Texas Fishing Forum

Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG

Posted By: KenTx1962

Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/15/21 03:03 PM

This is a video leading up to one soon talking to a prop expert, so let me know what questions you have for them and I will make sure and add to that video.

Posted By: toddfish

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/16/21 10:30 PM

Interesting.
Posted By: PieFiller1

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/19/21 01:52 AM

Good stuff, you going to get into cup, rake and different styles of props? I've always wondered about chopper props as a buddy of mine ran one in our bass club years ago on a really fast Bullet
Posted By: PieFiller1

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/19/21 01:55 AM

Good stuff, you going to get into cup, rake and different styles of props? I've always wondered about chopper props as a buddy of mine ran one in our bass club years ago on a really fast Bullet

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/19/21 02:58 AM

I am, part 2 drops this Tuesday and we do cup, rake, 3 vs 4 vs 5 vs 6 blade props, push/pull theory, rake, sport master vs torque master lower units, lots of fun stuff coming
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/19/21 07:05 PM

Ask the expert is there a way lace you can try a different prop without buying it. I’m running a 206 Champion with a 250 pro xs 4 stroke with a fury 3 24 p it’s good until it gets hot thinking of trying a fury 4 23p to get a better hole shot in summer.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/19/21 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 206champion
Ask the expert is there a way lace you can try a different prop without buying it. I’m running a 206 Champion with a 250 pro xs 4 stroke with a fury 3 24 p it’s good until it gets hot thinking of trying a fury 4 23p to get a better hole shot in summer.

Problem with the fury4’s, is they tend to sling blades pretty often. Sucks when a $700 prop slings a blade.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/19/21 09:27 PM

Best video out there.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/19/21 09:51 PM

As always. Good job on your video. cheers

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/20/21 04:18 AM

I know Mercury does have a loaner program, it works through their dealers, reach out to a Mercury dealer in your area and if they have stock I suspect they will let you run them

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/20/21 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

Problem with the fury4’s, is they tend to sling blades pretty often. Sucks when a $700 prop slings a blade.

Grout my understanding is that the alloy the Fury's are made off is hard as heck, but that makes them more brittle than more traditional SS (what I've read, I will get to the truth on that). That alloy allows them to make the blades thinner, and just like any knife, thinner blade cuts easier, the easier it cuts the less HP it takes to turn them, so I suspect that thiness also has something to do with this issue. I have one with a crack ear in my barn now, so we will definitely be talking about durability and how actual material they are constructed from effects performance and durabilty. Honestly before I started this series I just assumed they were all made of SS....I'm learning.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/20/21 01:19 PM

There are dozens of grades of stainless steel depending on their use.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/20/21 02:29 PM

My guess is you won't be impressed with the holeshot of the 4 blade Fury as opposed to the three. I know it doesn't sound logical but the 4 blade props never had as good a holeshot on any of my boats as the 3 blades and I'm talking about a bunch of diff boats too.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/20/21 04:11 PM

cheers

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/23/21 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Allison1

Can you expand on that a little, I'd like to know more?
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/23/21 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

My guess is you won't be impressed with the holeshot of the 4 blade Fury as opposed to the three. I know it doesn't sound logical but the 4 blade props never had as good a holeshot on any of my boats as the 3 blades and I'm talking about a bunch of diff boats too.

I've had the exact experience myself. Never found a 4 blade that would holeshot as well as a 3 blade of the proper pitch.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/23/21 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by KenTx1962
Originally Posted by Allison1

Can you expand on that a little, I'd like to know more?

The harder the metal the more prone it is to cracking from blade flex
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/23/21 03:38 PM

A great video series, would be to have 4-5 different props, a hydraulic JP and test all the props on the same boat. Takes a ton of time though, but would awesome to see.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Props - How to Pick Best for Speed, Hole Shot or MPG - 04/23/21 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

So you think a 3 blade has a better hole shot? I always thought the 4 blade was better but idk.
© 2021 Texas Fishing Forum