaction with the Texas fisheries until they go to another state and try their luck.

Ask some of the BASS Elites guys what their opinions are on Texas lakes compared to the rest of the Nation!

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/28/21 04:14 PM

Here is the info:
[Linked Image]

That's the area of the lake I'll fill up my live-wells on tournament days!
Posted By: CaddaBoom24

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/28/21 06:57 PM

Although I wish they would have kept more of the timber, I still have high hopes for this lake and honestly can't wait to fish it! With it being the first major lake in Texas in over 30 years, it's going to no doubt take pressure off of surrounding lakes too, especially Fork. I think we all can agree that less pressure at Fork is MORE than welcome...LOL.

Appreciate the info!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/28/21 07:18 PM

New State record, here we come!!!

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/28/21 10:11 PM

we are forecast to get about 3", I am expecting over 4.

should be mostly run off since the area was still wet from the last ones.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/28/21 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

Thanks for posting that Rockie. A lot of uninformed folks get on here posting their dissatisfaction with the Texas fisheries until they go to another state and try their luck.

Ask some of the BASS Elites guys what their opinions are on Texas lakes compared to the rest of the Nation!

I know some of them said, Ray Hubbard is a cesspool and was one of, if not the most trashiest lake they have been on.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/28/21 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by BThomas

I know some of them said, Ray Hubbard is a cesspool and was one of, if not the most trashiest lake they have been on.

Ray Hubbard is nasty for sure

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/28/21 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

Ray Hubbard is nasty for sure

You know it. Especially, when you use a crank bait and pull in some condoms.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/28/21 11:25 PM

I'm excited about the lake. After seeing the pictures of it cleared I kinda hope it doesn't fill up real fast. Maybe give it a little while longer for the brush to grow up. That oxygen pump is cool.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/29/21 12:14 AM

I'm excited about the lake. After seeing the pictures of it cleared I kinda hope it doesn't fill up real fast. Maybe give it a little while longer for the brush to grow up. That oxygen pump is cool.

True.

...as for the O2 pump? Hopefully it will make a bubble cloud. I have a lake near me that has one and you can catch fish till your arm falls off by casting into the bubbles.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/29/21 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
we are forecast to get about 3", I am expecting over 4.

should be mostly run off since the area was still wet from the last ones.

[Linked Image]

thumb
Posted By: happycampr

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/29/21 08:53 AM

I sent an email yesterday to waterdatafortexas.org requesting addition of Bois d'arc since it is now officially an impoundment... we'll see if I get a response. Will post if I do, would like to follow along with the progression for sure.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/29/21 12:23 PM

4" at least before the rain stops. Still dumping up here.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/29/21 12:29 PM

now over 4" runoff is gonna add a lot of water.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/29/21 02:01 PM

They better hurry up and finish the dam.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/29/21 09:19 PM

For sure... they don't want a Grapevine situation!

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/northeast-tarrant/article3859104.html

Grapevine was expected to take years to fill but ended up at capacity in WEEKS!

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/29/21 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by happycampr

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/northeast-tarrant/article3859104.html

It that true? I've heard the same story from various locals on several different north texas lakes.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/29/21 10:09 PM

It that true? I've heard the same story from various locals on several different north texas lakes.

Sure looks like it, maybe not since completion, but definitely above the expected curve for ongoing construction...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/29/21 10:10 PM

Lake Arlington filled up in 28 days

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/29/21 11:51 PM

Tawak filled in a matter of hours according to local methhead legend.

So, there's that......

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 02:37 AM

roflmao

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 12:26 PM

[Linked Image]

I ended up with almost 4.25" and the way it fell most of it became runoff.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 12:36 PM

Hop we need some pics of the new lake.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 01:28 PM

[Linked Image]

I ended up with almost 4.25" and the way it fell most of it became runoff.

We had 2.5 here this AM. peep

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 02:14 PM

So, there's that......

Heard the same about Richland Chambers roflmao
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 02:39 PM

So, there's that......

Heard the same about Richland Chambers roflmao

They all did..LOL. And they all had catfish so big that the scuba diver wouldn't go back down to check for dam repairs.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 03:32 PM

Hop we need some pics of the new lake.

Just took these, i am about15 mins from the ramps.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 03:34 PM

this is where fm 1397 runs into it, lookin good.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by joebass2

They all did..LOL. And they all had catfish so big that the scuba diver wouldn't go back down to check for dam repairs.

OMG I can not tell you how many times I've heard that fishing from the bank @ loafers bend on Whitney roflmao
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 04:15 PM

That looks like a nice launching facility.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27

top of the line, real nice and the ramps look to be plenty long in case of dry spells/drawdowns. those are just off the bridge, fm 897.
already an rv park right by them too, hidden valley rv park and they had trailers there but probably dam workers for now. ramp is less than 1/2 mi.

gonna be a good lake from what I am seeing. looks like they left some structure and created some, still not trees but bottom around the bridge is lookin good.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 04:21 PM

Boat ramp doesn't look too busy, may head over there this afternoon
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 04:22 PM

top of the line, real nice and the ramps look to be plenty long in case of dry spells/drawdowns. those are just off the bridge, fm 897.
already an rv park right by them too, hidden valley rv park and they had trailers there but probably dam workers for now. ramp is less than 1/2 mi.

gonna be a good lake from what I am seeing. looks like they left some structure and created some, still not trees but bottom around the bridge is lookin good.

The areas you accessed for pictures, is that accessible by anyone? Im wanting to take a trip up to look around

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 04:26 PM

So basically they removed most of all the cover and are just flooding a barren flood plain?

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 04:32 PM

ramps are at the red X and the road bed is the orange for perspective.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by UTDmiller

The areas you accessed for pictures, is that accessible by anyone? Im wanting to take a trip up to look around

ramps and other spot are public access, looked like another ramp maybe at the old road bed but the gate was half closed with workers so I left.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 04:46 PM

So basically they removed most of all the cover and are just flooding a barren flood plain?

[Linked Image]

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 04:48 PM

most of that was probably hay pasture/cattle raising, along the creek and some other places may have had some timber but most land around here is cattle oriented.
lots of short trees growing that will be 10-20' before the water gets to them permanent (bridge and upstream).
should be a lot of grass by the time it fills, that will help if they leave it.

overall looks to be a pretty decent fishery, gonna be nice to be that close too.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 04:52 PM

[Linked Image]

this was my first trip there, waited for most of the commotion to subside. going to try to get to the dam area and a couple of fms and see what I can see.

fm 100 got stupid for a while when the gravel wagons were running daily, may be again if they are still finishing the dam.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 05:11 PM

Sure looks like it, maybe not since completion, but definitely above the expected curve for ongoing construction...

[Linked Image]

The museum in downtown Grapevine just west of the visitors center had a really interesting infographic about when the lake was impounded a few years ago when we went... wish I would have taken a picture of it, can't find it on any of the pictures posted to Google maps for the museum.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 05:11 PM

[Linked Image]

Parking is going to be a cluster. Folks cannot pull into a slanted parking spot. How do they expect folks to pull straight in ?
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 05:18 PM

Oops ... roflmao

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 06:08 PM

[Linked Image]

Parking is going to be a cluster. Folks cannot pull into a slanted parking spot. How do they expect folks to pull straight in ?

a tournament will cause more than a cluster too, not near enough parking considering how close dfw is, even a busy weekend will pack it up fast.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 06:43 PM

[Linked Image]

this was my first trip there, waited for most of the commotion to subside. going to try to get to the dam area and a couple of fms and see what I can see.

fm 100 got stupid for a while when the gravel wagons were running daily, may be again if they are still finishing the dam.

You can't get around there unless you jump fences and walk on "posted" land. There are places to take pictures at bridge crossings, but the days of walking the lake bed along abandoned roads is pretty much over.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 06:46 PM

There are a lot more parking spots than you realize. The three ramp areas are "significant".

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 08:05 PM

Just came from there Hop. Talked to one of the guys that works there said its came up bout 4 ft since yesterday. Take the road off 100 at Allens Point and come out at Allens Chapel then take 1396 to the east boat ramp and you can get good picts there. Lot closer to the water on that side plus you can go to end of 1396

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 08:27 PM

Just came from there Hop. Talked to one of the guys that works there said its came up bout 4 ft since yesterday. Take the road off 100 at Allens Point and come out at Allens Chapel then take 1396 to the east boat ramp and you can get good picts there. Lot closer to the water on that side plus you can go to end of 1396

thumb

that is plan b.

I know the folks overseeing all that, they are up here at riverby, gonna hit up the boss man soon for a "tour".

would love to take the sherp down there. lol

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 04/30/21 08:36 PM

Yep got buncha friends that work down. Nephew works for guy over a lot of the clearing they done. When it dries up gonna get one them take me down to the dam. They also got the clearing contract over at the lake they gonna build at Ladonia. When all that gets here from the golf course in Bonham it will be up a lot more

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 05/28/21 11:42 PM

New email today had this information about the lake level.
Bois d'Arc Lake water line March 2021 (top) and May 2021 (bottom),
as seen from the southern boat ramp.

Recent rains continue to fill Bois d'Arc Lake - as of May 27, the water surface elevation was the 511.3' mean sea level (msl). The conservation pool, or the level at which Bois d'Arc Lake is considered full, is the 534' msl. NTMWD is adding a lake level indicator to the Bois d'Arc Lake website soon.
The lake will take some time to fill and while it is filling, construction continues (read below for the latest information). Several requirements must be met before the lake is ready to open and safe for recreation, including construction. Additionally, NTMWD is consulting with the Fannin County Sheriff's Office and Texas Parks and Wildlife to determine the appropriate time.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 05/28/21 11:54 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 05/29/21 12:10 AM

Thanks for the info Rocky. I was thinking about driving up there to see it this weekend.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 05/29/21 12:46 AM

They are letting it out bout as fast as it is going in. Deputy told me last week they have to keep it at a certain level cause they still have a bunch of graves to move at a cemetary on the west end.
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 05/29/21 01:08 AM

Don't get too excited guys, fished out there in my kayak today for 9 hours didn't catch a damn thing.. place is a toilet.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 05/29/21 10:39 PM

Anyone know what the, "Lake Bonham dam modification" is going to be? [Linked Image]

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 05/30/21 03:28 AM

They were reinforcing the downslope side because the outflow channel is no longer just a creek. They also adjusted some of the roads below the dam and added two bridges up there.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 05/31/21 10:55 AM

Thanks David! cheers
Posted By: R&K

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 05/31/21 04:07 PM

It's looking good!

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 05/31/21 04:10 PM

Glad they are getting the past 60 days of rain; should be a good test of the surrounding area roads/bridges flooding susceptibility.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 05/31/21 04:33 PM

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=07332622
Looking at the gauge downstream of the dam it does look like they are releasing quite a bit of water.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 05/31/21 07:00 PM

Just got back from the hiway bridge on 897. Lots more water there than a couple weeks ago but would be really high if they werent letting it out. Water is bout 75 yds from the boat ramps by the bridge.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 05/31/21 07:07 PM

They are letting it out bout as fast as it is going in. Deputy told me last week they have to keep it at a certain level cause they still have a bunch of graves to move at a cemetary on the west end.

They filled RC and forgot to move a bunch of graves
Posted By: POPPA

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 05/31/21 11:34 PM

So, there's that......

ha ha ! i like that

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 06/01/21 10:37 AM

They filled RC and forgot to move a bunch of graves

kinda gives a whole new meaning to "floaters".

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 06/07/21 09:50 PM

I see where they put 900 two year old sharelunker offspring in today.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 06/07/21 11:57 PM

I saw that too. thumb
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 06/08/21 12:23 AM

https://www.facebook.com/InlandFisheriesDenisonDistrict/
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 06/08/21 12:32 AM

Sweet, should be great for the North guys.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 06/08/21 12:55 AM

They are stocking the lake good. I think they had somewhere around 15 brood ponds that have been stocked up to 4 years

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 06/08/21 03:00 AM

They are stocking the lake good. I think they had somewhere around 15 brood ponds that have been stocked up to 4 years

thumb
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 06/08/21 11:50 PM

Where did they put them in? Did it say?

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 06/09/21 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by deucer02

Where did they put them in? Did it say?

They are not releasing locations. They appear to have enough trouble with trespassing as is.
Posted By: FSWITX

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 06/09/21 01:30 AM

thumb Exciting for sure.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 06/09/21 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Colton D

Assuming SXS is a “side by side”? UTV? Do they allow you access to the property?

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 06/10/21 12:09 AM

No they do not They have sheriffs dept patrolling it. They have signs up so i wouldnt want to get caught on it
Posted By: dallasdawg

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 06/20/21 03:39 AM

Water level relative to FM897 boat ramp as of June 19, 2021

[Linked Image]

Old FM1396 North side of the lake

[Linked Image]

Raw water intake at dam from FM1396 (250mm telephoto)

[Linked Image]

Looking North from under FM897 bridge

[Linked Image]

Look towards dam from FM897 bridge

[Linked Image]

West side of FM897, water beginning to show from standing timber

[Linked Image]

West side of FM897 just before standing timber

[Linked Image]

FM1396 road bed north side at current water's edge

[Linked Image]

Entrance to FM987 boat ramp

[Linked Image]

Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 06/20/21 09:57 PM

I here stories about people having crazy days, numbers wise when they filled Rayburn. I wonder if tgis will be similar. If they have to wait a year to open to boats I wouldnt be surprised if someone finds where the scholls hang out. And we will never hear a word haha
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 06/21/21 12:41 AM

Looks like in some of those pics that they let some water out. It may just be the pics but it looks like a water line about a foot above the water on some of those bushes
Posted By: Used2fish

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 06/21/21 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by the skipper
Looks like in some of those pics that they let some water out. It may just be the pics but it looks like a water line about a foot above the water on some of those bushes

The dam is not complete. This large amount of rain actually hurt as it slowed progress.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 06/21/21 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by the skipper

You can see the water line on the bridge pillar and also that long chunk of driftwood wasn't drug away from the waters edge.

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 07/20/21 10:41 PM

Any locals know how much they lack in completing the dam?

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 07/21/21 03:07 PM

Couple weeks ago i heard they still like bout 7 ft on the dam. Thats a lot of dirt when its 2 miles long
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 07/21/21 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by BrockstaRama
I here stories about people having crazy days, numbers wise when they filled Rayburn. I wonder if tgis will be similar. If they have to wait a year to open to boats I wouldnt be surprised if someone finds where the scholls hang out. And we will never hear a word haha

That was in the 60's, same as Toledo. Different era but it'll be good for about a year or two is my guess then slowly retract into a predictable reservoir. When Naconiche opened a few years ago it was lights out for about a year then slowly became another lake. I can only imagine the pressure when it does open. Non pressured fish are fun to catch but they 100 percent change once pressured for a while

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 07/21/21 09:00 PM

Rumor is some of the locals knew where the brood tanks were located and are already fishing the lake in those areas and already catching some decent fish. Duck boats mostly.
Posted By: Bowtech32

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 07/21/21 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by BrockstaRama

Ray Roberts was the same way, I remember catching 50 to 80 bass a day up to about 3 pounds that first couple of years.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 07/22/21 02:31 AM

Rumor is some of the locals knew where the brood tanks were located and are already fishing the lake in those areas and already catching some decent fish. Duck boats mostly.

Those same guys are fishing the ponds for the other lake now..

Re: Bois D’Arc updates... she’s filling. - 07/22/21 02:46 AM

If they are must be at night heck you can see all over that sucker wide open as it is .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum