Texas Fishing Forum

Lew’s® Pro SP SLP Series thoughts?

Posted By: TimFish4Life

Lew’s® Pro SP SLP Series thoughts? - 04/09/21 11:02 PM

Just curious who has tried the Lew’s® Pro SP SLP Series (their new shallow spool skipping reel). I fish a lot of docks and am fair with skipping. But I wonder if this is a worthy upgrade?

Re: Lew’s® Pro SP SLP Series thoughts? - 04/10/21 02:08 AM

I guess no one got it yet lol
Posted By: grandbassslayer

Re: Lew’s® Pro SP SLP Series thoughts? - 04/10/21 02:23 AM

Been sold out everywhere I have checked. Guy at BPS told me they got a shipment of 7 and they sold out in a day or so.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Lew’s® Pro SP SLP Series thoughts? - 04/10/21 03:51 AM

I was interested in one until someone on here mentioned that Daiwa makes one as well.

I am going to get a Daiwa one of these days. cheers

Re: Lew’s® Pro SP SLP Series thoughts? - 04/10/21 04:43 AM

Oh wow, I didn’t even consider if they were hard to find or not. Bad assumption on my part. BigDozer do you know what that Daiwa version is called? I’ve also been wanting to try a Daiwa out myself.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Lew’s® Pro SP SLP Series thoughts? - 04/10/21 02:47 PM

I've been waiting on my order from lews for a while now.
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: Lew’s® Pro SP SLP Series thoughts? - 04/10/21 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
I was interested in one until someone on here mentioned that Daiwa makes one as well.

I am going to get a Daiwa one of these days. cheers

The Daiwa Tatula Elite PF is a pitching/flipping reel. It does not have a shallow spool. I own one. It is a great reel for what it's designed for. It will cast very good long distances too just not as far as the Tatula Elite.

The Lews Pro SP is made for short range pitching and skipping. It excels at this. I own two of them. With the shallow spool backlashes are fewer and much easier to get out. It casts OK but you can't get much distance with the shallow spool. I have almost cast all of the line off a couple of times. I have no problem skipping with this reel. Only two knocks on the reel. The handle is metal instead of Carbon Fiber and they do not include the line dial on the cast control knob. My guess is they left these features off to keep the price point at $199.

Both reels are great at what they were designed to do.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum