Texas Fishing Forum

Rip Rap Follow Up Question - What if your lake does not have "protected" spawning coves?

Posted By: Heron

Rip Rap Follow Up Question - What if your lake does not have "protected" spawning coves? - 04/08/21 04:06 PM

The little lake I primarily fish, which at 160 acres is probably smaller than a lot of lake arms of many Texas lakes, does not really offer areas protected from the wind. It basically runs north to south and when the wind is from the south, the North/East side gets pounded and vice versa. If there's any wind, there's at least some chop everywhere on the lake and with the winds always changing directions, there are no large areas that are always protected. That said, I'm sure the bass spawn on this lake, like everywhere else.

So my question is, how much should I worry about the wind's affect on potential spawning areas when looking for fish?

FWIW, I tend to focus on the north 1/3 of the lake which is mostly shallow water (5 feet or less), which is full of submerged brush and some aquatic vegetation, and which is where the feeder creek enters the lake, but this area always has lots of chop regardless of wind direction. The entire lake is stained year round. My results have been mixed, at best, and I'm wondering if there are better spots to look in.

Admittedly, since I fish out of a kayak powered by the arms of yours truly, I'm probably a little hyper-sensitive to wind since any wind at all affects me, tbh. Guess I'm just wondering if I'm more worried about the wind than spawning and pre-spawn bass are. As I mentioned in my other post, due to the lake's size, even on the windiest days, the largest waves are only a foot or foot and a half. Also, it's a no wake lake which is mostly observed.
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Rip Rap Follow Up Question - What if your lake does not have "protected" spawning coves? - 04/09/21 05:59 PM

I fish a couple of small ponds similar to what you are describing. The fish still use things that provide some sort of protection whether it is a stump, rock outcropping, underwater indention or other structure in the pond or use an area that because of trees or something else on shore that provides blockage of the prevailing winds.

The best place to look is anywhere you can see the bed.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Rip Rap Follow Up Question - What if your lake does not have "protected" spawning coves? - 04/09/21 11:22 PM

You are blessed to have 160 acres with lots of brush. Spawning fish will be in 3 ft. of water on the larges pieces of wood there. I always start at the Dam where the dirt meets the rocks on each end of the Dam. On these small lakes the largest spawning fish have come on a Black/Blue Jig along the edge of the rip rap. When the wind is out of that direction the Dam will have the calm water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum