Texas Fishing Forum

Topwater Poppers

Posted By: Topwater2

Topwater Poppers - 04/18/21 12:37 AM

Which would you go with, Lobina Rio Rico's or Yellow Magic? Do you have a favorite color in either?
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Topwater Poppers - 04/18/21 12:51 AM

Both, just had the paint knocked off of a Rico, but a 1/4 oz bone Ym is hard to beat!
Posted By: Atta

Re: Topwater Poppers - 04/19/21 02:54 PM

Yellow Magic is by far the nest I have ever used. The Rico is second in my opinion.
Posted By: cnoland2

Re: Topwater Poppers - 04/19/21 09:41 PM

YM in Bone always
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Topwater Poppers - 04/19/21 09:50 PM

Yellow Magic, my next favorite is a splash it.
Posted By: ksalmon

Re: Topwater Poppers - 04/20/21 10:02 PM

Yellow Magic. Bone. Not even close for me.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Topwater Poppers - 04/20/21 10:17 PM

I've thrown Magnum Pop R's in the front of the boat and in the back of the boat while others were throwing Yellow Magics and Ricos.

I can't recall a trip where the Ricos or YMs produced any more or bigger bites.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Topwater Poppers - 04/28/21 06:33 PM

Yellow Magic. The Japanese Shad has worked for us in multiple lakes. When used to only have one, my son would pick it up and start throwing it and catching fish. I would put a Pop R on it would not catch the same fish that he was catching at all.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Topwater Poppers - 04/28/21 06:46 PM

Heddon Hula Popper, the best ever.

Your fish have never even seen one.

(and the Crazy Crawler works as good as a Whopper you know what.)
Posted By: Hulapoppin

Re: Topwater Poppers - 04/29/21 12:47 AM

If I’ve been on that lake the fish have seen em, hence the screen name.
Posted By: JC1965

Re: Topwater Poppers - 04/29/21 02:39 PM

I do like the "chug bug" its bigger than an average pop-r, cast better and you can also walk the dog with it.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Topwater Poppers - 04/29/21 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hulapoppin
If I’ve been on that lake the fish have seen em, hence the screen name.

cheers
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Topwater Poppers - 04/30/21 01:37 AM

I agree with the Yellow Magic bone, hard to beat.
Posted By: H&H

Re: Topwater Poppers - 04/30/21 09:48 PM

I have fished all of them each one is a little different but chug bug and bone my are my favorite new chugbug colors are not as good, but for Dearman he likes a rebel pop-r and the ones he stayed up all night sanding to perfection are the best hands down, Like a hot baseball just when they are about to break and crack its money
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Topwater Poppers - 04/30/21 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by wjg
I have fished all of them each one is a little different but chug bug and bone my are my favorite new chugbug colors are not as good, but for Dearman he likes a rebel pop-r and the ones he stayed up all night sanding to perfection are the best hands down, Like a hot baseball just when they are about to break and crack its money

So you are saying that you like the chug bug better than a Yellow Magic +1 and the Shower blow? Is that correct?

Re: Topwater Poppers - 04/30/21 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
Originally Posted by wjg

So you are saying that you like the chug bug better than a Yellow Magic +1 and the Shower blow? Is that correct?

No each one is good in different situations just have to try all and see which ones work for you

Re: Topwater Poppers - 04/30/21 10:59 PM

Have you thrown a Yellow Magic +1 and the Shower blow??

Re: Topwater Poppers - 04/30/21 11:22 PM

I love the yellow magic (bone). I haven’t thrown the shower blows, just looked it up, but I’m going to get one and try it when Sam Rayburn starts to drop this summer

Re: Topwater Poppers - 05/01/21 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by wjg

I love the yellow magic (bone). I haven’t thrown the shower blows, just looked it up, but I’m going to get one and try it when Sam Rayburn starts to drop this summer

wjg, Yellow Magic (+1).

Re: Topwater Poppers - 05/01/21 02:49 PM

The yellow magic +1 is hard to find because they quit making them years ago. They were 3/8 in weight and had a slight curve to them and you can walk the dog with them. Walk and spit...LOL it works.

Re: Topwater Poppers - 05/01/21 03:09 PM

The yellow magic +1 is hard to find because they quit making them years ago. They were 3/8 in weight and had a slight curve to them and you can walk the dog with them. Walk and spit...LOL it works.

Yup, Ebay but you'll pay the price. I have one left, stars, stripes, red, white, and blue. I'm going to strip it down and paint it bone. The OLD YM company name is Dairitsu. If you go to Ebay and look at their baits you'll see (THE LAST) Dairitsu Jerkbait. It's the ISS Saltwater Minnow Lure Kit, it is a fish catching machine, just needs a paint job.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum